Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CBT
Dogsey Senior

03-03-2005, 10:13 AM
teee hee this is fun
watching Laura get crabbit and swear is the best bit
(just kidding hen )

Ok here is my theory.....................................

(nah.just going to make you wait a bit longer lol lol )
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 10:14 AM
CBT !!!!!
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 10:15 AM
FFS!!!!!!!! I am going do-lally lol. You seen the broadband advert with the guy from chewin the fat? That will be me in a mo lol.

Come on surely we've sweated enough!!!!
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 10:28 AM
ok im gonna hazard a guess. You might be thinking that u shouldnt breed from dogs of a certain colour ie- whites, who knowingly carry bad genes and not breed from certain breeds ie-bulldogs, when they live their entire lives with health problems
CBT
Dogsey Senior

03-03-2005, 10:48 AM
lol lol lol PMSL
my OH says that guy is ME cos Im so impatient - "I want it and I want it NOW " kind of mentality

Ok heres my theory:

I believe that many of the problems of todays breeds could easily be rectified by outcrossing to one breed :

The humble Greyhound (that was the clue the colour Grey )

what ??? I hear you ask???

Here are my reasons why:

First of all let me say from hereon in when I say greyhounds I mean racing and coursing greyhounds, NOT the show greyhound, he has no place in this discussion

If you cross MOST breeds of dog with a greyhound, you instantly get a healthier dog. greyhounds are pretty much free from heriditary problems, they suffer far less health problems than most breeds, including hip problems, eye problems, heart problems etc.
They are pysically very well made and well balanced. They are honed to perfection as far as speed and athletic capability are concerned. just watch a greyhound in full flight, its like watching a cheetah in slow motion

People in the lurcher world have long known the benefits of crossing with greyhounds for the purposes of hunting and coursing.
Theres not many crosses with greyhounds that havent been tried!
The thing is, just a tiny injection of greyhound blood improves most breeds bull breeds especially, most bull breeds cross very well with greyhounds and it produces a better dog, one with less stuffiness and better breathing and running ability.
Cross an EBT or a bulldog with a greyhound and you instantly get better head shape, stronger body structure and better health.
Of course you could then breed back into the EBT or bulldog because obviously a greyhound cross would increase the size, head shape and nose length, and we couldnt have that now could we? but if you did this cross, you would definately get healthier dogs in the generations to follow.

If you cross a greyhound with a collie or a spaniel, it can calm the sometimes "hyper" temperament some of these dogs have and the end result is a better, more trainable dog.
Cross a greyhound with a GSD or labrador and you instantly get a dog with a straighter back and better hips!

I told you this wasnt going to be soemthing a lot of people would want to hear but its the truth!
Aside from the tiny toy breeds which would probably have difficulty mating with a greyhound, most breeds would benefit from a small addition of greyhound blood.

There are many common myths about greyhounds, now would probably be a good time to dispel a few of them

1. Greyhounds are "stupid" "untrainable etc etc etc
greyhounds seldom get the chance to prove their intelligence. When kept in racing kennels, they are schooled to the traps and to chase, they are fed watered exercised, but they are seldom trained to sit, stay or anything else. theres no point, all they need to do is go round the track fast and win.
But they CAN be trained to do all the things normal dogs do, it just takes a little longer and a good helping of patience and perseverence they certainly arent stupid, anyone who has lived with a greyhound will tell you that

2) they need loads of exercise they dont really, they are sprinters, so they only need a couple of good walks and a lung opener across some fields to keep them happy

3) they want to chase and kill everything they see they are sighthounds this is true, they have fantastic eyesight and yes, they have a high prey drive and desire to chase. However, not all are like this, the sheer amount of dogs that are got rid of due to being non-chasers is testimony to the fact not all want to chase (or maybe not all are stupid enough to be fooled by an electric hare as some non chasers go on to become coursing dogs)
If you raise and train a greyhound from a puppy theres no reason why you cant train it to be obedient same as any other dog

greyhounds have fantastic temperaments, usually very affectionate and laid-back, docile and friendly. they come in all colours and have fairly good coats considering they are short haired. They are good eaters, clean, easy to keep and suffer very few health problems they also live to a good ripe old age

I have seen many greyhound crosses, from ridgebacks to airedale terriers, from poodle to german pointer.
First cross animals would not be pleasing on the eye to show people or traditionalists, but cross them back to the breed in question, and you get to keep the added health benefits from the greyhound, whilst keeping the looks of the other breed.
Just a little bit of greyhound blood goes a long way towards improving breeds. It has been used in the creation of many recent breeds such as dobes and boxers, I wonder sometimes now that these breeds seem to be failing in some areas health wise, why breeders cannot do an outcross back to a greyhound and add a bit of va va voom back into the breeds
So there you have it, my theory on how to solve the problems of todays dogs. Not expensive, within easy reach, and do-able, after all if you can cross a corgi with a boxer to produce a bobtailed boxer and within a couple of generations have the "undesirabel" corgi looks all but gone, and the "desirable" bob tail remaining, whos to say you cant cross other breeds to greyhounds and then cross back to keep the breeds outward appearance, and also the inner health benefits of the greyhound blood?

Food for thought?

Sory if this offends the "pointy brigade" its not intended that way, If you think its a stupid or irresponsible idea then thats fine, but at least I have pointed out some of the great things about geyhounds in the process so even if people think my ideas are silly it might make them think twice about the way they see greyhounds in future
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 10:50 AM
blimey like i said in another thread its a good job i have the week off work
CBT
Dogsey Senior

03-03-2005, 11:02 AM

sorry its long just wanted to try and state my case properly. Deerhounds had an injection of greyhound blood added to pep them up a bit and it worked a treat, dont see why other breeds couldnt benefit from the same sort of thing? there doesnt seem to be any major red light flashing to say this shouldnt be done, other than the cries of disgust from the traditionalists and show people, but i think a lot of them would only object to the fact that it involves change (albeit a short term one) but with long term health benefits.

If you are in any doubt. look at the "borgi" pics, It didnt take long for them to start looking like boxers again. one outcross was all that was needed - it would be the same with a greyhound, one cross would probably be enough.
I have seen GSD x greyhounds which had the colouration of the GSD and pricked ears, and the only difference between them and a normal short-haired GSD was a better frame and a more athletic structure. If the best specimens were kept from this breeding and then bred back to the GSD the knock on health effects could be really impressive
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 11:05 AM
I will tell you what I think when I finish reading it next year CBT

Just kidding, am just about to read it now.

You know something I lack severely is patience lol. I cant even wait in cues but I am effing and blinding at the cashiers in asda for being too fecking slow lol.

Right off to read it now.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

03-03-2005, 11:07 AM
:smt003 :smt003
Im the same laura, I always loiter arounf the checkouts until one empties then I dive in with my tolley knocking all the old grannies out of the way ops:
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Right CBT now I may be a lot of things but a granny basher I aint....

shame on you lady....

Right back to the story. I take on what you say and in theory it does sound good. However, what happens a few generations back down the line when the health problems creep in just as the dogs start to evolve into what they like (not sure if this will come out in teh way I am thinking it lol). I suppose what I am trying to get at is that at one point most dogs would have been crosses of some sort and reasonably healthy, then they started breeding true to type and the problems creep in. So to use the Greyhound in such a way (remembering you mention only a small dash of this blood) how often would you need to keep adding without runing what you have but to keep as healthy? Wouldnt a new mix just end up at some point with some kind of health problems?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >