View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kiing
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2012, 08:37 PM
A partner wouldn't necessarily have to be dog-crazy, but they would have to at least like or tolerate dogs. They would also have to understand that I do intend to have dogs in my life for as long as I can own them.

My OH reckons that 'all dogs hate him' (though, I have no idea why he thinks this, as the only dogs we ever see out and about either ignore him or climb all over him ), but has made the effort to get on Anton's good side despite this. He's also accompanied me to Discover Dogs and a few other dog shows and will hopefully be joining me at Crufts this year - so not dog crazy, and I doubt he'd choose to own a dog on his own, but he's willing to make the effort, at least.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
The dinner party [and the possible relationship] ended right there.
So you were extremeley lucky there It is often said that you can tell an adult persons character by the way they behave around dogs and children.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 09:56 PM
No-we met at bible college so our criteria was a God-loving partner!

I didn't have any dogs when I met Jamie and he would have called himself a non-doggy person then; only because he recognises that dogs do need a lot of attention and if you have them he thinks that you need to be devoted to them.

I would not have gone out with him if he had actively disliked dogs though.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 10:11 PM
I couldn't ask for better with Baz. Even better, he actually listens to me (well, most of the time) if we are teaching something new (to Bunnie, e.g.).

He loves them "almost" as much as me.... he cried like a baby when we lost Mya.

He'll do for me
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Yes, it was a consideration. He's not 'into' dogs in general, but he loves Axel. He doesn't do much of the work with him and doesn't like coming on fund raising or many walks, but I have to just accept that. I am just happy I have Axel.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Its important to me. The dogs are a huge part of my life and they come as part of the package so would need someone who likes them at least. Also because of the issues they have overcome and still raining through I would need them to be understanding.

Haig is a little too obsessive over my dogs though, so much so he says they're his too
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2012, 12:40 AM
My OH tells Molly everyday how beautiful she is and how much he loves her. When I asked him why he NEVER says anything nice to me or tells me that he loves me his reply is "Well you know I love you, I don't need to tell you"...................work that one out!

Seeing how much he adores the girls makes me melt
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
I went on my dogs reaction to my OH as to whether it would go any further
Was the same for me with my husband. Little did I know he was vetting me the same (he had far more dogs than me)
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

08-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Kiing View Post
so not dog crazy, and I doubt he'd choose to own a dog on his own
Young men in their twenties dream of meeting gorgeous girls, if only they could see the reaction I get when sitting outside the supermarket with our two, there has hardly ever been a gorgeous girl in late teens to early twenties who hasn't come over and said 'Hello' and if there's two girls together I can guarantee they'll come over to me

Sighhh - If only I was thirty years younger
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-01-2012, 11:03 AM
It's not so much if a prospective blokey liked my dogs but if my dogs liked him. It the TM pushes him off the sofa and it scares them, I know I'm onto a loser.

I definitely judge people on how they react to animals and their opinions of them. If I went out with a bloke with a dog, if he didn't put the dog first over me, I wouldn't be interested in him.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >