View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Been playing with a bit of photo tweaking, [ just a quick job, so please excuse the grass not matching properly lol ], hope you don`t mind

As the tummy is one area through which a dog disperses heat so might help him if that were free`er of coat, how about a close trim starting under his throat, chest, an underneath, with the sides softy feathered to make a natural looking `join` as it were, [ have`nt feathered there on the pic below, my software is too basic unless I outlined individual hairs lol ], then the underneath of his britches trimmed out leaving the outer visible layers long, an the thicker coat along his back just thinned out a bit for better air flow ? [ again, could`nt tweak pic to show how those two areas would look, hopefully you`ll get what I mean though ].
I think maybe doing those bits would give him the comfort factor he needs, especially for the tum area, but without changing his overall look drastically ?
*The white would still be there, just shorter, which again I could`nt show effectively with such a quickly done very basic picture tweak

Please feel free to ignore of course, t`was just me musing that`s all

Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Or Becky could have posted sooner before I started playing with the pic which would have saved me from embarrassing myself by giving such a lousy description
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Been playing with a bit of photo tweaking, [ just a quick job, so please excuse the grass not matching properly lol ], hope you don`t mind

As the tummy is one area through which a dog disperses heat so might help him if that were free`er of coat, how about a close trim starting under his throat, chest, an underneath, with the sides softy feathered to make a natural looking `join` as it were, [ have`nt feathered there on the pic below, my software is too basic unless I outlined individual hairs lol ], then the underneath of his britches trimmed out leaving the outer visible layers long, an the thicker coat along his back just thinned out a bit for better air flow ? [ again, could`nt tweak pic to show how those two areas would look, hopefully you`ll get what I mean though ].
I think maybe doing those bits would give him the comfort factor he needs, especially for the tum area, but without changing his overall look drastically ?
*The white would still be there, just shorter, which again I could`nt show effectively with such a quickly done very basic picture tweak

Please feel free to ignore of course, t`was just me musing that`s all

lol, i'll match it up and see how it fairs to the real beofre and after! Looks good, it's thickest on his neck, his masculine knickers and his back, the feathers on his tummy are the thinnest by far. It's like mop heads on the back of his legs but you cant see in that pic because of his brush tail. He's a bit of an oddball bless.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Or Becky could have posted sooner before I started playing with the pic which would have saved me from embarrassing myself by giving such a lousy description
lol! No it's made my night!

This is one of him a wee while after being totally clipped off and a prime example of what I don't want, lol!

ETA: No idea why his neck resembles that of a giraffe's!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
lol! No it's made my night!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Because for some dogs that is the case

And for some dogs they are just plain uncomfortable with lots of coat, including a white one of mine who really suffers in hot weather - until his coat is clipped off all over - and yes, extreme care taken to not let him be out in the sun at the hottest time of day and yes making use of sunscreen for dogs Sorry patch dont agree with chopping dogs fur off. Its also weird to me that a white dog would suffer in the heat, Samoyeds seem to manage fine.

My vets have always preferred to give advice of how to make sure clipped dogs are kept safe from sun and heat exposure, its more productive than just despairing But when they see the dog, its too late isnt it! They can offer advice but not unless they are asked BEFORE the owner has it all chopped off!

Wet Coats are brilliant, the ones I have for Defa and Fluke are double layer fleece, which when soaked keep nice and damp and cool underneath regardless of the water evaporating off the top outer layer.
They do need to be regularly checked for topping up of course. In the hottest weather the ones I use tend to need a top up, [ fresh soak ], every three to four hours, [ that`s when at a Show so out and about all day ].
I agree with you on a soaked towel not being ideal because of evaporation, they are single layer and usually too loosely woven to be of any real benefit even if doubled over, thats why a double fleece wet coat is much better. If using a towel or t-shirt, they have to be pretty constantly soaked or will backfire by water evaporating too quickly as you rightly point out.

People often forget as well that when soaking a dog to keep them cool, whether paddling pool or river etc, they must`nt be allowed to then run around in the sun as they will dry too fast and temp will increase.
A soaked dog should be taken to somewhere shaded with a good breeze, [ or use a magazine or whatever as a fan ], or a cold air fan used to ensure they don`t dry out too fast - putting a soaked dog straight in the car without using a fan will make the dogs temp shoot right up for instance, just the cool fan of the vehicle itself is`nt enough, they would need something like a powerful crate suspended fan or better still , [ if at home ], a hair drier on cold air setting.

Ah but if sooo affected by neuter then the coat presumably isn`t as nature intended so may need intervention to thin it back to more natural state
thin it, NOT clip it!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Do you not strip your terriers Dawn?
Becky
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm sorry but I'm another like Borderdawn!

My Spanish have extremely thick woolly coats, they don't suffer in the summer with it. My Pomeranian's also hve thick coats.

Not getting at this poster but I do sometimes feel that it is our own perception of how the dog is reacting rather than how the dog is actually feeling.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2008, 06:33 PM
my friend has sprollies & their coats are basically YUCK! not like Collies at all (i dont like trrimmed collies)

Tufty bits on the top of their heads are stripped out, ears are trimmed short,around their ear & over the ear, feet are trimmed short, feathers on legs brushed through & thinned. On the hind legs trimmed from foot top hock. Knickers brushed through & thinned out & tail "tidied". The old hair on the body is stripped esp if its on the dogs sides,then given a BIG groom with a comb to get all the old hair out.
they always look good after!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by perrodeagua View Post
I'm sorry but I'm another like Borderdawn!

My Spanish have extremely thick woolly coats, they don't suffer in the summer with it. My Pomeranian's also hve thick coats.

Not getting at this poster but I do sometimes feel that it is our own perception of how the dog is reacting rather than how the dog is actually feeling.
I`m honestly more for dogs having their natural coats, but sometimes it really is a problem for an individual dog. My lad whom I clip, its not my perception of how he`s feeling, its that when he`s clipped during very hot weather, he does`nt pant like mad, and I mean a worrying level of panting, [ which he does with full coat], is`nt restless because of heat which he is with full coat, and heat related grumpiness level drops straight away, very identifiable with him, and something a lot of owners don`t realise that over-heating can be the cause for dogs to sometimes be `out of sorts`, out of character `snappy` or worse.
My others keep their normal coats whatever the weather, because they don`t suffer like Willow does in the heat. When his coat comes off, he`s his usual self. When full coated in hot weather, he`s not a happy lad at all.

I had one other dog in the past whom I clipped for the summer, she was a cross breed, half Poodle, and her mish-mash of two coat types clashing, [ clashing for her that is, I don`t mean aesthetically ], meant she was also more comfortable without it in hot weather

Strangely, my dog who copes best in hot weather is black, yet of all of them, [ my others being all or mostly white ], she should find it the worst, but then I`ve never been one for having `normal` dogs anyway

We have to bear in mind also, even things we take for granted like central heating or other types of heating are `unnatural` in terms of what a dogs coat is designed for, and many breeds live in countries with climates completely different to the coat type their breed benefits from in their country of origin, so sometimes a dog now and then just does`nt cope well as a result of such factors

[ ps, off-topic, one of my Agility students has a new pup - a Spanish Water Dog - I`ve seen the photo`s already but I`ll be getting to meet pupster properly soon, after second jabs are out of the way ]
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >