Our sister sites
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Thanks everyone!
Lovely to be back at home!
We went to the cinema on Saturday to celebrate, and also bought some art for our living room!

Waiting for the district nurse today, as I have 1 stitch that needs taking out, and the other needs re-dressing once a week for 3 weeks!
Glad you are able to stay positive after the hospital ordeal, you have a great attitude.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Hi everyone.
Went to Christies on Monday for my 4th chemo.
First I had blood taken, and my stitch taken out - so now my line doesn't need to br dressed anymore, and I can shower normally!

I saw my consultant, and discussed side effects........and I have been taken off one of the chemo drugs, called Vincristine.
After the last chemo I developed numbness and pins & needles in both arms and legs - and i've now had it for 3 1/2 weeks.
Because I had the same drug 7 years ago, the doctors have stopped it, otherwise the damage to my nerves could become permanent.

I'm feeling pretty sick and weak, and have had a massive headache, but I managed the cinema and dog training yesterday!

I'm also on nightly injections of something called G-CSF (Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor).
It stimulates the bone marrow to produce stem cells, and release them into the blood.
I'm having these for 10 nights, then on the 27th August I go back to Christies and have a blood test, and hopefully will have my stem-cells harvested - if there are enough!

I try to make the most of my 'good weeks', taking the dogs to the beach etc, as it's getting closer to my hospitalisation for my stem cell transplant - which will be in around 12 weeks!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Just to let you all know I had my stem cells harvested on Thursday.
It was a long day - I had to arrive early for a blood test.
First they needed to see if I had enough white blood cells, when they found I had, we had to wait for results which were a 'prediction' to how many stem cells I had in my blood.

Both results were positive, so we went ahead with the harvesting.
I was hooked up to a machine - blood coming out of my arm, through the machine, and back into my body through my central line.
The machine would process all the blood in my body 2 1/2 times, but only about 200ml would be out of my body at once - which is why it takes about 4 1/2 hours!

At the same time as taking the blood, they add an anti-coagulant, so the blood doesn't thicken/clot, and when this goes back into your body it strips you of calcium, which can make you feel a bit sick/tingly - this happened to me, so they gave me a drip with calcium in.

Anyway! I had that done, and they said they would call me within about 1 or 2 hours and let me know the results.
If they could not collect enough that day, I should return the next day for them to try again - but as I was going away, they said it would be done after my next chemo if needed.

On the way home from the hospital I got the phonecall - They needed to collect 2 million stem cells per kilo of my body weight.
Great news........they collected 4.2 million cells per kilo of my body weight
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Brilliant News!
buzzie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2009, 04:27 PM
I am just seeing this and wonder at your wonderful outlook with all you have been through but really that is what is so good for you.

I so hope what you have ahead of you will work and I wish you nothing but happy and healthy days in the future. Picture that rainbow in your mind and it will keep you going through the rough times. Hugs, Joan
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 07:08 PM
I just wanted to say hi Hevvur as i haven't been on for a while.Glad that you're doing ok.Thinking of you xxxxxx
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Still thinking of you x
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2009, 08:01 PM
glad all going well
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Afternoon everyone......
Went for 5th chemo this morning........and been sent home!
They dont want to do anymore!

I have to have a CT and a PET scan, and then hopefully bring the date of my transplant forwards!
Theres a slim chance I might need 1 more chemo in 3 weeks, but probably not!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Great news Hevvur.....keep on trucking!
Page 30 of 70 « First < 20 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 40 > Last »