Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks Mini
I am feeding skinner's Hypoallergenic Salmon & potato....
Considering going back to Burns or JWB or trying a wet diet,Feeding raw isn't an option at the moment.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Sal, Salmon and Potato is just about the best thing for a dog with food allergies - but do check that the Skinners one doesn't contain anything else because some, for some reason, have grains or even animal protein in them. Jimmi used to be on Wafcol Salmon and P. and did really well with no hair problems etc. UNTIL they changed the recipe. Goodness only knows what they added but all his old problems came back - itching, red skin, itchy ears and feet and drinking for England. I put him on Fish4dogs, and he went back to normal thank goodness.

The other thing to remember though, is that absolutely no treats other than vegetables or fish skins are allowed - even a small bit of bread, chicken, dog treat can be enough to set a dog's allergies off. (I go nuts when Jimmi snaffles something that someone has dropped ).
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Sal, Salmon and Potato is just about the best thing for a dog with food allergies - but do check that the Skinners one doesn't contain anything else because some, for some reason, have grains or even animal protein in them. Jimmi used to be on Wafcol Salmon and P. and did really well with no hair problems etc. UNTIL they changed the recipe. Goodness only knows what they added but all his old problems came back - itching, red skin, itchy ears and feet and drinking for England. I put him on Fish4dogs, and he went back to normal thank goodness.

The other thing to remember though, is that absolutely no treats other than vegetables or fish skins are allowed - even a small bit of bread, chicken, dog treat can be enough to set a dog's allergies off. (I go nuts when Jimmi snaffles something that someone has dropped ).
Thanks Sally
I will check the ingredients tomorrow,that's useful to know,I have cut out all treats at the moment,this weight has been an issue for 3/4 years,have really struggled to control it,although she does look to have lost a little but obviously if I can get another walk in and follow vets advice to cut back to 200g a day then we may just get some off her.She isn't going to be pleased,she loves her food
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2013, 09:36 PM
So glad Meg's blood tests came back normal. Hope the antibiotics sort out the skin problems and good luck with finding a suitable food for her to help her lose weight.
Poor Meg - she will wonder what is happening with no treats etc but she will benefit in the long run.
Hugs to you both x
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Thanks Sally
I will check the ingredients tomorrow,that's useful to know,I have cut out all treats at the moment,this weight has been an issue for 3/4 years,have really struggled to control it,although she does look to have lost a little but obviously if I can get another walk in and follow vets advice to cut back to 200g a day then we may just get some off her.She isn't going to be pleased,she loves her food

Oh I know what you mean - it's so awful cutting back their food when they just live for it Jimmi has tiny portions for breakfast and dinner, but he still puts weight on if he cannot walk because of paw troubles or whatever. Wouldn't you just love a dog that you could stuff with food to your heart's content
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2013, 04:53 PM
OK Update on Megs,
We have seen the vet today and she has given her another course of AB's, and her bloods were normal,no borderline thyroid or anything else,so with the nasties ruled out we are now doing Deep Skin scrapes,she is booked in for Friday morning,no food after 6pm tomorrow night.She needs to be dropped off at the vets at 8.30 Friday morning and they may need to sedate her as they go quite deep under the skin and she will be back home at about 4/5pm same day.She is really gonna hate me now She has also lost a little weight and is down to 17.60 kgs now and we have a muzzle for her too,got one from the groomer's so she is not a happy doggy at the moment
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Poor Meg Really going through all the tests like a guinea pig isn't she deep skin scrapes sound like they'll be sore and now has to look like Hanibal lectur to boot, bad mummy lol x x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Meg is still in my prayers and will continue to be so for as long as necessary.

(((hugs))) xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Poor little Meg, no, she won't like you at all soon Sal, but it's for her own good. Glad to hear she's dropped a bit of weight, Zena has only put weight ON since being on her diet I too can recommend the F4D salmon and potato as Georgie was on that and it kept his skin nice and calm. Good luck with Meg and those new skin scrape tests.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Hope they get to the bottom of it all very soon Sal.
Isn't there a theory (or is it fact) that if you eat a lot less your body will think it is in a famine situation and start making extra fat to get you through it?
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >