View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2004, 02:08 PM
I'd hate to think what my hubby would do to an intruder if caught, hubby has 12 years of Karate under his belt and would probably put the persons head through a wall !!

I just don't understand the law and its set of rules for one and a different set for another

And what about that poor guy that got killed by a burglar recently, I'm not sure if they caught the guy yet but if they do I wonder how long he'll get in prison - should be life I say but it'll only be a couple of years

Whizgirl - I'm very sorry to hear what happened to your family and the hell you must of went through, all i can say is as a family unit you must all be very strong.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-10-2004, 04:47 PM
I keep a .22 air rifle by my bedroom door, and a supply of 19-grain pellets - not that I'm likely ever to need it! If I do get an intruder, I'm not going to ask him whether he has come to harm or steal, I'm going to donate one of the pellets to his genitalia. This is unlikely to do much harm, but it's gonna HURT!

There appears to be a difference in what is considered "reasonable force", depending on where exactly you live as regards a police station - more force being permissible if there's no chance of a copper tirning up in short order. Unfortunately, they never turn up in short order because they are undermanned, but the law doesn't seem to recognise this. Because I live in the middle of nowhere, I'd have a better chance of getting away with the pellet donation, but I wouldn't like to bet on it!

A bit of official clarity would be very welcome!

Snorri
stonedagen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Its a mad country we live in now, that bloke you were on about that shot that lad.....well sorry but i dont blame him! Good on him i say! I dont think anyone would think twice about defending their property or family, the thought of the fact you will then get sued afterwards by the burglar wouldnt enter your head at the time?!! What worries me more about someone breaking in is pepper, if she bit someone or worse that had broken in to rob or attack one of us, then there is a major possibility she would have to be put down!! As any dog would. Im only saying pepper because kiera wouldnt do anything to anyone.... well apart from slobber someone to death maybe!!! That is a more frightening senario for me!
mr.leo
Dogsey Senior

31-10-2004, 03:08 AM
Y ou should be allowed to defend your property from intruders and not be prosecuted for it the law is a ass on things like this.

To show self-defence you must:

1. Show that you reasonably fear immediate attack.

2. Show that you had no alternative avenue of escaping the attack. If you can, you must run away.

3. Your response must be proportionate to the threat. If someone threatens you with a balloon, you may not respond with a knife. If your own life is not under threat you cannot threaten somebody else's life.

Radio 4 had a poll on suggestions what law that you would like to see put onto the statue books and the winner was

* 1st place:
Law 5: The proposal to authorise homeowners to use any means to defend their home from intruders:
37% of the vote.
protectionk9uk
New Member!

04-11-2004, 07:20 PM
There can't be many people who think Tony Martin would still be here if he had met 3 burglars whilst unarmed - especially if they thought he had money hidden. There is a saying "Its better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6" and we should bare it in mind. If you are attacked or your home is broken into and you stop to worry about the consequences of protecting yourself/your property then that delay could cost you your life.
A civilised country would declare that once someone has broken the law by attacking you or breaking into your home they then lose their rights - after all they wouldn't have been injured otherwise would they ?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2004, 09:20 PM
I am afraid if someone broke in here I would not stop to think, I live alone so it would be clobber them with the rolling pin and think about it later A friend of mine lived on the straights at Anglesey during the war and was convinced the germans would come . By the door she kept pepper to throw in their eyes,a sheet to throw over them,a rope to tie them up,rolling pin to clobber them and a sword to run them through she believed in being thorough
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2004, 09:21 PM
good for her Mini !! (nice to see you by the way )
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3