View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2004, 02:02 PM
So you think this is a step in the direction of an all out ban, this is what I am trying to find out, because I really dont think it is.

Whilst I appreciate the time & care it took to nurse these people what I am trying to point out is that the government will always make too much money on the back of cigarette sales completley.

Some people argue that all the money goes to caring for people with smoke related ilnesses, what I am saying is that yes some money does but only a small amount compared to what they make on the sale of fags................so if its not a step to an all out ban what do you think of that idea?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2004, 02:34 PM
When people talk of the cost of caring for these people they only count the hospital costs - a person nursed at home has to have a carer (that's 2 people not contributing to the economy) the nurses who have to come out and see the patients, the oxygen supplies and drugs. The hospice care for a rest for the carer (paid for by charity) the number of days off other members of the family have to take to help out (all non productive for the community) not to mention the benefits being paid to the patient (rent/rates rebates and £200+ in cash every week). The Red cross supply wheel chairs and lifts - all these people need to be paid for. You may even find in many cases the carer has to claim benefit too if they are unable to work and care for the patient.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2004, 02:47 PM
Okay I get but even including that I think you would find they still make a mint out of cigarette sales after deducting the cost of all types of care for those suffering.....otherwise they wouldnt hesitate to ban it.......what about my original question Wiggle but you still never answered it

Take Care
Laura
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Sorry got carried away forgot to answer your question ! Is it the first step before a ban ? I think the Scots are being used as a test to see if an all out ban could work ! I think if the legislation goes through without too much fuss and is not to difficult to work we in the rest of the UK will be joining you soon and when we do the Scots will find themselves banned from smoking altogether hich if it works will then be throughout the UK. Much easier to use the Scottish people to test the waters than to upset the English - we are much too close to parliament to risk upsetting us
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by wiggle
Sorry got carried away forgot to answer your question ! Is it the first step before a ban ? I think the Scots are being used as a test to see if an all out ban could work ! I think if the legislation goes through without too much fuss and is not to difficult to work we in the rest of the UK will be joining you soon and when we do the Scots will find themselves banned from smoking altogether hich if it works will then be throughout the UK. Much easier to use the Scottish people to test the waters than to upset the English - we are much too close to parliament to risk upsetting us
Your right there - remember poll tax lol.
liberty
Dogsey Senior

11-11-2004, 11:33 PM
What a shame we can't live and let live a little more; and have a lirtle respect for each other. I chose to smoke and consider myself considerate.

Looks like the 'me, me, me,' society strike again

libs
G30ff
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Here here... @ libs

I don't smoke, but I do hate all the smoker bashing...

The government will never ban smoking, they would have to increase our taxes too much to compensate for the amout they get from tobacco sales....

Geoff
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by liberty
What a shame we can't live and let live a little more; and have a lirtle respect for each other. I chose to smoke and consider myself considerate.

Looks like the 'me, me, me,' society strike again

libs
Yes Libs, you are, and I can vouch for that

I don't smoke and I don't nag others who do. They respect my opinions, as I respect thiers.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2004, 10:34 AM
It's just a shame the smoke doesn't have the same respect and affects non smokers as well
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Unfortunatly Wiggle, that can be said for a lot of things these days.
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »