Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
What would you consider a well trained dog ought to be able to do?

rune
One that obeys what you tell it to do!!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Diesel is a good dog, and obeys most things, but to expect a dog with a lot of sighthound make up, and a high prey drive to stand still when something takes his attention would be too much for many lurchers/longdogs, with mine I can get them to come back to the lead when they've spotted something (most of the time) but Lurchers are not like they use to be and (most) are not being bred for the same thing, this is a result of they use to have to control the chase and hide when working, to lower the risk of hanging, times have moved on since then, dogs are being crossed and bred to create lurchers, and the control of the chase isn't at the forefront of most breeders minds, other aspects of working are, so Lurchers have changed, and there are many flighty dogs of this type.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

10-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Diesel is a good dog, and obeys most things, but to expect a dog with a lot of sighthound make up, and a high prey drive to stand still when something takes his attention would be too much for many lurchers/longdogs, with mine I can get them to come back to the lead when they've spotted something (most of the time) but Lurchers are not like they use to be and (most) are not being bred for the same thing, this is a result of they use to have to control the chase and hide when working, to lower the risk of hanging, times have moved on since then, dogs are being crossed and bred to create lurchers, and the control of the chase isn't at the forefront of most breeders minds, other aspects of working are, so Lurchers have changed, and there are many flighty dogs of this type.
Jezzzz, makes one feel like one is from the dark ages.

What relevance has time got to do with the fact, I or others know of people who own lurchers and can control them!!

Did I say they all had one foot in the grave??
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Stop when its told, not to take chase unless told or slipped.
What about anything else? Is it all irrelevant?

Sit, down, come back?

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
One that obeys what you tell it to do!!
Like recalling regardless of distractions?

rune
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Didn't know you was around when poachers and their dogs would be hung if caught I'm just explaining lurchers and their history, I can control my dogs (you'd be welcome to see at any time), but from when they were being crossed with the smithfield collies till now things have changed, dogs are not being selected for their self control so much.

I must admit though to finding it funny that someone who hasnt met my dog was able to tell me what he was doing when I told him to do something and took a picture of it, you are a funny one sometimes JB.

The thing is sighthounds around certain things are instincts with legs, to leave them off lead, staring at something is just asking for trouble, some more then others, but when the world and his misses can create lurchers not all will be well bred, and some will be more flighty then others, but most will have some degree of prey drive, meaning that leaving them looking at something in the distance to take a photo is silly, and not something I would do.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Yes, if it is well trained, it may suprise you Chaz, but I know quite a fewe lurcher owners, who can recall their dogs , even if they see prey in the distance! A pic can only capture the moment Chaz, he could have been standing there fo 10 mins or 10 seconds, we cant see that. I see its the "whats that" you use to get him to stand and look alert, mine do the same, bu thave never trained them to do it.
Just seen this, he also does it to 'ears', Honey has also been loose in a field of Deer, and recalled from a pheasent and heron he will also stand like that till I release him.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Why is it I half knew putting a photo of Diesel up would of set the bells off
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

10-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Didn't know you was around when poachers and their dogs would be hung if caught I'm just explaining lurchers and their history, I can control my dogs (you'd be welcome to see at any time), but from when they were being crossed with the smithfield collies till now things have changed, dogs are not being selected for their self control so much.

I must admit though to finding it funny that someone who hasnt met my dog was able to tell me what he was doing when I told him to do something and took a picture of it, you are a funny one sometimes JB.

The thing is sighthounds around certain things are instincts with legs, to leave them off lead, staring at something is just asking for trouble, some more then others, but when the world and his misses can create lurchers not all will be well bred, and some will be more flighty then others, but most will have some degree of prey drive, meaning that leaving them looking at something in the distance to take a photo is silly, and not something I would do.
I see, "not like they used to be" is a bit ambiguous, it could mean, 10 yrs ago, 50 yrs or 100!!

The picture you posted is a picture of a dog looking into the distance, the dog is "looking" something has caught his eye, or more to the point he is looking for it!

Your missing the point Chaz, the dog may not have something in his sights, but he is "looking " for something to connect to your words "whats that"!! and he very well may pick that something up,

I can do the same, stand in the garden/field and say... "look" "whats that" or words to that effect, and they will do the same, come to attention and look for the invisable "what"!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

10-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Why is it I half knew putting a photo of Diesel up would of set the bells off
Nothing to do with the picture of Diesel more to do with the fact your assumption, that those who show dogs in certion positions are not as good as you at getting a dog to stand alert

Diesel is no show dog, but we have accidentally created a command where he goes into a alert pose, now I know that show dogs stand better, but is there no way that the owners could mark when the dog is alert, and use that to train for the ring instead of facing off with other dogs, or is that the only way to do it?
Basically, if I achieve this, with only a word, then why cant they!!

The fact is Chaz, thats the way they show their dogs, they would not be satisfied if their dog just stood looking into the distance,

The dogs need to show "ATTITUDE"! they wont get it by saying "whats over there"!
Page 31 of 35 « First < 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 > Last »