View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Oh dear! At least none of you are hurt - that's the main thing. Although have to admit such things are blerdy infuriating! Have a brew and a sandwich June - restore your battered equilibrium.
Bye fer now
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Yeah I'm fine Gordon, climbing a wall of single brick construction and balancing on top whilst manoeuvering a ladder over to the other side is an excellent test of one's sense of balance as one reaches the Age Of Bewilderment
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2015, 02:46 PM
Well at least you are still in one piece June. LG, I have to say I have never found you boring in the least, quite the contrary, but then you know most of us ladies adore you. Now nearly time for me to take Amber out again.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Afternoon everyone we are back and thank you for the lovely thoughts. June sorry the walk turned into an assault course.
griff the new balancing thing seems very handy.
Hope everyone else is fairing well.

Well we have the conclusion on Dillon's lameness. Not all bad not good either. Brilliant and lovely orthopaedic vet watched Dillon walking backwards and forwards several times. Picked up slight lameness on right front leg also and that his hocks are very close together which i knew put that down to the hip problems. He said it can also be other things. Into consulting room he manoeuvred all four limbs individually and my word was Dillon a star.
He noted fluid on the what would be our wrist joint. So suggested ct scanning both elbows and the hocks and down to the toes. We had to pay the excess for the extra back leg scan but that is going through the insurance too hopefully.
Went back for results he has dysplasia in both elbows there is also a small fragment in the left elbow but he doesn't think surgery will gain anything due to the dysplasia there is no target there to improve things. The fluid is he thinks a build up when he is lamer some days than others and probably comes and goes but there is no disease in the hocks. He has distal rotation on the right back paw that is a birth defect. Plus he has that toe he injured he thinks two toes were injured. Again no surgery as there is no room to improve it.
He doesn't like doing surgery especially elbow surgery as he says it is a horrible surgery for the dog unless it will make a significant difference and in Dillon's case it won't we have got him to almost 4 he has managed well and he feels he will manage well still. We manage it conservatively as our vet suggested and use anti-flamms if and when needed but at this point not yet. He does have arthritic changes in all 4 limbs. So Cortaflex and may put him back on the turmeric paste.
He is signed off from the referral vet. I am feeling down about it but as Gorden said it could of been a lot worse its not cancer. Relieved in a lot of ways that surgery isn't an option. Its a bit surreal because when he is on top form you really wouldn't know what is going on.
Glad we had the scan done at least now we know what we are dealing with in the future and know it can be managed for a good few years yet hopefully.
He is very spaced out they sedated him heavily not a GA this time and the vet laughed at how he just fitted into the human size scanner. He was a star and didn't let us down in any way shape or form.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-08-2015, 03:11 PM
Well done Dillon, as you say Lynn both good and not quite so! At least you are now fully appraised of the situation and will have a good idea as to how to manage his condition. Thank goodness that "C" is ruled out. Feel sure he'll cope admirably, he's a lovely lad, and you are both such good and considerate owners. Sure that things will pan out OK for him. Give him a big hug from me! G.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Thank you Gordon. Good to know where we are heading now with it. We try our best to do what's right, and have come to the conclusion the wonky dogs come too us.
By the way your not boring. Far from it.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-08-2015, 03:58 PM
So glad to hear its all manageable. Do Bernese Mountain dogs have hip and elbow scoring in place at all, or is it something that they don't do.
I have to say Lynn, using the VetVits you recommended has made a noticeable difference in both Cariad and Lona. We know Lona has a problem from the car hitting her and I had just resigned to her slowing down and it affecting her as she got older, Cariad though, was amazed she had changed so radically. Having them out today for the first time in ages you could really see a difference in them and their movement, so thanks so much for the recommendation. I hope Dillon benefits from them as much as my 2 older girls have. Never got round to the tumeric paste as it sounds a bit of a performance to make, it obviously helps Dillon though.
Even though he's Wonky, he's not too Wonky is he, still capable of Great Nortiness when the mood takes him and you go nice walks with him still. He's coming up to 4 I think isn't he, as he's slightly older than Mabs, so plenty of life in the boy yet, and now you know the worst you can manage it.
Really pouring down here now. Had 2 new keys cut whilst I was out because that was the last spare that I lost.
I think I should get one of those new toys that Griff has, so I can get over the wall should the need arise
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2015, 04:01 PM
Lynn, I think that really that is good news about Dillon, I know how worried you were about the big C.
As you say you know where you are now and roughly how you are going to deal with it.
You have had a draining day, tomorrow you will feel better about it I'm sure

I just checked in to find out how Dillon is, I will be back later.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-08-2015, 04:15 PM
June the vet vits do not help Dillon any longer I now buy him Cortaflex equine strength beginning to work its wonders. Expensive though. The turmeric paste isn't too fussy too make.
There is elbow and hip scoring in place and now dm too. Dillon's parents both 0 elbow scores the highest score the breed club allows members to breed is 3. For hips nothing above 13 total both hips. Dillon's parents both come in under that by quite a way even though his mum had uneven scores.
The vet today said its good his breeder does all the relevant tests but as with all large breeds there is no guarantee even though scores are well under or within the parameters that progeny will not have problems. Plus even though we took all precautions in rearing and following the rules still no guarantee its pot luck.
He said there is breeding and bad breeding bad breeding would be me breeding Dillon without finding out or even now we know deciding to breed.
Oh yes he is capable of great naughtiness and sometimes you wouldn't realise the problems he has.
Glad the vet vits help the girls.
I have let his breeder know she will undoubtedly be upset.
Hello Nippy Jen thank you for checking in on Dillon.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-08-2015, 04:17 PM
"Roll Up!" "Roll Up!" get your entertaining videos from Gord's Online Video Store. Be prepared for the fortcoming long winter nights when fireside entertainment will be the order of the day!
Special offer - One week only! Fresh from Lancashire Folk Film-makers! Starring alongside a fabulous cast of Norties that renowned local acrobat and rock climber features in the latest episode of "Bolton Brick Balancing Bonanza" this mini-length feature is good clean fun for all the family if you disregard the bad language when she teeters perilously close to death and disaster atop the wall!
Supporting cast :- many bemused locals.
Filmed on location in the Costa del Bolton.
Buy now whilst stocks last!
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »