View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2012, 10:01 AM
I think you need to weigh up the risk with the accessibility of the kennel run. For example, I have a 6 foot high fence round the garden (obviously can be jumped but still helps a bit), I live in the middle of a row of terraced houses so the only way to access our garden is to jump over several fences either side. There is no gate or access to our garden apart from the back door of our house, so to get him out, they'd have to lift my 42kg dog over several 6 foot high fences. Not to mention, my dog hates strangers so you'd have to be pretty brave or stupid to even think about trying to get in his run or touch him Oh and we have a river that runs along the bottom of the garden, so to get in that way you'd need to wade through the river then scale a 6 foot fence!!! So I think the odds of Cain getting stolen is fairly low, but I still padlock the run.

However, if you have an easy accessible garden, where people on the street can see in that you have a dog, and a friendly dog who would be willing to go with strangers, then it's obviously a bit more risky
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I think you need to weigh up the risk with the accessibility
Good point
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-10-2012, 10:09 AM
I think you need to weigh up the risk with the accessibility of the kennel run.
You're absolutely right, I just realized I'd been being a bit unreasonable as I hadn't thought of houses with no access to the garden other than via the house. Good point.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2012, 12:59 PM
For example, I have a 6 foot high fence round the garden (obviously can be jumped but still helps a bit), I live in the middle of a row of terraced houses so the only way to access our garden is to jump over several fences either side. There is no gate or access to our garden apart from the back door of our house, so to get him out, they'd have to lift my 42kg dog over several 6 foot high fences.
The husky pups I knew that went missing were in a padlocked steel mesh kennel and run in a mid terrace. They were indeed taken out by men in a van with ladders and bolt cutters.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
The husky pups I knew that went missing were in a padlocked steel mesh kennel and run in a mid terrace. They were indeed taken out by men in a van with ladders and bolt cutters.
Yes, but I've also heard of homes that have been broken into to steal dogs to order So there's always a risk and I imagine husky pups are easier to lift over a fence. I'd still like to see a stranger successful lift my 42kg man eating psycho over the fence and live to tell the tale
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Yes, but I've also heard of homes that have been broken into to steal dogs to order
I have heard many many cases of dogs being stolen from homes too so I don't think either option eliminates risk... I think it is up to each person individually to assess their situation and set up.

Originally Posted by greatbarnet View Post
Of course a stolen dog is a stolen dog. I was responding to your comment about risk. It is false to suggest that leaving a dog locked in a house carries the same risk as leaving it locked in the garden. It doesn't. Unless you have an exceptionally well concealed garden (or insecure house). As others have said on here, it is a lot easier (and more likely) for a thief to nip into your garden and steal your dog, even if he needs bolt croppers to do it, than it is for him to force entry to your house to steal it. That's not to say he wouldn't, but it's more risky for him. That is my point. The ideal being to minimise the risk to your pet and maximise risk to potential thieves. Leaving anything of value out in clear view when you have no idea who is checking it out on a daily basis is taking a substantial risk.

In most domestic set-ups it surely has to be safer for the dog to be locked in the house, even if only marginally so. But I want the biggest margin I can get. Yes, once your dog is stolen you just want it back, but it's a bit late to start rethinking your security by then.
I understand what you are saying... But, I think there are many individual circumstances to take into account, and therefore it isn't a black and white situation.

For example, if you live in a busy area, neighbours close by etc, then I would imagine if you can gain reasonably quick access to a house, you are less conspicuous once inside the house than you are in full view, breaking into a kennel/run.

Then you have the potential difficulties of getting into a run... you can put many locks on them, which could be cut with bolt cutters but the longer it takes them, the more risk it is for them. Also, if you have dogs who will react to a stranger entering the garden, and then trying to gain access to the run, it is another risk. Barking dogs will often attract peoples unwanted attention.

I don't want to go through every situation, but I do think it is an individual decision based on your location, your circumstances, your set up etc.

And, in all honesty, the most important points of my post (to me) were not the security but the other issues I responded with.
MaggieH
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-10-2012, 04:12 AM
Hmmm. Just thinking after reading some of these posts that is probably depends on the dog too. There is no way anyone is making off with Max or Lumpy, they would be in a bit of trouble...My little dachshund would be easier to nab but only because of size. I could see him just staying out of their reach.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4