View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2013, 08:28 PM
I wanna see this ad! D'ya think it will be on YouTube?

edit edit

Is this it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIAQuIPJod8

That's it now. Will be sat here viewing Go Compare ads on YT all night!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2013, 09:05 PM
That's one of them Tang.........there is another
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2013, 04:56 PM
I think dressing dogs up is ridiculous.

I accept that some dogs find the experience rewarding because it brings positive attention and therefore it is not cruel or unkind but....

Doing things that 'humanise' dogs to this extent is sending out a message that dogs are furry little people and that's why so many end up in rescue - because people forget they are dogs!

Now, I know there are people who are brilliant owners and trainers who dress up their dogs, but I still can't accept dogs being treated in this way.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Kanie View Post
I think dressing dogs up is ridiculous.

I accept that some dogs find the experience rewarding because it brings positive attention and therefore it is not cruel or unkind but....

Doing things that 'humanise' dogs to this extent is sending out a message that dogs are furry little people and that's why so many end up in rescue - because people forget they are dogs!

Now, I know there are people who are brilliant owners and trainers who dress up their dogs, but I still can't accept dogs being treated in this way.
I wonder if you read what the owner of the GCD had to say in this thread? The dog IS a rescue dog, and is now having a wonderful life! I doubt that he would choose to go back to wandering alongside a busy main road and eating rubbish.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I wonder if you read what the owner of the GCD had to say in this thread? The dog IS a rescue dog, and is now having a wonderful life! I doubt that he would choose to go back to wandering alongside a busy main road and eating rubbish.
Hear hear. And, as I said, the award winning dog who starred in the Silent Movie was also a rescued stray.

To be honest, clobber for pets is not cheap and I can't really see couldn't-care-less owners forking out for any!

My minpin has to wear a coat in real cold wet weather. They are known for feeling the cold and all the breed info sites will advise you to 'dress' them against bad weather.

I don't do it coz she looks cute and she isn't keen - I do it because she shivers uncontrollably if 'nekkid' lol!

Here's typical advice for Minpins from respectable sources:
Because Min Pins are so small and have so little body fat and fur, they get quite cold in the winter and need sweaters or jackets that cover the chest and belly.
In fact you can hardly read any info on Minpins without seeing this sort of warning to protect them from harsh weather.
*Care must be taken in cold weather.
*Be sure to protect them from the cold weather.
*Min Pins do not do well in the cold.
*Most members of the breed despise cold weather, rain and snow

Nothing to do with 'humanizing' them. It's for their protection.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2013, 07:21 PM
I thought the ad was funny. And what a clever dog. And thanks to Lee for providing us with the dog's background.

I too put coats on my dogs in adverse weather. And don't have a problem with dogs being dressed up, as long as they don't wear unnecessary gear for long periods of time - viz the woman with 2 chihuahuas who wore dresses all the time, had their nails painted pink, were spoon and bottle fed. (In an episode of My Cat from Hell).
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
I thought the ad was funny. And what a clever dog. And thanks to Lee for providing us with the dog's background.

I too put coats on my dogs in adverse weather. And don't have a problem with dogs being dressed up, as long as they don't wear unnecessary gear for long periods of time - viz the woman with 2 chihuahuas who wore dresses all the time, had their nails painted pink, were spoon and bottle fed. (In an episode of My Cat from Hell).
My Cat from Hell? Oh don't make me start looking up yet another programme on YouTube that I don't get on the telly here!
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
My Cat from Hell? Oh don't make me start looking up yet another programme on YouTube that I don't get on the telly here!
Worth seeing that episode if only for the woman's stupidity!!! Will try to find out what it's called.

PS there is nothing wrong with the cats - but the owners are not satisfying the cats' needs.
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Well, if you read my post properly, you would see that I refered to many owners who dress up their dogs and are thoroughly good owners. The choice of either getting dressed up or wandering the streets eating rubbish is hardly a relevant one. He could have been rescued by someone who gave him a wonderful life that didn't involve dressing up.

I still maintain that when rescue centres are bulging at the seems and there are so many people strugling with dog behavioural issues, I can't see any benefit in anything that encourages people to treat dogs as toys being broadcast.

Of course that shouldn't detract from the fact the GCD has a great life and is obviously really well cared for - but that doesn't mean I'm ever going to find dressing up dogs any more palatable.

As for some breeds actually needing to wear coats in cold weather: perhaps the breeders need to look carefully at what they are producing. I read an article in one of the dog papers about boxers a year or so ago, when a breeder claimed boxers 'couldn't' live outside. The writer argued (and I agree with her) that any working dog should be quite happy living out in a kennel and run, as long as it receives adequate training and attention, in the British climate. Again, the fault lies with breeders (show and pet) who are claiming to be safesguarding and 'promoting' breeds and in fact, producing animals that aren't fit for the job.
Bernie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Kanie View Post

As for some breeds actually needing to wear coats in cold weather: perhaps the breeders need to look carefully at what they are producing.
It has nothing to do with what breeders are producing, but the fact that most houses now have central heating.
I was atually discussing this with my vet a while ago and he said, "Think about it, when you have heating on in the house, do you go out without putting an extra layer on so you don't feel the cold?"

There is a huge difference between putting on a coat in cold weather, and dressing up in dresses and such.

I'm not a fan of dressing up any animal, but if the animal is happy with it then it is no skin off my nose what others choose to do
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >