View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Water delivered fairly OK - Pereg heard the truck coming so perked up and woofed, I got to the door and called out how many containers I wanted - Pereg had her rope clipped on [it is clipped on before I open the door] so I wound it round the handles of my chair so he could get through to the back room where the container rack is.

The only minor problem was him walking back past her with four empty containers [two in each hand] and as he went past to go out he pushed one hand towards her as it to ward her off, so of course she barked and tried to lunge forward.

He is an idiot. The manager of the depot has told him Pereg is OK and to ignore her, just come in, go past with the full containers and back with the empty ones, but some people just do not listen. He is literally in and out in less than a minute so I do not know what his problem is.

Helena - I cannot shut her in another room because I do not have any interior doors, and rooms lead off from each other. And even if I could that would distress her as she is never shut away - she has free run indoors.

Maryl - these epi dogs really are special, right? But oh so difficult to manage. I got the Valium Protocol from the Guardian Angels website but it is not followed here and I doubt I could get the liquid anal Valium. She is far too strong for me to use it though even if it was available. The Valium tablets I have are 5mg ones so not really strong enough to harm her.

Anyhow my neighbour has just got me 4kg each of fresh turkey necks [which she got them to cut into chunks] and complete chicken wings, so I am now open freezing them ready for packing. Pereg perked up "dindins dindins" and sat watching me sort and put into aluminium foil roasting pans to put in the freezer, all eyes and tummy, but did not grumble too much when I said NO. Actually some of the turkey neck will be for me...

So. She has been mostly flat out dozing - been out a few times for a pee, and I just have to pray for a respite from more seizures for the moment.

It really does help to be able to come on here and talk it out of my system, and I am very grateful for all the Dogsey vibes and good wishes.

Thank you all - Malka & Pereg
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 04:57 PM
So sorry I missed this yesterday, then whenever I went to reply today I lost my internet connection.

I'm hoping that dear little Pereg is feeling better and that you have also managed to get some rest xx
maryl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Malka, my vet also was very difficult with letting me have liquid valium for anal use. She eventually managed to get me some and proudly showed me it. Malka - it was strawberry flavoured!! She was so chuffed with herself too. I said 'what the dickens does Murphy want with strawberry flavour? It's not going in his mouth is it?' (It was a human medication for children with epilepsy). Got the pipette thingies in the end. What a price though!! Had to use lots of those each time.
If your vet will allow it, get the oral 5mg tablet valium into her as soon as you can safely do so after her seizure (before if you sense one is definately coming). Follow that up every hour, two hours and then four hourly and taper to nothing,(this is just approximate) until you know she is in the clear. Yes, she will be dopey and wobbly, she'll be just fine. Murphy would still seize through this sometimes but I'm certain it did ward off status for nine whole years. I do miss him, have had dogs all my life but there was an extra special bond between us, just like Pereg and you have together.
maryl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Malka, I don't read Guardian Angels. I belong the Canine Epilepsy Resource Centre, try them too?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Only just come on here, and I am so sorry to read all this - all I can contribute are huge hugs for you, and all the best wishes in the world for Pereg.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Nice to hear Pereg is feeling a bit better. Glad the water delivery went without too much inconvenience and upset to Pereg.

Everything crossed for a peaceful night for you both and many more to come.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Only just seen this. I am so sorry that Pereg is going through this (and you too). I have a son who is epileptic and it's so so frightening to watch.

Positive vibes are winging their way to the little girl. Hopefully she will calm now and the episode can be chalked up to another scare that wrenches the heart to have to watch and feel so helpless at not being able to help.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by maryl View Post
Malka, I don't read Guardian Angels. I belong the Canine Epilepsy Resource Centre, try them too?
Thanks. I have just applied to join them.

When Pereg was diagnosed I read up all I could about canine epilepsy, and did have that site bookmarked - along with loads of others. I have found a lot of useful information from the US but of course whatever I have read about it flies out of the window when Pereg suddenly has a Grand Mal - no warning whatsoever. One minute she is dozing or sleeping then bang - a full blown seizure.

I have no problem getting 5mg Valium tablets as they are on a repeat prescription for myself, 30 tablets a month, but I have not been filling the 'scrip as I have not been taking them very often. However I can get the 30 each month if necessary, so will make sure I have for Pereg. There are no such things as free prescriptions for pensioners but I do get a 50% reduction on certain medications because of being disabled. It is a pity that I cannot get a prescription for Pereg's Pb from my GP as it would be a lot cheaper than having to buy it privately through my Vet.

Pereg is fidgety again this evening. She asked for her meal a couple of hours ago but did not eat it all. I am not sure if she is fidgety for any reason and am praying it is not prodomal behaviour.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Same here, everything crossed for a really peaceful night for the pair of you and sending lots more positive vibes and hugs for both of you that this is now the end of it all. Nobody could do more than you do Malka that's for sure, but you've worn yourself to a frazzle now, so hopefully, it will all settle down and you can both sleep. All the best.xxx
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 07:06 PM
So very sorry to read your posts and the awful time you are having just now.

I am not able to offer any help or advice, but I wanted you to know I am thinking of you both and am sending lots of gentle hugs and vibes to you both.
xxxx
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >