View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 04:32 PM
I finally watched this one. I found it hard to watch I am not experienced with dogs or training, but surely there is a better way they could have dealt with the kelpie. I don't understand how forcing a dog into sitting like that and swinging it about by it's lead will help. What's wrong with positive training methods being used to help - give the poor dog a good reason to sit. If someone was holding me down I would struggle and lash out all I could aswell.
Even though the dog was biting, it could have done a lot more damage if it really wanted to. They didn't investigate why the dog was behaving that way, just put it down to bullying I don't know but that just doesn't seem right to me
Those trainers know a lot more than me, but I think they should have refused to use this case on the programme. There was obviously going to be no change in 3 days, they should have arranged for them to do something long term instead. All the show did was stress them all out.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by AJL View Post
Typically a film crew spends about 2 days with each set of owners, and the trainers then get to see this footage. .
Thanks, AJL as that seems to concur exactly with what I have been told today. The production crew, who presumably know nothing about dogs, get to see the dog first. Before the trainer.

Wys
x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 06:07 PM
oh dear, I thought things had improved slightly this series, but this kelpie thing proves otherwise.
Wys I trust your judgement.
It has occured to me that the dog was displaying fearful aggression for a reason???? As there was no history given on the show though....
I agree, the case should never have been used.
BS i am with you...I don't know enough to judge, but it was bad viewing and the dog looked scared and yes, now it has been mentioned, was, when I think about it, showing incredible bite inhibition. I don't see how forcing it to sit and be handled is a good thing.
AJL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Thanks, AJL as that seems to concur exactly with what I have been told today. The production crew, who presumably know nothing about dogs, get to see the dog first. Before the trainer.

Wys
x
Wys, yes its crew first - and while they may apreciate dogs, certainly not trainers. Think its the nature of the programme though, and guess not practical to get the trainers meeting owners in the home
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 06:16 PM
I think we need to remember it's a tele programme and so the trainers not going to the home is part of that. The thing is, it does need to be reponsible....I don't think the last episode of DB was. I feel really sorry for that kelpie. The female trainer IS good though....

As an aside I was well miffed Mic made the stupid comment about the rottie being too big a dog for the girl.My OH is 6 ft 2 and I am a foot shorter. I was much more able to handle our last 7 and a half stone, enormous and mad at times pup, than my OH was...in this and the rotties case, size really doesn't matter.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-12-2006, 06:22 PM
In all fairness, we have to appreciate that we get to see an 'edited' version of the entire events - it's shown as entertainment, not education, or a documentary about training. We really do have to bear that in mind and keep it in perspective.

What we can say though, is from what I saw.. or I didn't like this bit or I thought that bit was fine etc, basically comment on the bits we actually see (but also try and keep the bigger picture in mind).

With regards to this particular episode - I think perhaps they should have broke with convention and let Rob actually deal with the dog instead of trying to 'train the owners' which is what the show is generally about (and with that case I don't feel it was a good idea, because the wrong signals from an inexperienced handler could make the dog worse). I also think the trainers should make sure they are allowed to get involved with editing the final shows of 'sensitive' cases like these. But of course that is in hindsight, and we do not know what kind of contracts they have signed.

It is a shame that the program makers don't make a program that actually helps educate owners (ie a program that people like us want to see!) instead of an 'entertainment' program, which, could actually end up effecting dogs negatively through people watching the show and getting the wrong end of the stick to try out themselves.

Or, they could meet us halfway and devote half of the program to actually explaining what the techniques were, how they were used and it what instances they might be applied.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 09:16 PM
I've been hoping I could give everyone the low down on this dog and history, but unforunately I cannot - it would be a breach of confidentiality which I cannot break.

I am gutted as I think it would explain so much. I'm so sorry as now everyone will be wondering what I was on about

I will say just one thing, which is that the dog was almost certainly in some degree of pain, (that's not my guessing) and that all is not what it seemed.

I am afraid I cannot say any more. Please accept my apologies.

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
It is a shame that the program makers don't make a program that actually helps educate owners (ie a program that people like us want to see!) instead of an 'entertainment' program, which, could actually end up effecting dogs negatively through people watching the show and getting the wrong end of the stick to try out themselves.

Azz, did you ever watch Dogs with Dunbar?
It was education, and very good too! IMHO, that is what we need - can't see why some tv company doesn't prick up their ears and do something like it...

Wys
x
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I will say just one thing, which is that the dog was almost certainly in some degree of pain, (that's not my guessing) and that all is not what it seemed.
I read that on another forum

Can you tell us if anything is being done now to help Bis?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Can you tell us if anything is being done now to help Bis?
Poor dog - I sincerely hope so
Page 34 of 45 « First < 24 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 44 > Last »