View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Oh dear, so sorry to hear this. Hope you manage to get her pain reduced soon and she enjoys life again.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Aww, poor Anoush (lovely name btw), hopefully the meds will stabilize it for the time being.

I'm sorry, I really don't know what to say, but i'm just thinking that it's better than surgery at this stage.

Gentle hugs to Anoush and You, and slobbery kisses from the gruesome twosome
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Oh I'm really sorry. We're in the same boat, Molly was diagnosed with HD at 5 months old. If it's an consolation, after 12 weeks of hydrotherapy, painkillers and supplements she seems relatively comfortable 6 months on. She still runs. plays and does zoomies. If she does a little too much we put her back on the painkillers for a couple of days. If you want to swap notes at anytime give me a shout x
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 08:37 PM
I am so sorry that Anoush has HD, but hopefully you will find a comfortable way of life for her. My last dog had HD which was diagnosed when she was about 6 months. I kept her slim, moderated her exercise if she was a little stiff, gave her
Glucosamine & Chondroitin and she led a totally normal life.(she was only a small dog). I bought equine G&C as it was hugely cheaper than from the vets for dogs. A friend of mine has a GSD with HD and she fortunately had insurance and when she (the dog) started to suffer more as she got older she had a replacement hip on one side. Her dog is doing really really well and races around as 'normal'.
At least you now know what is causing her pain/lameness and will be able to manage her problem.
Lots of hugs for Anoush and don't panic, it is not the end of the world although none of us want our dogs to have probelms!!
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Sorry the news wasn't what you wanted. Hopefully with the right meds, she can still enjoy life.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2012, 08:26 AM
so sorry the news wasn't better.

With a bit of management and common sense, the condition can be well controlled for a long, long time in many cases. My previous dog was diagnosed at 6 years old, but was limping for a year before that (thought initially to be a strain by the original vet). We adjusted exercise, added glucosomine and chondroitin and green lipped mussel daily and it wasn't until he was over 13 that the effects of the HD really caused any major problems. He was finally PTS last November - just short of his 16th birthday

Don't think the world has ended for your girl, it's just a new and different beginning. x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2012, 11:42 AM

many dogs live with hd hun,often without the owners realising until as u say some sort of 'insult' brings it to the fore.... keep her slim,slim,slim,exercise regular and as said hydro and supplements...all will be good xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-03-2012, 11:52 AM
I am sorry but I am sure with careful management she will manage very well.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by girliebiker View Post
Anoush had x-rays done of her back, hips and knees, and the good news is no surgery today.

The bad news.... Anoush has severe HD..... I did not expect this at all TBH, so quite shocked!!!

My vet thinks when she got knocked it caused inflammation in her hips and set off the HD. She is now on pain relief and meds to try to bring down the inflammation, and it is hoped when it is all settled down, Anoush will have a decent quality of life.

We are to watch her weight, and her exercise and maybe add some supplements to help her. We are also looking to see if there is an hydrotherapy pool near.

There is always something going on when you got blummin dogs!!!!!

Thanks so much for all your good wishes and concern

xxxx
Oh hell.....

So sorry for you and Anoush.... hopefully the pain meds will help xx
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4