Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2008, 09:32 PM
I`ve never pinned a dog.
CM does.
I have never jerked a dog around on a choker.
CM does.
I would never used an E-collar or a Prong.
CM does.
I would never put a dog in a state of learned helplessness.
CM does.
I would never scruff a dog.
CM does.
I would never lift a dog clear off its feet by the scruff.
CM does.

CM gets bitten...
I don`t.

Nuff said
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Sorry but to me lots of dogs is not a dog lover it is a dog horder
and dogs are amazing - they want us to love them - (although I am sure cesar dosent think they love - thats humanising ) a dog will still beg for attention and affection from the owner who beats it
so a big yard full of dogs - they are all just trying to get a bit of attention from him
Just because someone is on TV it dosent mean they are good it means people watch them
I think the reason we dont see positive trainers on TV is because people want to think that dogs can be quick fixed they dont want to have to put the work in
so they watch these showes (which if you look at the small print it even takes these methods time to work)
`His` dogs don`t even live with him, they are kept at one of his facilities which means kennel hands mostly see to their daily needs. Most dogs being social creatures at heart will crave any attention they can get - including negative attention - when most of their time is spent pretty much isolated.
I truly believe the dogs he calls `his` are more cases of canine Stockholm syndrome than genuinely bonded
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-04-2008, 09:58 PM
he takes dogs home with him is also looking to relocate so he can live at the dog centre.
did see on the internet a while a go that in the last 20 or so years(since all the reward and non physical training has become popular) that dogs owned has gone up 2% and reported dog bites have gone up over 20%
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by bullyboy View Post
he takes dogs home with him is also looking to relocate so he can live at the dog centre.
did see on the internet a while a go that in the last 20 or so years(since all the reward and non physical training has become popular) that dogs owned has gone up 2% and reported dog bites have gone up over 20%

The ex-biters I adopted were subjected to the still often used physical / negative punishment methods - which is why they became biters.
Since adopting them and using positive reward based methods, they don`t feel the need to bite any more.

Reported dog bites increasing is just that - more reported - but it does`nt mean a higher incidence, just more people bothering to report - something I believe is more to do with lawsuit happy culture than anything else, perhaps with a smattering of hoody `hard dog` owning culture thrown in - and the increase in `dominance theorists` who have got it so wrong and the TV trainer stuff which people do try at home and tend to end up getting bitten as a result.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Hmm thats a statistacly correct conjecture there!!
In the last 20 years we are much more of a sue society too - so you would expect more people to report bites
Also people seem to be rubbish at training their children the most basic things and many dont teach them the right and wrong way to approach a dog
Also when I was a kid if you teased a dog till it bit you your mum would skelp your behind - now adays the dog would be PTS
also as we see from all the shows many many people dont even walk or toilet train their dogs
There are lots of reasons why REPORTED bites have gone up

FWIW if my dog showed any signs of agression towards a person I would have no trouble letting it know that that type of behaviour is NOT acceptable
just because I am a positive trainer it does not mean that I would stand back, flap my hands and go 'oh fluffy let go of that child'
but because I know my dog and i have its love and respect I would know how far I have to go (not far at all) to let it know it has made a v bad choice and I am not happy
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-04-2008, 10:22 PM
never have and never will pin my dogs my male was reward trained and is a great dog but never stopped chewing utill i started using
leader and follower type training, we rescued are bitch and she was a nightmare jump up would nick the kid food out of there hands ect. have done no training as such just used cm approach with mind and body posture and setting rules and boundaries, now she is a great dog, she has been shooting with me and has started to chase a rabbit and i can call her back, that is the part i like best about his style is the day to day part, yes he can be a bit rough and firm but some dogs i think need that, but he is not like that all the time
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Glad you are getting on with your dogs, sounds good
I would have to disagree that you have done no training - dont put yourself down there
Setting rules and boundries is training
You got a great recal by using a training method

Most training methods work if you are consistant. the question is are they working for the correct reasons

Guy here does not like the fact that his dog jumps up at him when he comes home
He smacks her for jumping up at him
Does that every day and the dog has soon learnt not to jump up on him
He has the result he wanted, but he has trained his dog not that he does not want her to jump up but that when he comes home he is grumpy and likely to hit her so keep outa the way

Glad you dont pin your dogs
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-04-2008, 10:52 PM
your right on the training part, not good with words i ment i dont set training as in ten mins for this and time on that, mine is all the time and i always try to make things different so i know they are doing it for me rather than doing it out of habit
my dogs go through doorways before me sometimes and other times i will get them to wait, they will always look to me first to see if it ok and if i raise my eyebrows they will wait untill i say ok
also playfight with mine and have grouphugs
so sorry patch dont find you picture disturbing find it sweet
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2008, 12:27 AM
never have and never will pin my dogs my male was reward trained and is a great dog but never stopped chewing utill i started using
leader and follower type training, we rescued are bitch and she was a nightmare jump up would nick the kid food out of there hands ect. have done no training as such just used cm approach with mind and body posture and setting rules and boundaries, now she is a great dog, she has been shooting with me and has started to chase a rabbit and i can call her back, that is the part i like best about his style is the day to day part, yes he can be a bit rough and firm but some dogs i think need that, but he is not like that all the time
Sol is 3 and I have had him since he was 8 weeks and he has never chewed anything in his life......
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2008, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I remember the Jindo well. He was IMO THE worst red zoner on any Dog Whisperer that I have seen. That dog was not scared, he was a savage beast, a complete psycho totally out of control and was if my memory serves me correct going to have to be destroyed if Cesar failed. He did not fail, dog's life was saved. End of story. Geez, for animal lovers, you guys sure take the biscuit sometimes.

Why you guys cannot accept FACTS and give credit where credit is due, beats me.

Sorry to rant, but I think you are being really unfair. That Jindo was not a dog I would have liked to go near, and I have never been afraid of ANY dog that I have EVER met thus far in my life. Wary, yes, but not Scared. That dog sent the shivers up my spine, you could see it in his eyes that he wanted to tear your throat out, eat it and move on to his next victim.
The dog was not aggressive until he tried to pin it down and that was simply a reaction to how it was being treated. It's an animal, instinct tells them what to do. Up until that point it had in fact avoided him.

What "beats" me is why you have to make such melodramatic statements about a dog that clearly was not what you think he was. Now labelling a dog that way IMO is unfair. CM does not deserve any credit in that episode, he deserves a punch on the nose and so does the male owner who wanted the dog rolled "just because" The term "red zone" that he uses is so that the people watching that have no clue ( like you) can be suitably impressed when he "sorts the dog out". I don't remember any mention of the dog being pts but I do remember that it's owner was an actor that had had cancer and was rescuing dogs (including this one) from the streets, strangely enough the only part of the episode that I can find on you tube does not contain that clip.........

this is another apparently "aggressive" dog, if you watch it with no sound you can see him savagely lick CM's hand at the beginning when he puts it against the crate.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXPkSZ7gBTk
Page 37 of 102 « First < 27 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 47 87 > Last »