View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Somebody at work said to me they thought about me when they heard about the two rotties at the weekend!

All because I have a dobermann - that kind of ignorance is all to prevalent in society today and as I pointed out I wouldn't have left my yorkshire terrier with a child and certainly don't leave Suki with children. Any dog is capable of harming them - not just big dogs!!!!!!
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 10:14 PM
I cannot get my head round, how these dogs managed to get hold of these children!why were the dogs and children not being supervised.....Like all of you, my dogs love kids, but would never leave them alone with my dogs...
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 11:03 PM
im shocked at rotties doing this as its so unlike them, another rottie attacked a famous ex rugby player the other day also

stupid stupid owners are sending the rottie to its death ...

very sad as they are a wonderful breed
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 06:49 AM
When I was about 10, and a silly youngster I have to add, our family wire fox terrier attacked me. I was left with a lot of bruising to my legs, pretty bad stuff actually.

Luckily I was old/big enough to defend myself and take myself away from the situation after a couple of minutes, but it did take that long.

Mum and dad asked me what had happened. I told them straight that I had been teasing the dog (not nastily I should add).

Please, before you say, I know I had been stupid: I was young and daft and I feel a bit embarrassed mentioning it here.

The reason that I have raised this, and the point I am trying to make is, there was no way mum and dad were going to have Buster PTS because they, and I, knew I had overstepped the mark with him. We never had any problems after that, he was a good dog but needed supervision and respect, like all dogs. A good lesson for me, it was, from the dog and my parents.
muttsrus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-09-2006, 07:18 AM
some people train their dogs, and i think some owners need training themselves, i have had a rottie and sadly he was pts due to a tumour only about 5 weeks ago, he was such a softy,he was around when our granddaughter was born, and his attidude changed when ever she visited, he would lie where ever she was, if she cried, he would be there looking into the pram to make sure we where treating her correct, when she started to crawl he was there beside her watching the others in the pack did not get to close to her, he lay there while she clambered over him and inspected his ears and teeth etc, he never ever wanted to go upstairs when we went to bed but when she was hear, outside her bedroom door he would lay, he greeted everyone with a grin from ear to ear his stump wagged endlessly, but when out walking with my grandaughter a stranger was allowed to aproach but he would always be between my grandaughter and the stranger until told he or she is ok and then would sit beside the buggy where our little one could hold his ear, my husband has become disabled and my rottie was invalubale to him, he would bring him the post, tv remote, telephone,open doors and close doors for him, he would go up to the shops with my OH and he would press the pelican light button for them to cross the road, he would take off my OH coat and take off gloves and socks and trousers, he had just started to learn to undo shoe laces, he was a registered pat dog, and we all miss him, i just wanted to let people know that some of us our good rottie owners , and i hope that when i get my next rottie he or she will be another ambassador for the breed.
carolann
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by muttsrus View Post
some people train their dogs, and i think some owners need training themselves, i have had a rottie and sadly he was pts due to a tumour only about 5 weeks ago, he was such a softy,he was around when our granddaughter was born, and his attidude changed when ever she visited, he would lie where ever she was, if she cried, he would be there looking into the pram to make sure we where treating her correct, when she started to crawl he was there beside her watching the others in the pack did not get to close to her, he lay there while she clambered over him and inspected his ears and teeth etc, he never ever wanted to go upstairs when we went to bed but when she was hear, outside her bedroom door he would lay, he greeted everyone with a grin from ear to ear his stump wagged endlessly, but when out walking with my grandaughter a stranger was allowed to aproach but he would always be between my grandaughter and the stranger until told he or she is ok and then would sit beside the buggy where our little one could hold his ear, my husband has become disabled and my rottie was invalubale to him, he would bring him the post, tv remote, telephone,open doors and close doors for him, he would go up to the shops with my OH and he would press the pelican light button for them to cross the road, he would take off my OH coat and take off gloves and socks and trousers, he had just started to learn to undo shoe laces, he was a registered pat dog, and we all miss him, i just wanted to let people know that some of us our good rottie owners , and i hope that when i get my next rottie he or she will be another ambassador for the breed.
carolann
Sorry to hear about your loss. Thats a great story, he sounded like a great dog. Shame the media choose to ignore such.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Katrina342 View Post
When I was about 10, and a silly youngster I have to add, our family wire fox terrier attacked me. I was left with a lot of bruising to my legs, pretty bad stuff actually.

Luckily I was old/big enough to defend myself and take myself away from the situation after a couple of minutes, but it did take that long.

Mum and dad asked me what had happened. I told them straight that I had been teasing the dog (not nastily I should add).

Please, before you say, I know I had been stupid: I was young and daft and I feel a bit embarrassed mentioning it here.

The reason that I have raised this, and the point I am trying to make is, there was no way mum and dad were going to have Buster PTS because they, and I, knew I had overstepped the mark with him. We never had any problems after that, he was a good dog but needed supervision and respect, like all dogs. A good lesson for me, it was, from the dog and my parents.

how honest of you
I dont think people will be angry about it! you have just proved that yes children do silly things
Its what children do you learned (the hard way) from it and prob went on to see the signs of a dog being annoyed well before an attack. I ALSO DID IT oooh said it now I had been silly enough to try and pull a family members dog out from under the bed (which he had scrammbled under to get some peace from me!) and by the front legs no less the shame of it. All I received was a nip to my hand (what a dog ) I could have had my face ripped off. when i think back I was lucky he was a saint of a dog. I just did not know any better at that time
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 12:44 PM
This is the same story, but an update:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...es/5383928.stm

On the news today, a comment by a neighbour said that the dog was always on a lead when it was out, and that it always seemed a docile dog.

The news report says the dog was tethered...I wonder how it got to the lad, or was the lad on their property?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Media hype again - they've gone to great lengths to eek out an attack like this coz it's a scoop at the moment after the recent attack. There will be more to come I'm afraid, day in, day out now You know what these journalists are like nowadays! Grrrrrrrrrrrr I'm very angry! This attack is only about 8 miles from where I live too! It's gonna be plastered all over the front page of our local newspaper I expect - I'll let you know on that one!
Completely agree Helen. How depressing for all dog owners, but especially owners of Rotties, who will take the heat at the moment.

I do hope the little lad makes a full recovery.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Terrible as this is,but where the heck are the adults when these attacks are taking place??? Babys are not capable of looking after themselves so why were these dogs (breed is irrelevant) allowed to be alone with the baby???

As much as i love Vegas-he is still only a dog with canine desires and i wouldnt leave him alone with a child.
My first word too,there was a sign outside the house saying dogs loose no unwanted visitors which implicates the dog is more a guard dog than a Family pet,so why wasn't the dog somewhere else when this Child was on the premises,they say it is his Grandmothers dog,I wouldn't leave my 9 & 4yr Grandchildren on their own with Ollie.
Once again through Owners stupidity a Child is serioulsy hurt and another dog destroyed,they should be stopped from owning animals.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3