Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
It is difficult not to start doubting your feeding regime when so many are adamant that raw is the only way to go! You just have to develop a thick skin and look at your dogs and how well they look on whatever it is you are feeding them. Mine do have the occasional chicken wing but either one of them brings it back up, or doesn't want it, or the next day has a bit of blood in their poo so, to be honest, I do wonder if it's worth the hassle!
Funnily enough although Tonks has skin issues her coat looks fantastic and I often get comments about it because she is positively glossy!
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Interesting to read

My view is feed the best foods you can afford to feed, whether that is raw or kibble.... Bodhi was on kibble for 7 years and she looks fantastic. We have changed to raw, 2 months in and we are very pleased.

It's pre made, no fuss. But is disgusting, you really need a strong stomach. Blood, bone and all in there.

If it didn't work I'd deffo go back to kibble.

I do cringe slightly at some brands though..... They're awful. Wagg, bakers etc.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2013, 05:15 PM
my dog just really doesn't like raw meat
but she gets meat, which I'm buying only at the butcher, just meat people are getting there for themselves to eat
but I'll have to boil it before

that thing with those delivery raw meat minced stuff
I'm really suspicious about, as there you also don't know what else they will mince and mix up

just thinking of the horse meat scandal
and it's not, that I'm worrying about horse meat at all
but then it has to come from horses which got bred right for to slaughter
but if they just use any high raised sport horses, there can be loads of medications be left in their meat, just for example
and I don't wanna know, what else still could get minced in
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2013, 10:17 PM
once more...
another aspect to me, Why I would NOT feed RAW
would be the risk of several pathogens, like Salmonellas for example, maybe even my dog got resistent against, they can still transmit them to human, not just by their poo, also by their salvia
and who of us doesn't know, that for example right chicken, you only should eat it right cooked, never raw right because of Salmonellas?
and that even is said about chicken available for human food
so to my first comment about, where do you know exactly, where those chicken wings, carcasses or even minced stuff comes from, which those deliver companies ar selling it for your dog?
maybe also of supermarkets who couldn't sell all of them before "out of date"?
maybe even of frozen ones who got defrosted for to mince it and gets frozen again, where the population of Salmonellas just will rise up especially well
and that higher population of Salmonellas will get happily more at getting the second time defrosted

and I'm just living too close do my dog, getting so many "love kisses" of her

another one are Neospora caninum, whitch aren't funny at all, even if the dog isn't getting sick of them, they can still be the alternate host, infected of feeding raw meat / offal of other alternate host like cattle, sheep, horse...
and right Neospora caninum can cause abortive births of cattles, if their poo comes into the food of them
and you just cannot make me believe, that when your dog/s run out in the fields and they poo there, that everyone will go for it, picking it up again?
well, maybe rather at foodpaths but certainly not in the middle of a meadow?

those pathogens also will get killed by cookin / boiling the meat before feeding

the same with pathogens of Toxoplasma gondii, they will get killed by the temperature of already just more than 67°C

so there to me, quite enough reasons for NOT to feed RAW

and there are enough high quality kibble or wet / canned food on the market or just cook the meat before and I guess, it wouldn't be worse than to BARF
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Well, while I am all for raw feeding... a basic and good reason not to feed it is simply because your dog doesn't need it. If your dog stays healthy and happy with a good coat and clear eyes etc. on his current dog food, what's the point?

Why go through the extra trouble of getting raw food, dealing with it (pretty disgusting), making sure the proportions etc. are right and he's not missing anything, risking food borne pathogens, and risking higher chances of food guarding/aggression? There's no reason to do that!
Dr Salter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-09-2013, 10:01 AM
My Toby (Australian Terrier) 13 years old, has been trying raw for about 3 months. Im not impressed; his skin is dry and scurfy and his eyes get gloopy most mornings.

He dosent seem to have the energy he had when on good quality grain free kibble.

Whats all that about then? I thought they were supposed to be brighter and energetic on raw. Im going back to a top quality kibble, either Simpsons or Millie Wolfheart.

Anyone else found this the case?

Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Hi,

I think that would be difficult to asses why without knowing exactly what kind of "raw" you are feeding, just like kibble there are good and bad raw diets.....
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Dr Salter View Post
My Toby (Australian Terrier) 13 years old, has been trying raw for about 3 months. Im not impressed; his skin is dry and scurfy and his eyes get gloopy most mornings.

He dosent seem to have the energy he had when on good quality grain free kibble.

Whats all that about then? I thought they were supposed to be brighter and energetic on raw. Im going back to a top quality kibble, either Simpsons or Millie Wolfheart.

Anyone else found this the case?

Nope, my Mr T(7 month old puppy)came from Ireland where he had been fed a decent quality complete food, he went straight on to the same organic raw direct my others are fed on & his scruffy wiry coat changed to a glossy soft proper BC coat, he is bright eyed & very energetic. Have you considered that your dog's body could be detoxing from all the additives/preservatives etc found in 99% of all complete foods ??
Dr Salter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-09-2013, 10:56 AM
I was feeding Wolftucker ready made raw foods. Dont know about the detoxing business.

Ive always fed good quality kibble before starting on raw-Vets Kitchen-Applaws and more recent Heights Farm Salmon and Potato
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Dr Salter View Post
I was feeding Wolftucker ready made raw foods. Dont know about the detoxing business.

Ive always fed good quality kibble before starting on raw-Vets Kitchen-Applaws and more recent Heights Farm Salmon and Potato
Feeding "ready made raw foods" is not the same as feeding raw. Because who knows what goes into the "ready made" raw fooods.

As you used to manage a chain of pet stores, I would have thought you would know the difference.
Page 39 of 56 « First < 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 49 > Last »