Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TJCeeJay
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-02-2016, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Moyra View Post
Have you checked she hasn't already had her pups? Maybe lost them? She is certainly beautiful. Hope she is going to be ok.
Yup! Checked her spot in the bunkhouse, and where I found her yesterday under some trees; and took a look in the pile of debris with my million candle power spotlight. Couldn't see r hear any pups.

Found lots of poop though! lol! Looks like she's enjoying a seafood buffet. Lots of mussel and limpet shell bits in the scat. It looks healthy. Solid, no funny color, not filled with grass. Looks like she's doing good!

And yeah, she's a lovely lass!

Cheers!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-02-2016, 10:52 AM
Don't rely on her not looking pregnant for her to be pregnant. Even my vet didn't think my Mabs was pregnant, then he felt her and all of a sudden we were whisked off for a scan, and there they were, this was at 5 weeks, she had put on next to nothing in weight either.
Anyway time will tell. I wonder why she is alone, keeps bugging me, but anyway she is stunningly beautiful
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2016, 11:13 AM
She is so beautiful, lucky you to be so close to such a gorgeous animal.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-02-2016, 06:19 PM
What a privilege to have a wolf share your space Cory
TJCeeJay
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-02-2016, 06:51 PM
Thanks for kind words, and good advice!

And well, she just went into Oestrus last evening. Bud started freaking out, jamming his head out the cat door, whining and begging to go out, and endlessly salivating. So I'm pretty sure she's in heat now. (Oh joy!)

Anyhoo, will keep ya's posted with any new news!

Cheers!

Cory
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-02-2016, 06:56 PM
Oooooh nooooo I've got 5 of them here all with PMT, the air is thick with hormones, luckily no Daddy dog around to encourage them Best of luck. She's quite late in the year really, has it been really cold up there with a late Spring
TJCeeJay
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-02-2016, 08:24 PM
Hi TW! Not a late spring at all. Actually, quite the reverse! Only had about 6 inches of snow all winter; and that's been gone for almost a month already. It's been +5 to +9 for the last month. The Crocus', Daffodils, and Day Lillies have begun sprouting! And the Crocus leaves are already 3 or 4 inches tall!

Not sure if she really is late. From what info I could find on the North Coast, outer islands wolves, (distinct sub-species of the mainland BC Coastal Wolves) the female's Oestrus cycles usually are late January / early February. So she's right on schedule. Probably to coincide the pups birth with the Herring egg laying. (Early to late April / early May.) Herring roe is a major springtime food supply for Coastal Wolves. Our island wolves actually get up to 90% of their diet from the sea.

Here's a neat National Geographic article about about the wolves, featuring Ian McAllister, a good friend of mine who is the co-founder of Pacific Wild, and a key player in the recent preservation of 80% of BC's North Coast from commercial resource extraction.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...s/mcgrath-text

A photo essay on the wolves, by Ian, and another wildlife photographer.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...n-lake-670.jpg

And her's a link to Pacific Wild, for those whom are interested.

http://pacificwild.org/

Cheers!

Oops! Almost forgot to add the most recent video of her!

Here she is!

Cheerio!
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2016, 09:06 PM
she is so so so lovely!!!!!!!!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-02-2016, 09:48 PM
Ah right, the wolves I am used to tend to mate around late November/early December, so was expecting her to be the same, as you say she will time herself so as to give her babies the best chance in life, and that means them being born to coincide with the herring cycle in your area.
Animals are amazing aren't they, we humans are just so ill equipped to survive on our own without technology and all the trappings of modern day life. Yet here is Mrs Coastal Wolf, ready to bring new life into her world and look after them and send them out into the world all on her own, she has even found a suitable person to hunt for her (you)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2016, 11:22 AM
Oh wow - she is so beautiful!

Sadly, I think she looks tucked up and rather sick looking I hope she managed to find her pack and survived okay.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >