Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Trouble is when you realise it isn't working you start to think you are doing it wrong so redouble your efforts, then when you realise the reason it isn't working is because your dog is not wired that way you have well and truely fallen in love with them so rehoming to someone who can make a difference is really hard to do. I admire Lynn for being able to do it.

We made mistakes with Duncan and just held on in there for the years he was with us, when he died we were heart broken but looking back now if we had been less in love with him we may have helped him early on to over come some of his problems.
Yes, I understand what you're saying. Both arguments are still valid though. You can either try harder in the same manner and possibly get nowhere or find something different that does work. I'm glad things worked out well for the dog in the end and she is happy, that's the main thing.

Took me a good 6 months to tap in to what worked for Roxy (a rescue with a few hiccups). It wasn't easy but when I did it was amazing and very rewarding. 7 years later and she is (mostly!) well behaved and very happy.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
True and a fair point. You could also argue though that if you know and see something is not working, then you look elsewhere for something that does. I guess this shows that everyone is different, just like dogs are.
Yes, you could argue that, , but "walking in my shoes" comes to mind with that argument, as its not always seen by those involved, hindsight is a wonderful thing, if we all had it , we would not get make mistakes

There are many things I tried with Millie some through desperation, and even when you know its sits badly, sometimes the need to fix sometime can outweigh judgement, when in the moment we sometimes don`t see the wood for the trees.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Hi Reading all the posts,my take on training is that at theend of the day all training cannot be all things to every dog as every dog is an individual,and his/her training should reflect this.

Gone are the days when you felt that a Dog Trainer knew it all and you allowed them to carry out training on your dog,because there were no points of reference,and very few trainers out there, I think in today market,you should attend dog training classes initially on your own,and see how a class goes,what the trainer will expect from your dog,if you feel your dog for whatever reason cant fulfill the expectations,then go to another training class until you know which one is suitable for your dog.crystalgirl
Hieronymus
New Member!
Male 

08-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Although there is not a one size fits all approach, force free, positive reinforcement based training works for every animal, every time, the skill and the differences are figuring out what motivates that dog and what can be used as reinforcement for behaviours you want.

In learning theory, punishment is defined as anything which serves to reduce a behaviour. If it doesn't reduce a behaviour, then it's not punishment. Likewise, positive doesn;t mean good and negative doesn't mean bad, they mean + and - respectively. Using a prong collar, for example, is positive punishment if it serves to reduce behaviour as you are adding something (the prong collar correction) to the dog's environment.

All of the results Jan Fennell or Cesar Milan achieve, can be explained according to the rules of learning, rather than some mythical notion of pack theory.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm lucky in that I was able to learn massive amounts about dog training before I owned a dog at a very early age & I was allowed to handled trained dogs(GSDs)from age 6 onwards Those dogs & their owners gave me an excellent insight on how to train my dogs when they finally arrived.

JF was on our local radio station long before she was famous & her replies were always to use only"her"methods that she had discovered including the use of treats-funnily enough I learnt about treat training before JF was born !!!! way back in the very early 1960s when I was taught the "hands off"method of training dogs which I have used for a long long time

No "one size fits all"works with all dogs, my Rjj as a puppy had no interest in treats of any kind regardless of whether he had been fed before or not but replacing the treat with a toy worked brilliantly You cannot train all dogs exactly the same way & have to be open to looking for alternative ways

There is only one wrong way of training dogs & that is any method which includes force & pain/fear for the dog
ibhande
New Member!
Female 

10-01-2015, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
Hi Florence, got you a link, I think he has died recently crystalgirl

http://books.google.co.uk/books/abou...d=fJ1BRwAACAAJ
I found the article mentioned to be mean and critically haughty
ibhande
New Member!
Female 

10-01-2015, 08:44 PM