View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2007, 07:45 PM
I've seen this scenario before with one of my friends, and no matter how blunt I was with her, she just kept replying "yeah, I know......" I told her she's not doing her daughter any favours and she'll spent the rest of her life thinking the world owes her a living, for sitting on her a**! She's now in and out of jobs coz she takes too much time off with a sore throat!!!!! She's also in and out of relationships coz the blokes get fed up with her, and can you wonder why???!!! So sad, when she's such a nice girl too, but my friend as a mother is clueless, and so is the father come to that! They're too damn soft with them nowadays, what's the problem, are they frightened of them or something???

When I left school and was waiting for my place at College in the September, I came home feeling great thinking I'd have all summer off doing what I wanted with all my mates, and my dad turned round and said to me "don't think you're gonna sit on your a** until September, you can get off to Brighton and get yourself a job to tide you over till College starts in September"!!!!! and they were RICH!!!!! It certainly taught me something though - nothing in this life is for free, and you've got to work for everything you own!!! I always got by too, this lad won't with parents like that!!!!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2007, 11:00 PM
my kids ahve a pony,and it costs us £20 week keep at the riding school,my 2 are 13 and 14yr old girls,now theyv decided to get a job babysitting,for a friend for £10 a night between them so they can go out with there friends the way i look at it nothing comes for free you need to earn it,and if they want the pony and go out then they earn their money,but then i think girls are better at this than boys,if they dont work for there pony money at home then the pony will be sold,they know this and do chores,dishes clean bedroom,walk the dogs,help with the wee ons and so on.

i would tell he mam to get off the bike and sort out her son,if thats how he treats his mom imagine being married to him in years to come no thanks
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2007, 11:42 PM
My cousin used to take her lad by car on his paper round!!!
Shed start at one end of the street him the other and they met in the middle.
She now wonders why she cant get him to hold down a job.
Did wonder if I should suggust she did it for him
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Tis true she is making a rod for her own back and trouble for all who have to deal with her kids as they grow older.

One night there was noise outside as her teenage daughter had friends round. They were stood just by our outside wall by the air brick so we could hear everything, they were shouting and smoking etc. It wasn't a problem, except Tonto kept gruffing to let us know they were there.
The next morning the Mum asked me if I heard noise last night, so I told her what I had heard.
Apparently she usually took the daughter to work with her as she couldn't be trusted to be left alone, but the daughter had persuaded her she could be trusted and wouldn't have anyone over so she left her.
When she came home from work she found a large hole in the wall on the landing. Daughters explanation is she tripped in the night..... yeah right.
Anyway, their step dad was away and the Mum said to me 'I've got someone coming round to do an emergency repair before he gets home or she'll really be in trouble!'

I thought hang on a minute.
You trusted her, she let you down.
Her or her friends (who shouldn't have been there) punched the wall and made a hole and you are paying emergency call out fees to get it fixed before the step dad got home???
What about YOU punishing her, what about getting her to pay for the damage, what about discussing it with her step dad so there is a bit of consitent parenting here???

No, you do something bad and Mum will cover up for you as well.

I just asked my son why the Mum does the paper round still. He said its because there isn't enough time for him to do it before school.... how about getting up earlier? and there wasn't school yesterday when she peddled off whilst he played.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2007, 11:18 AM
No hope then for her or the boy is there!!! I can honestly say I'm glad my parents were as tough with me as they were, it made me a much stronger person than someone brought up in cotton wool bandages like they are. Unbelievable isn't it!
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-04-2007, 04:35 PM
The woman's an idiot.

I REALLY cant understand parents who say 'Your grounded' or any other punishment then dont stick to it, I was only grounded once when I was 16 (did some thing quite naughty I'm not going to say what ) but was grounded for a month, it was hell as it was the summer holidays and I wasnt allowed to go anywhere, I didn't even try to go to the shops at the end of the road, when they were both at work as I was to scared and I certainly remember when I was growing up when I got 'The Look' from my mum that I was pushing it I knew not to go any further at all as I'd be in the sh*t.

Did any one else's mother ever do the 'The Look' and you knew not to push it ?
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
LOL I think its every mother's duty to perfect 'The Look', I know I have.

It's usually used for talking back, being rude etc, but it always immediately stops him in his tracks and gets a 'sorry'.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Willow View Post

Oh yes My mother still has it

So do I apparently
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2007, 04:45 PM
I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not! I see it all the time. He will never know the value of money though. I remember as a youngster wanting a new pair of jeans, not any old jeans, had to be Levi's. My mum would only pay the cost of a normal pair and if I wanted the Levi's I had to find the rest of the money. I was furious at the time but went out and earned the rest of the money to have them. I babysat from the age of about 13 for the neighbours and did so til I was 16 when I went and got a proper part time job.
I was brought up to understand the value of money and am grateful for that!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Lol! Yes "That Look"!!! I know it only too well, and I have perfected it myself now and use it on the dogs - they know what it means too!!!

That's right Jackie, we had to work for the extra if we wanted something special, mind you I had to work for everything at that age!! Not only did I have a morning paper-round, but I had an evening one too plus I worked Saturday's in the greengrocer's shop, and I remember I used to have to leave all my friends on the beach in the afternoons, whilst muggins here went off to do my paper-round It all paid off in the end though, I've never been afraid of hard work and the benefits that go with it too!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >