View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2005, 08:58 PM
a woman in my school was interested in max when we got him and she said to me oh how much was he and i told her and she said she wouldnt pay that for a dog. she said to me i am going to go to a rescue centre as i only have to pay £60 thn. i was sure no rescue centre would giver her a dog as she is very prim and proper yes she has a big beautiful house but she doesnt look like a welly or dog hair person and her kids are as stiff as can be. well lo and behold she has a 2yr lab that is on its 3rd home! a lovely little girl but the woman is already struggling and she gloated to me how cheap she was!!
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Can I ask if Breeders who are affilated with Breed rescue if they have ever assisted the Rescue, i.e Transport/HC or anything?

yvonne
mr.leo
Dogsey Senior

20-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by finnigan31
If for any reason the people who rescue dogs cannot keep the dog it is rehomed again through the rescue, Very few breeders will do that unless it benefits them i.e can be bred, most are not interested, so please as much as we would like to believe all breeders only want whats best sadly this is very far from the truth
yvonne
I can say that the Leonberger breeders in the uk will all take back their own dogs no matter what the reasons.

If only more breeders of differant breeds would do the same.

The Leon breeders who do take thier dogs back are supported by the club untill another home can be found for them. Alot of breeders keep the the returned dogs themselves.

With the club/breeders acting in this way stops the breed from being put in to normal rescue centers and risk of x breeding reduced.
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2005, 06:38 PM
That is fantastic, pity boxers don`t get the same commitment from the breeders who breed them,
yvonne
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 06:54 PM
can anyone please explain to me what happens in a homecheck from a rescue? what sort of things are checked?

i ask this because my bf's parents got a 1 yr old yorkie from a rescue, and i kno what they r like, they tidied up the house and garden b4 the homechecker came (usually the house is a state and unfit for a dog that will chew things).
anyway, they are unsuitable to have a dog, but were given the yorki, who inevitably had to be rehomed because they couldnt handle him and from what i could see had absolutely no idea how to look after a dog.

so tell me, are these homechecks helpful?

i mean, obv they turn off most of the bad owners, but i still see bad owners getting dogs from rescues!
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2005, 06:54 PM
I agree 100% with yvonne.

I think Leonberger kennels should be proud of themselfs. What a wonderfull job they do!!!!
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Jenny nothing is foolproof,when i do a home check Im not there to see how tidy the house,(as long as it is`nt a dump if it is a dump it would be no) I want to know if the people have an understanding of the "Rescue" process and all it entails, they would need to know about the breed, what they can offer a rescue dog, can they prove this i.e vet refs,can they afford a rescue dog?, what would they do if things did`nt work out as they had hoped and they wanted to rehome the dog, we don`t accept "oh we would never do that", they need to understand things don`t always go to plan.
We will do spot checks, people know this but like I said nothing is fool proof and occassionally things go wrong. yvonne

Jenny why did`nt you tell the rescue place the family were not suitable?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2005, 08:28 PM
i wasnt about when they got the dog, but i persuaded them to rehome him as he wasnt being looked after properly.

but this is the second rescue that theyve had and i cant see how they managed it,
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Was it a breed rescue or a Rescue Centre?

I can only say they must be very good liars?
yvonne
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2005, 08:37 PM
I like getting home checked I always make a new friend out of the checker. lol

The poor checker doesnt get away for at least 3 hours.
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »