View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-10-2004, 06:01 AM
That is a very valid question Pete. I know many breeders have their litters on raw by the time they are ready to be homed, and they will suppy a very detailed diet sheet to the new owners. However, if the puppy has been reared on conventional puppy food I would be very wary of going on to raw unless I was 100% certain of what I was doing. The growth period of a dog is so very important that, unless I had extremely good advice, or was a BARF expert, I would stick to whichever complete food the breeder recommended. The addition of chicken wings or necks would do no harm if the pup is shown how to chew, but it is important that pups get all the right vitamins & minerals & unless you really know what you are doing with BARF the diet could be deficient in one or more areas.
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2004, 07:21 AM
Its something me and Ian are considering in the new year... our boy is still have problems with his poop.

The only thing is i wouldn't have a clue how much to feed him or what to give him in a days feeding
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Kirsty that's why I won't feed barf as I have no idea on how much to feed, whether he's getting enough nutrition etc

I have great respect for someone who have their dogs on a barf diet.
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2004, 07:45 AM
An old forum member of mine has a AB called Bandit and he is a big boy... very muscular and an all fantastic looking dog.

He has put him on the Barf Diet and he reckons the dog is looking even better than he did.

I'll email him over the weekend and find out how much he feeds his and what he feeds him on a day to day basis.

It has to be healthier for the dog in the long run.

I'll have to do some reading up about it.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

30-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Hiya, I`m going to try answer some of the Q`s
The stock made from ch/carcasses/bones is very nutritious, you can give it to poorly dogs/pups but the meat left on it has very little value but can be given them. But dump the bones that have been boiled. I do mine in a pressure cooker.
My lot have a ratio of about 50% boneless meat to 50% meaty bones. The things they have regularly are :
Whole quails, chicken thighs, breast/rib of lamb, chicken/turkey breast/wings, pork meat, pork hearts, beef meat/heart. When I can get rabbit they have that whole. Every 10/14 dys a whole chicken. 1-2 a wk a pigs trotter. Sometimes a lamb neck once a wk, depends when I can get them.
A marrow or knuckle bone 1-2 a week. Sometimes I can get beef ribs, again 1-2 a wk but they are recreational bones & they get one of them 1-2 a wk not all of them 1-2 a wk, if you see what I mean
They have fresh raw sardines/trout (or salmon when its cheap) 1-2 a wk instead of meat. Eggs about 2-3 times a wk, more if I have surplus, less if I don`t! Fruit & veg in addition to meat/fish meals as & when whats available usually 3-4 times wk sometimes more sometimes less. Supps as I feel is necessary.
I try to give them as much of the whole small animal to feed as I can.
On average the amount my lot get is a couple of quails plus 1lb 4oz boneless meat per day on the days they don`t have a whole chicken/rabbit/fish. Fish they have average 1lb 4oz. Veg/fruit a dadle spoon or 2 because they love it, Labs can`t you guess On average they weigh between 28-34 kilo

Pete, S/boxer, I`ve recently reared a litter of 10 labs on raw. They had the same as the adults & it was the same as weaning them onto complete. Just inroduced something new slowly Obviously smaller portions & bones. I was/am delighted with them.
I do have quite a few books on it tho & find them invaluable.
Theres also some excellent sites on raw feeding & the links the others have given are well worth the read. hth
Christine.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Oh good luck Jenny

I'm still not really confiident enough to do this...

Whole rabbits and chickens????
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4