Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
would some who wantedto breed show, want to buy something out of or by dogs that werent proven in the ring?
Not so much proven in the ring , but definitely from someone who knew the breed and had a good record.

If I wanted to show , I would not go to a pet breeder,mind I would not go to a pet breeder anyway, they would have to have an agenda other than breeding pets for the pet market.

I would also be looking for whether I liked their type and ethics.

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post

I have often been quite shocked about the dogs who have been awarded prizes with very obvious faults.....and I have been standing next to people who can pick out a line up depending on the judge. Does not inspire you with confidence....
There is no denying that some face judging goes on, but on the whole, those standing by the ringside moaning about "facey judging" are usually doing so through sour grapes

In a breed , you will get types, and individuals will like a type over another, so if you know said judge and the type he/she likes, you will more than likely be able to predict , what he/she will put up in the ring..

Plus dont forget, those dogs that are picked by said judge will be "good" examples of their breed to start with, if they have been placed regularly by "other" judges!

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Oh...and someone with springers who gets all the people who show his pups to get trousers from a certain tailor in a special colour so the judge will know who bred the dog.
you have made my day with that one, have not had such a good laugh for ages

I am just picturing a number of exhibitors all dressed in canary yellow trouser, all made my Mr Jones down the high street, and e.mails going round the circuit to announce, Mr Smiths dogs, are in the ring on such a day, and look out for the canary yellow trousers

Seriously , does that apply to one judge, or is it collectively, does it apply to breed judges, other breed judges, invited international judges

My thats one busy Breeder!!!!!!!!!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 05:28 PM
I didnt say conformation wasnt important - I said 'fit for function'
But I know a lady who has an amazing aussie temp, health, build, everything is lovely
But
His markings arnt 'flashy' enough - not enough white on him for the show ring so she isnt breeding him in favour of a dog whos temp isnt so good but has better markings so more likely to do well in the ring

If a dogs ability to do the job it was bred for, and its health are not effected by the amount of white on its ruff then why are dogs peanalised for this??

That was what I was saying - I dont like dogs bred to look like exact clones of each other - cutting amazing healthy dogs out of the gene pool because judges prefer a different colour

A good breeder should be confident enough in her own ability to know she is producing quality dogs without the need for show ring sucesses
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4