View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 11:27 AM
A dollop of margarine a day works wonders.
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by ShaynLola
Hope it works for you but it can't do any harm to give it a go as the fish oils are of benefit to joints/brain function anyway (although I'm not convinced about the brain function bit if Lola is anything to go by )
Awww .... Bless her!

Thank you once again ..... Like you say it won't do any harm if it doesn't do any good!
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by madmare
A dollop of margarine a day works wonders.
Now thats a new one on me

Just in the food or on its own (Seth would eat it on its own! )
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Whichever way you like. We used to give it to our Rough Collies to help improve the coat and keep it good for shows.
My friend does the same for her labs and I know many breeders and show people use it.
Works from inside out
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Would a daily dose of Sunflower oil have the same effect madmare? :smt017 :smt115
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Hi
Just to add to the debate ( ) check out http://www.holisticpethealth.co.uk/skin_problems.htm
I've always thought that skin problems were more likely to be caused by diet than anything (assuming no parasites are present, of course!) as dogs do seem to excrete through the skin (you know that 'doggy' smell that some have - it's got to come from somewhere!)
I'm not convinced that adding stuff to a diet is the correct way of tackling flaky or itchy skin, that's just treating the symptoms rather than the cause - try an exclusion diet and see if it makes a difference, it could be just one ingredient in the diet causing a problem.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Havn't a clue about sunflower oil I'm afraid, learn't about the dollop af margarine over 30 yrs ago and I know its widely used today, to improve skin and coat condition.
However if your dog is really itchy it could be down to food intolerance. I have one that scratched like mad and luckily I had done dog and cat nutrition course a few years back now and immeadiatly put him on a wheat/gluten free diet that stopped the itching, but if he finds a bit of bread out on a walk or gets hold of a treat thats not wheat/gluten free he will scratch again for a few hours till its out of his system.

Bev
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by madmare
Whichever way you like. We used to give it to our Rough Collies to help improve the coat and keep it good for shows.
My friend does the same for her labs and I know many breeders and show people use it.
Works from inside out

I totally second that :smt023 I have used it for years also, it really does help improve the coat and skin.
My vets past and present have all agreed with how much it helps, **so long as a dog doesnt have applicable food intollerances or any health reason which would make it innapropriate to use of course

**[ general disclaimer ]
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2006, 11:10 PM
I add an evening primrose oil capsule to my little girls food every other day .. she has no allergies or intolerances ( to my knowledge) it is just to add shine and condition her coat & skin..

Rachel
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2006, 09:30 AM
My jack russell had some dandruff/flaky skin on her back- I gave her a half tsp of Salmopet pure salmon oil every day- within a week the dandruff was gone- every now and then it creeps back and and I give her some for a few days- it works every time
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >