Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by 1cutedog View Post
Had to nip out again today and couldn't take Lana.

I was away for 18 and 1/2 minutes and she was fine. She did run backwards and forwards once or twice but not sure if she was actually playing with a toy, but no crying or whining or anything. There was me so worried about her I had to stop myself running back along the road because I knew if I did that I would barely be a minute sooner and might not have been able to cope with the stairs
That's just brilliant I think you've turned the corner with her and it will all be plain sailing from now on. It will be hard to leave her at first because you've never been able to do it but once you convince yourself she is fine it will be ok I'm sure.
We've just done the leaving signals with Bessie and the success of the other day must have been forgotton as she was on our case as soon as we walked to the front door.
I think though we picked the wrong time as she knew she would be going out for her second walk. Will try again later.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Cardaph, hope you had better luck with Bessie later on. She must have thought she was getting her second walk that wee bit earlier.

I was lucky both days with Lana that no one came up the stairwell or rung any of the doorbells. The doorbells make the noise of trucks when they are reversing, beep beep beep and are so loud. The noise sets Lana off barking and also does the same to the dog downstairs, when her owners are in anyway. When they're out she has the zitronella collar on so doesn't bark.
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2010, 07:54 AM
No she was terrible the next time we tried it too drat But for some reason yesterday she seemed on edge all day and didn't settle well, always asking to be out in the garden and then just barking when she was let out. Started her on the serene-um yesterday so hopefully today we may see some improvement.

Don't think I could use the citronella collar after reading mixed reports about it. Hope your success with Lana continues - keep us posted - it will give us hope!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 06:03 PM
How was Bessie today Cardaph? All you can do when things grind to a halt in this way is grit your teeth, and do a Scarlett O'Hara......"Tomorrow is another day!!".

I am really really hoping that when we see the Vet on Monday morning he will give the all clear for Jimmi to have walks again, because without exercise and his normal routine he is becoming downright naughty, and to be honest sometimes the berserkums he does around the house or the garden equate to a walk down by the river! The main problem though is still that we cannot practice leaving him totally alone in case he chews on his paw and sets everything back again.

I went out for the morning yesterday, about four hours in all, and according to husband he was not stressed as such but he followed him around constantly (dog followed man, not other way around!), and when husband settled to read the paper Jimmi planted himself by the french windows to wait for my return. No snooze, which would be his normal thing mid morning. So for the moment it seems that we are stuck at this stage

Our two days away are now only a month hence, and I am definitely going to get him some of that calming stuff in the hope that it will help.
Wissansean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-09-2010, 03:11 AM
ok I am adding myself to the list. Milo I've had for a week Sat. with the return to shelter and pick up the next day. He has destroyed the house broke the frame on the door window and cut his paw in process, broke out of the crate so I zip tied it and slid the pan out and bent the wires up enought to get himself out. dented the door knobs and more.
Today I decided that when I go downstairs he is not going to come and I have also stepped out side several times to put stuff in the recycle bins and then Hubby came home and I left completely to get the kids from school, take one to a Birthday party and then when he came home took the other to grandma's for a sleep over, and Milo has been doing fine with all that he used to whine and scratch at the door whenever I would leave even if someone else would be here for him. It seems that he is improving a great deal he still follows me around the house.
Other than the destroying of the house he is a perfect dog doesn't jump on people,house trained,great with kids,cats,ferrets,chinchillas and the hamster! won't run off when not on leash. he is great!
Tomorrow I am going to make the kids stay out and then I will go out for a few min and see how he does? I hope this will work. he is a rescue dog also about 9 months but a very large and strong puppy. I will let you know how he does I do tell him good boy when I come in and he stayed in the house(he knows how to unlock and open the screen doors). I will post tomorrow and let you all know how he is doing he is a submissive dog so from reading the other posts I am hoping that he will be a bit easier to rid the SA!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Wissansean View Post
ok I am adding myself to the list. Milo I've had for a week Sat. with the return to shelter and pick up the next day. He has destroyed the house broke the frame on the door window and cut his paw in process, broke out of the crate so I zip tied it and slid the pan out and bent the wires up enought to get himself out. dented the door knobs and more.
Today I decided that when I go downstairs he is not going to come and I have also stepped out side several times to put stuff in the recycle bins and then Hubby came home and I left completely to get the kids from school, take one to a Birthday party and then when he came home took the other to grandma's for a sleep over, and Milo has been doing fine with all that he used to whine and scratch at the door whenever I would leave even if someone else would be here for him. It seems that he is improving a great deal he still follows me around the house.
Other than the destroying of the house he is a perfect dog doesn't jump on people,house trained,great with kids,cats,ferrets,chinchillas and the hamster! won't run off when not on leash. he is great!
Tomorrow I am going to make the kids stay out and then I will go out for a few min and see how he does? I hope this will work. he is a rescue dog also about 9 months but a very large and strong puppy. I will let you know how he does I do tell him good boy when I come in and he stayed in the house(he knows how to unlock and open the screen doors). I will post tomorrow and let you all know how he is doing he is a submissive dog so from reading the other posts I am hoping that he will be a bit easier to rid the SA!
Welcome to the nut house!

As you will probably have seen, there are three main culprits on this thread, Lana a rescue dog whose owner is having to cope with this SA issue all on her own; Bessie who is a one off and is currently doing her best to resist the best advice from a behaviourist, and Jimmi another rescue dog who is enjoying a break from training due to a poorly paw.

Now there are 4!! Hello Milo

There is a magic bottle hidden from the mods in this thread, and it dispenses any alcohol that you want - so perhaps you could use it to help you read through all the pages, to see if there are any tips that you may be able to use with Milo.

I look forward to reading your posts on progress - let's be optimistic here!
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2010, 07:12 PM
and there are a few of us in the background.... enjoying the magic bottle and trying to help out where we can..... and I have to say... this is the best SA experience thread around!!!
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Oh drat I typed a message earlier on and mustn't have pressed the submit button!

Bitkin I'm keeping everything crossed for you to get the all clear for walks on Monday, clearly our Jimmi is feeling a tad bored at being stuck in the house all day! Hope you get some practise in too for the weekend away. We will most likely be away at the same time as we are going to the Lake District about then. This time though Bessie comes with us.

We've gone back to just doing the leaving signals inside the house (my poor hall carpet!) She is back to sitting in the hallway watching us (probably thinking we've gone mad). I'm now a bit scared of taking it any further at the moment because of last time, but to progress am going to have to.

1Cutedog how is Lana doing?

Cintvelt, it's nice to know you are there watching over us

Wissansean - you've come to the right place! You are not alone and it's so good to come on here amongst folk that actually understand what we are going through with our dogs.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Drat indeed Cardaph - don't you just hate it when you forget to actually press the send button!!

Jimmi is definitely bored, and he breaks my heart with his constant hopeful expression every time I go near his harness and lead near the back door. I just wish that we could have used the past ten days to do some wearing out of the hall carpet, but perhaps next week when normal routine with walks is established, and he is happier, we can try again.

I went out for a couple of hours walk (very lonely without Jimmi or husband) this morning, and husband then went out this afternoon for a while........at least we can keep up the general leaving and coming back thing without actually leaving him alone. Honestly, the neighbours must be beginning to wonder!!!!!

Wissansean, from what you say Milo has fixated on you as being the most important person in his life - don't despair, (although all that destruction is not funny is it) and when you have the odd moment, write down on here what is happening and what you are trying. We will support you all the way.
Wissansean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2010, 02:32 AM
I thank you all for your willing to listen and help with Milo. well today and yesterday I have been going in and out of the house with out Milo he sits at the door but then leaves after a while Hubby is in the house when I am out so he is not home alone yet, but when I tell him to stay at the door when I go out he listens! I think that the going downstairs and outside for brief periods of time and not letting him come is working 2 days in a row! woohoo! I am going to try and leave him alone in the house maybe later this week depends on how he is still doing with me coming and going. I will let you all know how he does.

On a lighter note I think that bringing him back to the shelter for that one day has made him detach himself from me a little bit which I am glad about, sort of now I have SA from him! but he is adopting the rest of the family as well, I hope that is a good thing and he doesn't have SA from all of us he was upset when we walked the kids to school and couldn't go on grounds and then they disappeared he was acting crazy but then as we started to walk home he calmed down. he still follows me around everywhere in the house except for right now he is in my room sleeping on my side of the bed on the floor I am very surprised and LONELY I didn't get the chance to have him inside alone yet as I was watching my niece I was thinking it may be too soon anyway
Page 35 of 44 « First < 25 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 > Last »