Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
I do agree with just about everything you have said but I do know that breeding two purebred dogs of different breeds will not produce a "mixed bunch." In fact you can predict exactly what to expect. The only way that a "mixed bunch" will present itself is if one of the parents is a crossbreed itself
Very interesting Zorro, but I am not sure about being able to "predict exactly what to expect". Anyone else out there have any experience.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2010, 06:40 PM
For Zorro - I have done a bit of research since first post to refresh my knowledge and I can confirm that 1st generation hybrids, i.e. from two different breeds, are likely to be mixed and puppies from a 1st generation litter will likely be different from each other in physical and mental characteristics - the offspring take bits from both parents and it is not predictable. It is only after breeding several generations that you can stabilise the characteristics, eventually getting what may be regarded as a new breed. For example the Labradoodle is getting there as breeders are now breeding from multi-generation dogs There is a fairly good article in K9 magazine, Aug.4, 2008. I think there is also a topic on this site, going back to 2006.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4