Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post

I have always considered that life is not a popularity contest. Those people that make a difference are often nasty ********! Take Winston Churchill ... a great man, without whom I doubt any of us would be debating here on Dogsey. By all accounts, not the nicest of people. Certainly not P.C.!

Gnasher - is that what you think you are doing, making a difference? It's perfectly fine to be honest and state one's case but why do it in a way that offends other people? You only succeed in alienating the very groups whose minds you might wish to change?

Thank you Dawn, couldn't have put it better myself.

I used to be far more tactful than I am now, used to keep my thoughts to myself for fear of upsetting people. A major, very negative, event in my life completely changed me, maybe not necessarily for the better, but it certainly changed me, and I am far more likely to speak my mind now than I was before this event. If you like, it was a bit of a "Conversion on the road to Damascus" moment, although it took far longer than just a moment. I am no hard-bitten old curmudgeon either, I am far too easily moved to tears, especially in connection with pain and suffering caused to animals by humans, and despite want anyone might think, I care very very deeply for animals ... which is why I stand by what I have said about watching the video. This appalling cruelty is YOUR OWN KIND, your own species, inflicting this totally unnecessary agony beyond imagination on these beautiful animals just for the sake of so-called beauty, for fashion. My personal opinion is that it is MY DUTY to FORCE myself to see what my own fellow man is capable of doing ... if you like to pay penance.

This is the way I feel, I cannot help it, and if you don't like reading my words, then don't read them for goodness sake ... that's what the Ignore button is for.
Again, people are intelligent enough to form an opinion without sitting through animal torture. I know full well that you care deeply about animals - I know what you have done for Tai for a start. It's admirable that you care deeply about animals but you might want to spare a thought for the people - also animal lovers - that you are upsetting with your words. You won't change anyone's opinions by trying to coerce them with harsh words and whilst it is members of your kind that are engaging in such disgusting practices, it is not every member of your kind doing so. People are not all bad.

If you - or anyone else - wishes to watch the video, that's fine and dandy and up to you. Just as it is nobody else's concern if others choose not to.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Well there ya go, you can please some of the people some of the time but............................................... ............
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
The last time the world went pink and fluffy for me was way back in the sixties ...then I grew up. A forum is a place for honest debate, not a social networking site.
Yes it is, but that does not mean it has to be personal and attacking. I love a good honest debate, but they seem to quite often turn nasty.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I agree, which is why I dont go on social networking sites! Unfortunately, some people do feel that sweetness and light is what makes the world go round, but like you said, you grow up!
I geuss that as usual Dawn, this is aimed at me. For me i will always try to treat people as i wish to be treated and try to live the best life i can with kindness. It does not mean im imature or nieave or that i can not have a good debate.
But your comments just reiterate my point, calling me names pink and fluffy etc, why?
alady??
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Signed, I never watched the video its oo cruel... barbarians!!
Have cross posted to BUA forum too.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
Im not interested in what Gnasher has done or said before, i just read this thread and felt that what ever she said, she could not be right, it gave the impression to me as people were out to get gnasher whatever she said. i just thinkGnasher is entitled to her opinion whether we like it or not as is everyone, but there is no need to drag up everything about Gnasher.
I just dont see why we cant express our opinions without being personal and plain nasty in some instances.
yes, she is entitled to her opinion but is she entitled to offend people? should we just sit back and not speak out about it?

and she got personal and nasty first.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Im not interested in what Gnasher has done or said before, i just read this thread and felt that what ever she said, she could not be right, it gave the impression to me as people were out to get gnasher whatever she said. i just thinkGnasher is entitled to her opinion whether we like it or not as is everyone, but there is no need to drag up everything about Gnasher.
I just dont see why we cant express our opinions without being personal and plain nasty in some instances.
I feel that she judged others and she stated that, Gnasher decided to turn the thread to other topics and not just stated her opinion but felt the need to ridicule, belittle and patronise people at the expense of enjoying herself and tried to add controversy to matters on this thread. So even on this thread alone, she was more than expressing her opinion. She decided to judge others for not watching the video and followed up with her sarcastic and pathetic remarks. So if you are feeling so sorry for Gnasher I suggest you go back and read this thread again and see it was more than an opinion she stated.
I have come to the conclusion she is actually enjoying herself on here and the stuff she writes on here is to get attention as everytime she is asked to clarify something she changes tacts, so therefore trying to continue the debate. Which I find so pointless and have stopped conversing with her.

True, and after all if you live by the sword, you will die by the sword.

If I can't take it, then I shouldn't be controversial should I. I agree entirely with this, although having been bullied myself very badly when I was at boarding school, I detest bullies. I don't view myself as being bullied though on this particular thread, just castigated for having my own opinion, told that I am wrong ... because THEIR opinion is the right one, not mine !! Not very democratic
Gnasher her self states she is being controversial and does not think she has been bullied so your first remark and after is in defence of someone who doesnt even believe that is the case.

Yes it is, but that does not mean it has to be personal and attacking. I love a good honest debate, but they seem to quite often turn nasty.
Some have, this one seems to have stuck mainly to the point I have seen much worse on here and no one say anything, but now you waste your assistance on someone that does not even think she has been bullied
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 06:12 AM
NOOOO !! You miss my point COMPLETELY !! I am trying to say that I don't care a fig what people think about me, and using as an example the famously "crinkly" and very un-PC person Winston Churchill to illustrate why being this way, being different, swimming against the flow, etc. etc., should be nothing to be ashamed of, and indeed even desirable. God forbid I should COMPARE myself with such a great person!

Thank you for your kind remarks about Tai . This may sound very harsh, but I am not sure I care too much about upsetting people! I am sorry, and I have apologised, but I care a shedload more for those poor animals. Unlike us, they do not have the choice "to press the ignore button". I am fully aware that not all people are bad, but you have to admit that animal cruelty is more common, certainly in this country, than cruelty to children ... something else I of course abhorr. We are of course talking about China in this thread, not the UK, where I am sure the odds are not so at variance.

Business ... no. Concern? ... I would say yes. I am concerned, concerned that people who I KNOW are as big animal lovers as myself cannot bring themselves to at least watch a little bit, that would be enough quite frankly as it is so horrific. Sorry if this upsets anybody, but it's how I feel.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
yes, she is entitled to her opinion but is she entitled to offend people? should we just sit back and not speak out about it?

and she got personal and nasty first.
You sound like a schoolchild ... "well, SHE got nasty first" ... so there !!

really !!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 06:18 AM
Emrad : you said: " ...and have stopped conversing with her".

This is actually the most intelligent thing you have said yet ... you don't like me or my points of view ... great, your entitlement, and you have stopped conversing with me. End of story. The correct thing to do if someone upsets you ... just ignore them.
Closed Thread
Page 33 of 34 « First < 23 30 31 32 33 34 >