View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Don`t the police need permission to enter your property?
Start talking about a claim for compensation....
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2012, 03:16 PM
If the crim got away, how? thought the chopper was around. They usually stay about till the culprit is caught. If they lost him they are to blame. The dogs were doing what dogs do. Does the law state where you have to put signs that say there are dogs on the property? Hope the Police did not damage your shed roof. Bet the officer got the shock of his life. Probably felt a **** and thats why he was brusque.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Idiots.......

....in uniform too....

There's NO way they can possibly blame you/your dogs for this.
I have to agree with this totally, it's shame you didn't open the back door a tad earlier in which case Tess might have caught the criminal and then the Police would be praising you 'tho God knows what some devious lying lawyer would do.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Surely the important point is the dogs DID NOT BITE ANYONE!

So it's hypothetical. I doubt OP would be in deep doo doo for his dogs SCARING someone who was on his property!

That's what a good 'home dog' should do. Not savage people to death!

His dogs are to be commended for showing such restraint!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Too bad they didn't get the criminal - you'd have been in the papers for helping out
I can see it now..Border Collie helps Police Officer catch criminal, then takes charge of Police Officer's sleeve and got him ''cuffed''
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
This is what worries me about those looking to change the DDA to cover private land where the dog is allowed to be.

Yes it has been a loophole e.g when an invited guest is bitten by the householder's dog, but in this case the Police would presumably, were the law changed to include private land, be considered to be people who were entitled to be there, despite being there without your knowledge or consent.

Territorial dogs are following their instinctive behaviour, and being allowed to express natural behaviour is a requirement of the Animal Welfare Act, but I fear the DDA would trump that, were it to be changed in this way.

Similarly if someone comes into your garden, without your knowledge or consent to e.g retrieve a ball, how would one know before the dog's territorial instinct kicked in?

Very worrying IMO, and I am surprised the point hasn't been raised in discussions about the proposed changes.

In your case Youngstevie, I think it was just one of those unfortunate events, but I don't think they had any business being annoyed with you.

Thank goodness your dogs are trained and listened to you but how upsetting for you and them.
It has upset them...all bloody day every time Tess goes out she is looking all along the fencing yes they will 'leave' but in such a mad moment, it seems like all hell broke loose for me....made my heart stop I can tell you
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
If it makes any difference, back in the early 90's a similar thing happened to us. Although we didn't live near a station, there was an area of scrub land, which lend to a small row of shops and a row of houses where we lived.

My mum had just got back from food shopping and went to get the washing off the line in the garden, when she heard screaming, she looks up there were 2 youths on the sheds (one on ours, one of our neighbours as they were next to each other), our GSD at the time shot straight through the kitchen door barking/growling and jumping up, moments later police jump over our garden fence. Thankfully my mum managed to grab the dog before any damage was done. Apparently the teenagers had stolen drinks from the shop and tried to leg it via the gardens.
Its very heart stopping....after all you just don't think of these things......stray cats are usually what I expect to find, and thankfully the dogs are not bothered about them
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Don`t the police need permission to enter your property?
Start talking about a claim for compensation....
Im sure they can climb fences, I suppose they would pay if they damaged it, they did to the lady across the road 2 years back when they kicked her back gate in to get someone hiding in her bushes
Originally Posted by Lulusmum View Post
If the crim got away, how? thought the chopper was around. They usually stay about till the culprit is caught. If they lost him they are to blame. The dogs were doing what dogs do. Does the law state where you have to put signs that say there are dogs on the property? Hope the Police did not damage your shed roof. Bet the officer got the shock of his life. Probably felt a **** and thats why he was brusque.
The way the gardens are they will need to climb more fences to chase in the direction that he dropped down, and there are side entrances to run along. Im pretty sure the copper got quite a fright TBH seeing a very annoyed dog flying across a shed roof at him thankfully she didn't hurt herself xx
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I have to agree with this totally, it's shame you didn't open the back door a tad earlier in which case Tess might have caught the criminal and then the Police would be praising you 'tho God knows what some devious lying lawyer would do.
True
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post

So it's hypothetical. I doubt OP would be in deep doo doo for his dogs SCARING someone who was on his property!

They would 'leave it' they are very good at that....even Tess is good at that one (not so thick on that command thankfully) I doubt they would savage.....well I hope not
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Stevie - I still go by the mantra that, sometimes, you 'never know what will SPOOK them'.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Stevie - I still go by the mantra that, sometimes, you 'never know what will SPOOK them'.
Thats true, but Im thinking in this instance climbing over our fence was for them something they would of been spooked at not matter how well behaved they are, afterall its not a regular thing for them to encounter
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 04:51 PM

Here in the UK you can be in trouble if your dog scares someone, putting them in reasonable fear that they may be injured, even if no injury occurs.

Although this, currently, applies primarily to public places, it can also apply to private places in some circumstances, such as with meter readers, postmen etc, who are reasonably there.

Police legitimately chasing criminals may have similar protection , it would probably depend how good the lawyer on either side was (the criminal wouldn't be protected).
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Here in the UK you can be in trouble if your dog scares someone, putting them in reasonable fear that they may be injured, even if no injury occurs.

Although this, currently, applies primarily to public places, it can also apply to private places in some circumstances, such as with meter readers, postmen etc, who are reasonably there.

Police legitimately chasing criminals may have similar protection , it would probably depend how good the lawyer on either side was (the criminal wouldn't be protected).
This is very true, see if my dogs went for a meter man or a postman I would be in trouble, I thought the same Tass about the Police thats why I went out to the ones walking up and down to apologies and make it understood that I had no knowledge of what was going on....just incase the Officer hurt himself jumping back down off the shed roof as the garden behind us is lower than ours...I thought of twisted ankles or knees but apparently he was ok I think their annoyance was that the kid had got over the other way and was running down each garden crossing over the other fences....all having an escape on the railway line
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >