View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 08:19 PM
You are doing well Wissansean - just going out and coming back in is a sound basis for what will follow, but don't be in too much of a rush to leave Milo home alone again just yet. I think that each step has to be done ad infinitum until the dog is happy and settled, before moving onto something more stressful like several minutes or an hour away from him.

It is still very very early days for your boy, and he doesn't want to lose his new family and all the comforts that you bring into his life!

At the moment, I think that he worries when his "pack" splits up, such as when your children disappear into school - but if you keep taking him with you, then he will soon learn that this is what happens on a regular basis, and the children come back later in the day. Once he cottons on to this, then his brain might - just might, eventually apply the same principle to when you yourself go out. (Mind you, in the case of Jimmi he has no brain so normal rules do not apply ).

Good luck, and keep posting
Wissansean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2010, 08:39 PM
I am sure Jimmi has a brain he just hasn't found it yet

Jimmi will get better!

patience is acquired not learned! I tell my self that with my kids I haven't acquired it yet or it just runs from me
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Bitkin, hope you get the all clear tomorrow at the vets and Jimmi can start his walks again, can't really blame him for being naughty and bored. Hope once they are healed this time that he has no more problems with them.

Cardaph I do hope you can progress further in a while with Bessie. What a little toerag going back to sitting in the hallway watching you. With the amount of running back and forwards at the door your doing it's not just the carpet you'll have to watch for, you'll be going through the floorboards soon as well

Wissansean welcome to our thread, hope you find info to help and we can hold your hand and comfort you along the way. It makes it so much easier to bear when yu can come here and moan or rant about the problems our dogs are causing us Milo seems to have come a long way in a week so with luck he will soon settle in and cause no more problems.

Lana's doing fine. I haven't left her again yet but will give it another shot during the week sometime.
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2010, 10:03 PM
I had this problem with my dog, he was a rescue that had many problems as he had a violent owner previously, his separation aniety was the largest problem. We tried every way we could find on the internet and had 5 different dog trainers in. I learnt that this problem requires time, and you will be best deadicating a day or so to training your dog.

Before you start maybe take your dog for a walk, and then put him in the area he sleeps in and leave him alone for about 1 minute, keep walking in and out of the room, rattle your keys, wear your coat often throughout the day and then walk in and out of the room, as you don't want her to see that these things mean you dog is left on her own. Once you can leave her for a minute increase it to 3 minutes and keep doing this, when you walk into the room don't give her much attention until she's calmed down as if you don't, hopefully she won't be that bothered when you enter a room.

I hope this helps I didn't read any other reply so sorry if this has been said, my dog is much better now, but make sure you don't just stop the training when she shows improvements, it will come back that way! x
Wissansean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2010, 02:01 PM
ok I had a brain storm while in the shower!

not sure if this may work but was thinking and thought that if you close the door while taking a shower the dog was fine as he knew you were in the shower figured out a way to have running water sound in the bathroom and sneaked out to do your errands you could always tape the sound and have it continuously play, or if anyone has a water pump lying around rig it to be a water fall in your tub? that is as creative as my brain gets.

the dog may think you are just taking a very long bath and eventually will get used to you not being there?

just an idea I know this wouldn't work for me cause Milo follows me around the house but those of you who's pup doesn't follow might want to try this.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Wissansean View Post
I am sure Jimmi has a brain he just hasn't found it yet

Jimmi will get better!

patience is acquired not learned! I tell my self that with my kids I haven't acquired it yet or it just runs from me
No - he really really doesn't have a brain And neither do I have patience with children Exasperating sub human life that they are - fortunately my child survived my views and is now a wonderful mother to another small. However, I have virtually endless patience with animals - we will ALL win through in the end!
Originally Posted by 1cutedog View Post
Bitkin, hope you get the all clear tomorrow at the vets and Jimmi can start his walks again, can't really blame him for being naughty and bored. Hope once they are healed this time that he has no more problems with them.

Cardaph I do hope you can progress further in a while with Bessie. What a little toerag going back to sitting in the hallway watching you. With the amount of running back and forwards at the door your doing it's not just the carpet you'll have to watch for, you'll be going through the floorboards soon as well

Wissansean welcome to our thread, hope you find info to help and we can hold your hand and comfort you along the way. It makes it so much easier to bear when yu can come here and moan or rant about the problems our dogs are causing us Milo seems to have come a long way in a week so with luck he will soon settle in and cause no more problems.

Lana's doing fine. I haven't left her again yet but will give it another shot during the week sometime.
Yes, YIPPEEEEE, Vet gave all clear for walking again, and Jimmi is a much happier dog as a result. We will go back to going out for a minute or two and leaving him in the kitchen.

Originally Posted by Lizzie-301 View Post
I had this problem with my dog, he was a rescue that had many problems as he had a violent owner previously, his separation aniety was the largest problem. We tried every way we could find on the internet and had 5 different dog trainers in. I learnt that this problem requires time, and you will be best deadicating a day or so to training your dog.

Before you start maybe take your dog for a walk, and then put him in the area he sleeps in and leave him alone for about 1 minute, keep walking in and out of the room, rattle your keys, wear your coat often throughout the day and then walk in and out of the room, as you don't want her to see that these things mean you dog is left on her own. Once you can leave her for a minute increase it to 3 minutes and keep doing this, when you walk into the room don't give her much attention until she's calmed down as if you don't, hopefully she won't be that bothered when you enter a room.

I hope this helps I didn't read any other reply so sorry if this has been said, my dog is much better now, but make sure you don't just stop the training when she shows improvements, it will come back that way! x
Thank you, all help is always gratefully received.

Originally Posted by Wissansean View Post
ok I had a brain storm while in the shower!

not sure if this may work but was thinking and thought that if you close the door while taking a shower the dog was fine as he knew you were in the shower figured out a way to have running water sound in the bathroom and sneaked out to do your errands you could always tape the sound and have it continuously play, or if anyone has a water pump lying around rig it to be a water fall in your tub? that is as creative as my brain gets.

the dog may think you are just taking a very long bath and eventually will get used to you not being there?

just an idea I know this wouldn't work for me cause Milo follows me around the house but those of you who's pup doesn't follow might want to try this.
Hehe I love it!!!! Sorry, I just cannot stop laughing at your ingenuity.........it's marvellous. Keep it coming.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Lizzie-301 thanks for your post, that's good advice, Cardaph is doing something very similar for Bessie, going along slowly but surely.

Originally Posted by Lizzie-301 View Post
I hope this helps I didn't read any other reply so sorry if this has been said,
You mean you didn't read through the whole thread What's wrong, did you not have a couple of hours to spare only joking, it is a very long thread and all info is very gratefully received.

Wissansean, good idea about the shower but you know, the dog would know, there is no way you can fool a dog, they know where you are and if you are near or just pretending

I went out for 20 minutes today, recorded Lana. After about 3 minutes she gave a couple of cries then settled again. A few minutes later she barked about 4 or 5 times, just a single bark each time but then was quiet again for the rest of the time. The recording isn't great, there's a lot of hissing in the background so not always sure what she gets up to. I heard her running about a bit, but not sure if it was anxiety or she was playing. I'm thinking anxiety. I'm sure I have a web cam somewhere so if I find out how to use it I might set it up and see what she's up to.

I'll see how she goes over the next week or so. I'm thinking of getting zylkene again because of the fireworks anyway as I think we will probably get quite a few set off near here.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2010, 08:16 PM
1cutedog, 20 minutes is good........very good. Well done Lana because even if she did have the odd woof and scuttled about a bit, you came back before she became really stressed or caused damage so that is a big step forward again.

Your idea of the web cam is good, but it's range will be very limited so may not show up much and might be very frustrating! It reminds me of a tv programme I saw once about a woman dog trainer who was called to a house with a dog who was suffering from SA. She installed CCTV, and honestly.........the revelations! This dog pulled down the oven door then used it as a stepping stone onto the work surface; he peed liberally on the bread bin, the taps, everywhere actually! Then opened the microwave and ate some food that was in there, followed by more peeing.......it was funny, but not funny! The thing is though, this dog had his tail up and was clearly just taking advantage of being alone and was not actually stressed as such. Our dogs are different. The last time that we left Jimmi alone was way way back, and his weeing and pooping all over the floor plus destructive behaviour was clearly not naughtiness, and nor has been Lana's behaviour, (or Bessie's or Milo's).

As 20 minutes seems to be a fairly safe length of time for Lana now, perhaps you can do a few more 20 minute sessions before lengthening them to 30 minutes. You lucky thing.......due to Jimmi's medical problems, we are still at the two minute stage!!!
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by 1cutedog View Post
Lizzie-301 thanks for your post, that's good advice, Cardaph is doing something very similar for Bessie, going along slowly but surely.
Slowly being the operative word - a snail would progress faster than we are doing

I agree about the shower idea Bessie would certainly be on the case once I came out of the shower - would have to find a way of escaping out of the window

Brilliant about Lana 1cutedog - must be a great feeling knowing you are on the winning side of the problem.

Bitkin and I have some catching up to do Yesterday Bessie got bored with us doing our door thing and went into the living room. I am tempted to try going outside again but think I'll leave it another couple of days.
Wissansean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Milo is back to wimpering again when I go down stairs and not let hin there is a cat door and he will put his head through it I think he is trying to shove his whole body through. but on a lighter note I did leave him alone for about 5-10 min just to run up the street to a neighbors and pick up their tv I went out the garage door and there was no destruction! I was so happy

also when I do leave the house and walk back in and make him stay in he will sit at the door and wait for me to return but when I do he doesn't get all excited he just looks at me and is normal for him with following my around the house and laying when I stay in a certain room for a period of time .... so do I tell him good boy for being good or ignore him and if I ignore him how long? cause there is no settling down time for him?

Good job with Lana,1cutedog!
Bitkin, I am happy you can walk Jimmi again
cardaph, slowly but surely is always better than not at all!
Page 36 of 44 « First < 26 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 > Last »