View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2006, 03:36 PM
yes but that photo of the pitbull - he has cropped ears - they arent allowed to crop here so they do end up looking more like staffs

i often get asked if bruno is a pitbull purely cos he is a little longer legged than the short "show " staffs you see a lot of.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Honest...I know a lot of people can makle it up and people get ripped off, but how can you tell if it's a cross??? The ones people say are 'just' staffi crosses, surely it's impossible to tell without a DNA test anyway?
I saw a pitbull today, they do look different.
There ARE a lot of them around and a lot of crosses around...this aspect of the DDA is just about impossible to police.
bullbreedlover
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2006, 08:38 PM
hi dont know if i am of any help but my husband work for the index of exempted breeds, people often get told that pit bulls and pit bull crosses are legal to own if they are neutered/spayed, muzzeled at all times whilst out walking, not to be walked by anyone under the age of 16, insured and registered with the index of exempted breeds, where u would recieve a certificate of exemption. this is all totally untrue. pit bulls and crosses are illegal to own and will not be made legal for the forseeable forture. the certificate of exemption was availble to ppl who owned pit bulls or pit crosses before they were placed on dda and apparently the records show that all the dogs with the certificate are deseased. i dont want to put a downer on things but i thought i had better say something. no1 is blind or stupid and we all know that there are pit bulls in the country, alot are not real but probably somewhere along the lines do have part pit in them. i will put my hands up and admit i am a huge pit bull fan, i own an american staff which is the closest legal dog i could own to a pit bull. im not preaching to u not to own one but so u know if u got one and were caught with it, not only will u be prosecuted but the dog will be destroyed. i dont know about u but i couldnt live with a dogs death on my concience knowing it was because of my ignorance. i hope this helps any questions u may have. if u would like a contact number for the index of exempted breeds to clarify anything i have said please feel free to ask. thanx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2006, 08:44 PM
You know, I just thought...maybe not..maybe it wasn't and checked some pics etc on the web...I definitely saw a full on pit bull today...
bullbreedlover
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2006, 08:48 PM
so many around, main areas are birmingham, london and manchester. just have to pray they are in good homes, and not owned for fighting, status and to make people look good
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2006, 08:49 PM
It was happy with it's football...
bullbreedlover
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2006, 08:55 PM
when i was growing up i lived in texas, we had 3 pit bulls and they were the most loving and caring dogs. i loved them very much
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by bullbreedlover View Post
when i was growing up i lived in texas, we had 3 pit bulls and they were the most loving and caring dogs. i loved them very much
no doubt - they are fantastic dogs but why take the chance of possibly losing your beloved pet by buying one when you know they are illegal.

Even if I did own a pitbull I certainly wouldnt admit to it being one - and wouldnt boast about it - it would be classed as staffie - I just dont understand folk who go on about "oh yeh my dogs got a bit of pit in it " blah blah blah - they are fools to admit that in this country.

I adore bull breeds but 9/10 times alot of these dogs are in the wrong hands as people who admit to owning them openly are the wrong kind of owners as they are puitting their dogs lives at risk.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2006, 05:55 AM
My neighbour has a 6 month old puppy. When his girlfriend bought it, they were told he is a Staffie. When they looked at his reg papers, well after they bought him, it turns out that he has Pit Bull in his "pedigree". The papers are Dog Lovers Registration Club, not KC. John openly tells people this and also thinks it's ok to breed a Pit Bull with a Staffie to make it legal. Bailey is lovely but is huge at 6 months old. His paws are about the size of a Lab's, and his ears are almost as big as my hands. He is very chunky and is obviously going to be a big dog. I've tried to explain to John about the DDA, but he just doesn't seem to realise what could happen as he " innocently" tells people that Bailey is part Pit Bull. Also, He just lets the pup out into the garden unsupervised, and Bailey has already escaped several times. He is quite dominant towards Johns old dog, and the couple of times he has managed to get into my garden, he just continually tries to hump Missy. To me, this is an out of control dog waiting to happen but I don't know what to do about it. What's he going to be like when he is sexually mature ? All I can do to keep him out of my garden just now is build a fence like Fort Knox:smt009. This is worrying as this pup is only 6 months and growing fast :smt017 !
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Missysmum View Post
He just lets the pup out into the garden unsupervised, and Bailey has already escaped several times. . This is worrying as this pup is only 6 months and growing fast :smt017 !
letting this pup out unsupervised in a garden where it is obviously easy for it to escape is an example of the sort of irresponsible owner that should never be allowed to have a potentially aggressive dog.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >