View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 10:02 AM
I don't think those people can quite grasp that, just because it is a toy breed, doesn't mean it is a toy.

I went round to a friends a while ago. One of her now x's friends was there with her chi, I'd never met this person before that I can remember at least, but it didn't take me long to work out she was one of those types of small dog owner.

Anyway, she was talking to me about her dog, and said she was going to get it a doggy pram, or handbag, my response, its a dog, it can f**king walk...Oh, and its not a f'ing child either, so stop treating it like one.

The poor dog, it didn't even know the most basic commands like sit, which I started to teach it, and showed her how to do it as well, though don't think she kept working at it.

Believe it or not, after I left apparently that person was telling my friend that she quite liked me, I certainly wasn't expecting that.

Apparently, there is a shop somewhere that sells all these ridiculas accesseries, because my friend and this person ended up in there, and she the owner that is, got the little chi a pair of sparkly shoes or something, god hope no one is ever stupid enough to let me in that shop, as I certainly couldn't keep my mouth shut.

Of course not every toy breed owner is like this, and imo there is a great deal of difference between picking up your little dog in quite crouded areas for its own safety, and just carrying it round as an accesserry to match your clothes.

It also annoys me, that it would appear that these handbag dogs are allowed to get away with being in places no other pet dog would be allowed, and to behave badly whilst being there. I mean come on, if any of us with larger dogs, allowed our dogs to behave in the out of control manner I've seen many of these peoples little darlings behave in, we'd be in trouble.
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2010, 03:06 PM
I am looking for a small dog, not yappy, smart and able to take a walk, I thought a papillon would fit the bill but nearly fainted when I looked up some sites and seen the price of them. Is it the bimbo's who carry them about in a bag that is drawing some breeders to charge a fortune?.
I have used a bag (m&s hemp carrier!) for a pup that couldn't walk as much as Charlie but it definitely wasn't a fashion statement.
It is a shame for these tiny dogs, they still need stimulation and a walk like any dog.
I am still thinking of getting one but won't be buying a sparkly lead
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Why don`t they do pink and sparkly leads etc for big dogs?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
This is a huge pet hate of mine! It really annoys me to see places say they are dog friendly but what they really mean is lapdog friendly. Just means it take me twice as long to find anywhere to stay/visit.
We went to a castle in Suffolk when on holiday there a couple of years ago. You could take your dogs in if you could carry them around. The people in front of us had a Chihuahua so no problem but Jamie didn't fancy carrying 15 KG Parker around so we had to leave them in the car (not a hot summer's day before you ask!). This is blatant descrimination!!!! Imagine saying no big people allowed!!

P.S My Sister has a toy dog -a Bichon Frise and she says "it's not a dog! How can you call something that small that looks like that a dog!"
I would like to have it for a month with Cherry and Parker-it would go back a different dog! (If it survivied Cherry that is!). They could teach it the joys of paddling and drinking from puddles etc.
LillyRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-07-2010, 12:24 PM
I hate this whole teacup-handbag dog thing.Why can't some folk just treat the dog how it should be treated - as a dog! When I first was considering getting a dog (about 4 or 5 years ago) my then friend exclaimed how excited for me she was and how "cool" it'd be to be able to "take it in turns carrying it around in our bags!" I was horrified when I realised she was deadly serious.Least to say we are no longer in touch.Though funnily I found out through a social networking site that she now has a Huskie, so hopefully she's seen sense.

My mum says I worry about the little-dog-stereotype too much as firstly, Scarlett isn't really a small dog in a chi sense and secondly - in her words "I know what I'm doing and what I'm on about" when it comes to what's best for her and our relationship (Scarlett and I)

Also to add - Not all "painted ladies" are airheads with "handbag dogs".I consider myself a "painted lady" - yes, even for dog walking,whether it be 6am or 6pm- though I have a well behaved,bright little 14lbs Cavie who understands basic commands and is treated properly.Though I don't where white or heels for such adventures unless we are visiting and there is no mud or grass involved.

I say painted, it's not like you can see the made-up face from ten yards away! lol.
Woofwoofburp
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I'M GOOGLING IT NOW
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think its because they are often cheaply made but with large markups so they wouldnt last 5 mins with a large dog on the end of them.

They do go up to a large in pets at home though . . .
Woofwoofburp
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I think its because they are often cheaply made but with large markups so they wouldnt last 5 mins with a large dog on the end of them.

They do go up to a large in pets at home though . . .
Yehh that's what put me off buying some hand made designer leather dog collars I saw, they don't look like they would do the job for very long if at all.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Woofwoofburp View Post
Yehh that's what put me off buying some hand made designer leather dog collars I saw, they don't look like they would do the job for very long if at all.
Cherry (who is really not a pink, girly dog at all incidentally) had one of those pink collars with silver studs on. I was walking her one day on the heath and it just snapped completely in half and fell off. She hadn't had it long either. Fortunately I was walking her on a lead attached to her headcollar-can you imagine if I hadn't been and we were walking along a main road what might have happened? Put me off these sort of collars. Save your money and buy a good quality leather one instead.
Woofwoofburp
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-07-2010, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE=Kerryowner;2010284]Cherry (who is really not a pink, girly dog at all incidentally) had one of those pink collars with silver studs on. I was walking her one day on the heath and it just snapped completely in half and fell off. She hadn't had it long either. Fortunately I was walking her on a lead attached to her headcollar-can you imagine if I hadn't been and we were walking along a main road what might have happened? Put me off these sort of collars. Save your money and buy a good quality leather one instead.[/QUOTEehhH

Yehh if I ever do have to pull on the lead I NEED to know it's strong enough
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >