Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Why? The list explained the things that are wrong in my
Opinion. I wasn't referring to them in my last sentence. Murder is wrong. Rape is wrong. No
Opinion, it's just wrong. So no, I shouldn't have added in my
Opinion as I was making a point.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Well you clearly don't work an average of an 11 hour day, and you also mustn't know that to wash a dog every day strips its coat of all the essential oils that keeps the dog's coat in good condition and able to keep the cold and wet out

You are quite right I only work 12 hours a day at the moment and on vets advice my dog is bathed everytime he comes in from being outside, that and steroids is the only way to keep his grass allergies under control. Husband works 16 hours a day BTW before you suggest he isn't working.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
my friend has a rottweiler who has always lived outside. they have a farm, and the rottweiler is seen as a guard dog (not that she did much guarding she was lay sunbathing when i got there)
Always lived outside - therefore the coat will have adapted to the environment and the thick coat will be thicker. We've already been through the wording of guard dog so we don't need to go through that again.

she has a kennel with straw as bedding, and she has quite a long chain (couldnt tell you the length im useless at guessing measurements) she has her water bowl there, and she gets fed there.
Straw is quite a warm bedding. Sleddies have it in their kennels when not out running. Some gundogs have it in their pens and I'm sure Moobli's pictures showed some straw - but I could be mistaken.

she is loosed into the yard a couple of times a day, as well as walked. she often accompanies the owners to the pub, and on rides out, and is really fussed and loved.
Loose in the yard - not on the chain. Goes for walks. Goes to the pub. Goes on ride outs. "Fussed and loved" shows that she gets attention.

Where does it say she is left for hours on end? The chain is there to keep her safe when there are things going on - from what I can gather from other posts.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Excuse me - how do YOU know this dog spends many hours on her own tied up to a chain??? You are now making things up!

This Rott has a kennel/shelter does she not?
Kirsty you are wasting your breath, these people clearly know everything there is to know about this dog and every other chained dog on the Planet! You're just a real life working Shepherd's Wife, you know nothing!

Bathing a WSD every day, hilarious!!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

Excuse me - how do YOU know this dog spends many hours on her own tied up to a chain??? You are now making things up!

This Rott has a kennel/shelter does she not?
Well the fact she spends ALL night on her own, adds upt to many hrs, along with all the time she is chained when no one is around to watch over her, also adds up to many hrs.

I am not making anything up at all, maybe you aught to read what has been written before you try to defend this owner.

Yes the dog has shelter, that`s not the point it never has been, its the fact its chained .
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Julie View Post
You are quite right I only work 12 hours a day at the moment and on vets advice my dog is bathed everytime he comes in from being outside, that and steroids is the only way to keep his grass allergies under control. Husband works 16 hours a day BTW before you suggest he isn't working.
I don't want to change the subject but have you thought about feeding him localised honey instead of steroids?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
No, because I have one. I think in some homes, it would be 'cruel' (I'm not sure what the best word is). It depends on the owner, like with many many breeds out there.

I'm not sure what your point is exactly though... Of course people have a different perspective of things, but those other things are not IMO relevant to the thread.
It is relevant to your comment because you said keeping dogs on chains is cruel. I don't happen to think, in certain circumstances, that it is.

You say you don't think one form of cruelty justifies or excuses another. So I am saying to you that I know of people who consider your keeping a border collie as a pet as cruel. No, it might not "justify" said persons from keeping their working dogs on a chain, but I am trying to show you that there are two sides to every story. What one person may consider cruel, the next may not.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I don't want to change the subject but have you thought about feeding him localised honey instead of steroids?

Steroids were the last thing we tried we wouldn't have done it if we hadn't tried everything else. He is also allergic to many other things honey is on his list of things to avoid.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Kirsty you are wasting your breath, these people clearly know everything there is to know about this dog and every other chained dog on the Planet! You're just a real life working Shepherd's Wife, you know nothing!

Bathing a WSD every day, hilarious!!!
Some people manage it quite easily, their dogs live in doors and are working in all weathers. It just depends what you are prepared to do for your friend and work mate.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Steroids were the last thing we tried we wouldn't have done it if we hadn't tried everything else. He is also allergic to many other things honey is on his list of things to avoid.
Oh, localised honey normally helps with grass allergies as it has the pollens from the surrounding areas. I'm not a scientist and I don't know how I work but I know it does..

I would suggest a raw diet but then his allergies are just grass so it's pointless to suggest it.
Page 37 of 50 « First < 27 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 47 > Last »