View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Totally agree, when our gsd went back to her breeder because our landlord changed his mind about us having her the breeder was going to give us our money back and keep the dog for herself.
We never got the money and she disappeared without trace.
We were then in a position to have her back, we'd love to know where she is as we chipped her, paid for her etc.

If all vets checked chips at each visit it would help.

So signed.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 12:25 PM
the dog wardens round me have scanners in the vans so can scan straight away and get back to owners.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 12:39 PM
The problem is microchips do not prove ownership of the dog/cat it is implanted in, so there is no requirement in law to seek the registered owner of the chip & it's not against the law to rehome a stolen microchipped dog nor to have possesion of one.

Tattoos do prove ownership, which is why my dogs are all chipped & tattooed in a belt & braces approach & it is illegal to not try to trace the owner of a tattooed dog/cat before rehoming it etc
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The problem is microchips do not prove ownership of the dog/cat it is implanted in, so there is no requirement in law to seek the registered owner of the chip & it's not against the law to rehome a stolen microchipped dog nor to have possesion of one.

Tattoos do prove ownership, which is why my dogs are all chipped & tattooed in a belt & braces approach & it is illegal to not try to trace the owner of a tattooed dog/cat before rehoming it etc
Mine are chipped & tattoo'd except for my old boy, & this gave me confidence until I picked up a dog from a dog's home to take to a foster home & we found a tattoo in her ear which had gone unnoticed by the warden & the home.
Have had my old lad chipped & that has moved slightly so its not readily noticed. I have them checked regularly to make sure the chip is there. Now I have a note on his collar warning the chip has moved slightly as well as the tag saying he is chipped, but there's no guarentee they'll check this either I suppose.
Have still signed petition, think its a good idea.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 05:13 PM
SIGNED

completely agree
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 05:48 PM
signed... I thought they did scan
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I've signed it. I just hope it helps.

Heidi
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Its also important to educate those who do scan,,to scan the whole body!!!

Bandits chip has migrated to his chest, if someone just scanned his neck, they will not find it.

How many times do you see, on these animal programmes , people scanning , I am always shouting...scan the whole bl**dy body.... it may have moved
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Most definitely signed. Completely agree.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2008, 08:32 PM
my vets always scan the whole body, a lady came in on friday with a doglet she had found and asked if they could scan to see if there was chip so she could get the owners details they went all over the dog and not chip. was very sad as he was a sweet boy, but i did find out today the dog did get back to his owner who was an old lady, and she had been out for 3hrs looking for her dog my vets chipped him for free as she just did not hae the money to do it his collar had broke so was not wearing his tag. My vets are great thank god. so it was happy end
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >