Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
The process that depletes the body of Vitamin E is not that involved in Omega 3 production etc, but inside the body itself
This is incorrect processing strips vit.e the very reason for the need to suppliment fish oils with extra vit.e .Oily fish eaten in it's natural state does not need added suppliments.The body will use natural vits. more efficiently than chemical synthetics.[/QUOTE]

I should take my own advice a lot more........

Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm lucky as my dog will eat raw oily fish happily. He also gets white fish and tinned oily fish, but every week he gets raw whole mackerel/sardines/herring/sprats. Is this portion a week (approx 250g, around one whole mackeral) enough for his Omega3 requirement?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I'm lucky as my dog will eat raw oily fish happily. He also gets white fish and tinned oily fish, but every week he gets raw whole mackerel/sardines/herring/sprats. Is this portion a week (approx 250g, around one whole mackeral) enough for his Omega3 requirement?
How much tinned fish does he get a week?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Not much, I only really tend to use it if I need to bump up his meal. So probably only 1-2 small tin of sardines or the like a week. His main fish source is raw.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
This is incorrect processing strips vit.e the very reason for the need to suppliment fish oils with extra vit.e .Oily fish eaten in it's natural state does not need added suppliments.The body will use natural vits. more efficiently than chemical synthetics.
I should take my own advice a lot more........

Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

[/QUOTE]

I think you have got lost in your own fog.-------You are talking about body functions--pufa's create oxidization create's free radicals detrimental to lipids thus the need for antioxident vit.e.----I am talking about natural form of vit e. and synthetic vit e.---The latter being strip during purification.This process in case you didn't know goes on outside the body!!!!!!-----I have nothing to argue about. So don't beat yourself up too much arguing you must be arguing with yourself.You have one hell of an itch that needs scratching. Soz nothing more to add.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Not much, I only really tend to use it if I need to bump up his meal. So probably only 1-2 small tin of sardines or the like a week. His main fish source is raw.
A whole raw fish such as a mackeral contains approximately 1000mg of Omega 3, a small tin of sardines around 100mg.

Personally I would want my dogs to consume at the very minimum, 500mg of Omega 3 per day but preferably 1000mg per day.

So 1100mg over a week IMV is not very much, especially with a dog of Cain's size.

I do not really want my dogs eating that much fish! So I prefer to give supplements, especially the high quality ones such as HEalthspan which have been double distilled to remove all impurities and toxins.

HTH
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks a lot SB, I'll look into that
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 03:14 PM
how much should i supplement their vitamin e by then if they get a 2 tins each of sardine or mackeral a week?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 04:09 PM
If you have teeny weeny dogs like CCs you should give them something like 3 x 200 iu capsules a week. Most Vitamin E supplements come in 200 - 400 iu, and it is not feasible to split one so give a 200 iu capsule every other day.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
If you have teeny weeny dogs like CCs you should give them something like 3 x 200 iu capsules a week. Most Vitamin E supplements come in 200 - 400 iu, and it is not feasible to split one so give a 200 iu capsule every other day.
Thank you shall buy some on pay day
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >