Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I'm not saying they are not sensible mini, just don't think I could manage it if I was on my own, and you don't need to be that far from the vet to be too late either as experience has sadly proved
Hi Trouble If my dog was dying before my eyes and I couldn't get to the vets in time I would have a go, nothing to lose..I would put the dog between my knees , stretch the neck out, stick a piece of hose down and suck

I have seen a farmer stick a penknife in the side of a sheep with bloat, not sure I could do that though .
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Trouble If my dog was dying before my eyes and I couldn't get to the vets in time I would have a go, nothing to lose..I would put the dog between my knees , stretch the neck out, stick a piece of hose down and suck

I have seen a farmer stick a penknife in the side of a sheep with bloat, not sure I could do that though .
You never know what you're capable of until the time comes I know, and lets hope we never have to find out

On a brighter note mine are happy well built grazers rather than guzzlers so hopefully that is in their favour.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
You never know what you're capable of until the time comes I know, and lets hope we never have to find out

On a brighter note mine are happy well built grazers rather than guzzlers so hopefully that is in their favour.
I`m pretty sure Gremlins are not at bloat risk anyway
Of course, had you followed the Magwai care tips properly you would still have a Magwai and not a Gremlin :smt018

So which of these did you get wrong, come on own up

1) Keep it away from bright light,
2) Don't get any water on it,
3) Never, never ever feed it after midnight.

[ Could`nt resist, just noticed what `breed` your `dogs owned` line says the gorgeous lil Frankie is :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 ]

Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I`m pretty sure Gremlins are not at bloat risk anyway
Of course, had you followed the Magwai care tips properly you would still have a Magwai and not a Gremlin :smt018

So which of these did you get wrong, come on own up

1) Keep it away from bright light,
2) Don't get any water on it,
3) Never, never ever feed it after midnight.

[ Could`nt resist, just noticed what `breed` your `dogs owned` line says the gorgeous lil Frankie is :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 ]

I was thinking more of Syd and Rio actually, but ok I own up I let him out in daylight and can't keep the b*gger out of water, Sssshhhh he thinks he's a Dobermann, you want to see him play tug with Syd he hangs on for dear life sometimes with all 4 feet off the floor. I have to video it, we laughed so much yesterday we nearly wet ourselves
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Hi Evie, I sort of responded to this but on the other thread, so I`ve copy/pasted it here for you, your Willow :smt049 being a front leg tripod so coming within the side of dogs which can benefit from a raised bowl out of physical need/comfort :

---------------------

In terms of elderly, athritic or otherwise infirm dogs who may find a floor level bowl too uncomfortable, absolutely yes they can have significant benefits in those regards, though should [ imo ] be accompanied by :

a] using the lowest comfortable height rather than whatever manufacturers say is the `right` height for small, medium or large dogs as there is so much variation from dog to dog,

and

b] by at least utilising the researched advice of giving smaller more frequent feeds to lessen the increased bloat risk [ in susceptible breeds / individuals ], from raised bowls.

c] if feeding dry complete, [ whether raised bowl or not ], by soaking the food well in advance of feeding so that it has already expanded rather than feed it dry then the dog drinking a large amount of water in one go afterward which means the food expanding in the stomach itself added with excessive air intake from thirsty gulping.

-----------------------------

Hopefully that will put your mind at rest that you are providing Willow with a comfortable way to eat, [ which if you remember I felt like a wally for not suggesting for her way back when in that regard ], but can still minimise any risk :smt001
While she is a Lurcher of Whippet heritage, iirc she is very well proportioned for chest width to depth of rib cage and does`nt have so much of the sharp upturn and skinnyness behind the ribs of a full Whippet so not of the same risk as the more exaggerated Lurchers like my Fluke. The piccy you posted ages ago, her body line, neck and head were very level to the bowl, so if its adjustable I`d just lower it a bit for a more natural position which would lower her head and neck a bit but without putting undue pressure of balance on her leg.
Can you fiddle a bit with the height until you can see she is at the most comfortable relaxed eating position for her ?

My tripod [ rear leg amputee, also called Willow ] prefers to eat laying down and he positions himself, [ or the bowl by pulling it toward him ], so that the bowl is almost touching his chest which results in his head and neck still angled more naturally downward to eat, if you can visualise that from such a poor description

One thing I have noticed when seeing dogs eat from elevated bowls, [ and this is not scientific but just observation and may have absolutely no relevence whatsoever, its just a hunch ]. when getting to the last bits, [ depending on food type / size ], they seen to turn their mouths almost flat to the side as opposed to dogs with downsloping neck and mouths more squarely over the bowl so can get the last bits of food more easily as the angle seems far easier for them - I wonder if that alone, [ side of mouth use ], increases air intake toward the end of a meal
[ My descriptive writing is shockingly bad right now, I can see in my minds eye what I`m trying to describe there but not doing very well at it, sorry guys ]
Patch,

I must be as cracked as you, cos I understand perfectly what you're trying to describe.

Thank you for copying tis info onto this post for me. :smt001 I've only dipped in and out of her a few times today, so haven't caught up with the other thread yet.

I've adjusted Willow's bowls down lower, so will see tonight if it needs any further adjustments.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

05-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Hmmm bloat! I`ve had 3 go down with it.

First 1 a 3 month old puppy who`d recently recovered from parvo. She had just gone onto complete food when it happened. Was operated on & eventually made a full recovery

2nd was her mum, by then my dogs were fed a raw diet. She was approx 6yrs old. It was a good 12 hrs after she`d been feed I noticed something not right. She was operated a few hrs later & she had 2 chicken carcasses removed, totally undigested!

3rd 1 was Gwen, the 3 mth old pup who was now 4/5 yrs old ish. But she didn`t need an op this time, started giving her drugs I keep on hand at home, on vets advice, then more of same at vets clinic & she returned to normal

In each case I`ve pinpointed stress as the only common thing. Everything I`ve read on bloat mentions stress as being a factor & I do believe in my dogs cases theres a very strong possability that could`ve been the cause. I`ll never know for sure tho! My dogs are fed raw with bowls on the floor

I`ve got links to the purdue study somewhere & I`ll post them when I find it. It does say not to use raised bowls & also avoid food preserved with ascorbic acid

Meanwhile heres some links about bloat

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs...rnalCode=javma

ok found it

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/epi/bloat.htm

by the way, deep chested dogs are accepted as being susceptable to bloat, they don`t have to be large in size, dachs`s are deep chested but small dogs & can be just as at risk as large dobes/labs/etc etc!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2007, 02:54 PM
i dnt think if you have a large breed of dog that stands tall ie boxer great dane doberman that elevated bowls are wrong it helps the dog get its food without straining and it can digest food more easily with small breeds there lower to ground so it wudn apply in there cases
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4