View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:00 AM
ive never used a long line to train recall. ive just put ALOT of work in with them. ive let them both off from 8 weeks old, while they are at the age where they stick to you. i offer them treats and praise every single time they come back (still do that now) and they come back to the command "(name) come" i practice recall on every walk we go on, and i take them out on their own every now and again to reinforce it. they also learn that going back onlead doesnt mean the end of the walk, as that can cause problems, if you only ever put the dog on the lead at the end, it will learn if it doesnt come back it doesnt have to go home when you say
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Bandit was never on lead for recall although I think it helped my other two have recall and he learnt it off them
ATD x
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:27 PM
I did originally buy my long line for Jed as he had a terrible habit of running over to other dogs, even if they were the other side of a large field. I hated the damn thing because it was forever getting tangled or tripping me up. Back then I used training discs and would throw them on the floor if he started to run to other dogs. I did the whole running away thing shouting his name, I tried treats and a whole host of other things but they didnt work. I found that training discs worked for me, i'm not suggesting anybody use them.

Flynn never ran up to other dogs, his recall has always been great because he's totally focused on where I am and what i'm doing, he would hate to miss out on joining in with something interesting. Flynn and Jed are like chalk and cheese and recall was a nightmare with Jed, a breeze with Flynn.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I had something and now it's gone - oh well, I'll reply properly when I remember

Edit: Wait - Have you tried a husky though?

I know some hounds can be taught to recall with proper hard work and dedication and having Louie I know that a dog with hunting breed in him can be quite difficult to teach also.

But has anyone ever achieved husky recall?
I saw a young husky off lead in my local park the other day, playing with a group of dogs, it seemed to have pretty good recall. Also, when I used to drive through country villages on my way to see my (then) boyfriend, there was a house that had 2 huskies. I would regularly see their owner out on the street washing his car with the huskies loose and settled on the pavement.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2011, 11:33 AM
I begin teaching my dogs the very day that I get them that their job is to follow me - not the other way round. We also commence off lead recall the very same day to whistle and voice. Mostly it has worked out, though Cloud, always aloof and seriously "Im doing things my way" and massively prey driven, took a LOT more work than any of the others.

I used to walk regularly with a Siberian Husky off lead everyday, but I only knew him till he was a year old when his owners moved from the area, so no idea how he is doing now. But back then , always had a great recall. I've also had a couple of them through agility classes that did compete and by and large they where ok when working but their owners rarely let them off in open spaces where they where not required to focus.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4