View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-08-2005, 07:59 PM
yes it is some thing that needs to be dealt with for rubys sake and your right home her to a caring home not the bloke you got her from.but there is better ways to ensure she gets the right ppl for her than free papers.
contact a rescue for her breed if there is one so they can vet the ppl and make sure they are right for her.
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by leo
but like we tried to explain in the other thread she will not learn to go up or down stairs if you are carrying her she needs to learn how to do it herself............you just got offensive with everyone.
i'm sorry but i think this is just a repeat of before no one wants you to get rid of ruby and are trying to help but you didn't want to know the other night.
if you give her more time as you say 1 year old and she hasn't mastered stairs i take it that is the time you would re home her?
alot of damage could be done to a pups joints within the time frame from now to 12 months.
plus she would know you as owner more and it would take her longer to settle again, mho either work with her and keep her for life or re home her now to some one who take care of all her needs so she can settle into a permanent home.
we let her do the stairs 1 or 2 times a day at the mo, there was only 1 that i got offensive with as far as i can remember, they have not posted on this thread yet but even if they did it would be kept all civil its not nice seeing her go down the stairs but if there is a chance she will sort herself out with the stairs then i would like and will give it a go, i put up this thread coz i feel that i need to explain why i was THINKING about rehoming Ruby, in the other thread it may of looked that i was getting rid coz she was not what i thought she was going to be, she is not what i thought she should be like but i like Ruby and she is 110% Ruby
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 08:06 PM
I have to say you have lost me. You have three reasons for rehoming and are ralking of rehoming I would rehome for Ruby's sake.

Karen
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-08-2005, 08:23 PM
what i am trying to get to is

1 i am not thinking of rehoming her becouse she is not the big hard dog that i thought that i was buying, i did say that she is not what i thought she should be, i like bull breeds and mastiff type dogs whitch is what she is, the breeder said that she should turn out looking liks a mastiff but in mini, so far he is spot on

2 i dont want people thinking the above

3 i do not want people thinking i am a bad dog owner, barney and ruby are verry happy where they are.

4 and i dont want to fall out with people, idont want people 2 think less of me with these posts, i put up this post to explain myself

5 i thought that this was a place to talk about any ANYthink doggy.
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
You have lost me Bolty, did you buy a puppy from a breeder you thought unsuitable? To be honest I am puzzled why someone living in a second floor flat would buy such a big puppy anyway you must have known she would have to walk up and down stairs, not advisable even in a well bred puppy and your poor bitch can't learn to manage stairs as every time she collapses and cries out she is doing more damage to herself and that damage will lead to arthritis in a few years. Think it best for the pup to be re-homed by someone who understands how to deal with a giant dog and knows the likely problems and expense.
would they be classed as giant dog, both sire and damm was only norm lab hight.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-08-2005, 08:28 PM
rubys parents are not classed as giants as such but they would be classed as large.......
its not the height that counts it is the weight on the joints regarding the stairs.
ddb is a large dog in most ppls books just because of their sheer mass.
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz
Can I ask is there a medical reason she can't go up and down the stairs without being carried and also do you live in a two up two down house if so why should she need to go up the stairs? and if you live ina town house (ie up a flight of stairs) before you reach the living accomodation then if not a medical problem there should be no reason why she shouldn't go up and down?

Karen
there is no medical reason, i do live on 1st floor so she dose need to go down the stairs to get in the garden, the prob is she is verry clumsy on her legs and slips/falls down a step or 2 and hits hard on her ler joints.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 08:36 PM
I have come into this thread a little late, and haven't read the other one referred to.
However, I do know that in my breed which is medium height and muscular, that stairs produce a huge strain on the joints and for those living in a house with just a standard flight, it is strongly recommended that puppies and young dogs are not allowed up - and particularly down - as it is so easy for them to put their shoulders out and damage tendons and ligaments. Two stories, I guess, could cause some serious damage unless great care is taken and it would be one reason why I would not let one of mine go to someone in those domestic circumstances.
I understand we can't all live in ideal dog situations but some problems are more difficult to overcome than others and at the end of the day, it is the health and happiness of the dog that needs to be put first.
I waited 35 years before I felt my housing and work situation was suitable for the breed I hankered after - or any dog, really - a bit extreme, maybe, but that's how it worked out.

Gill
bolty
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by leo
rubys parents are not classed as giants as such but they would be classed as large.......
its not the height that counts it is the weight on the joints regarding the stairs.
ddb is a large dog in most ppls books just because of their sheer mass.
i got a bit confused coz the vet that i use goes by hight for size and weight for build. when i took ruby to have her jads he sak what she was so i told him and he said that she should be medium dog both height and weight
lollippy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by bolty
if you read post 21 the blue righting will explain how i ment by this.
I see what you mean, but it doesn't change the fact that Ruby would be better somewhere else, the conditons aren't suitable for a large dog with you.

If I could answer the question of whether I could rehome a dog that I loved and bonded to, then the answer is yes, I have done so, and as upsetting as it was, it was better to see the dog in a home where his problems were being managed, and he was much happier. the dogs welfare really has to come first.
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »