View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2013, 10:45 PM
When we had our cat Diesel she used to wear a flea collar when she used to go out all the time, then I changed to front line. With Rosie I used Advocate from a pharmacy, same ingredients as frontline but cheaper, then a local natural shop stated selling a shampoo made locally which had ingredients in it to keep fleas away. Fantastic stuff, doesn't irritate Rosie, like another dog shampoo did. She has never had fleas and loves rooting through trees and bushes
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Fleas can come into your home via your [or visitors'] shoes and clothes.

If you want to check if there are fleas in your home, put on a pair of white socks and walk around, on carpets, rugs, or wooden floors. If there are fleas in your home they will jump onto your feet and you will see them on your socks.

Pat mentioned "owner compliance" - whatever it is you use you have to use it regularly, whether you see a flea or not. I have just Frontlined Pereg with Frontline Plus, as I do on the first of every month except for December and February, the same as I always did for Little One. And in the 16 or so years that I have been using it, neither dog "became immune" to it.

Neither did the fleas, which if they ever jumped on either dog, were killed by the Frontline within hours.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Hi I know in the early days,cats suffered and did die but they changed the formula,but what do you do if your dog is allergic to fleas and fleas dirt,do you leave it,and watch it scratching causing awful sores,and then wait to be reported to the RSPCA,when my late Afghan got the mange,she became bald in patches,and the shampoo I used perscribed by the Vet (her skin) became very leather like, and the times I had a knock on the door, i think I would rather use the flea treatment,unless you are really sure that your dog hasnt an allergy to fleas,because seeing what happens to dogs if it isnt treated and the sores that some dogs get from the Allergy it just isnt worth it.Gemini54
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2013, 09:35 AM
If you're using Frontline, it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you never use dog Frontline for cats. Dogs and cats are very different animals, and dog Frontline is horribly toxic to cats. Don't use cat Frontline for dogs, either-- I'm not sure if it's the same toxicity, but it won't be effective. If you are in any doubt whatsoever, call your vet, or any vet. They'll advise you and help you get the right stuff for your animals according to species, type and weight.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
If you're using Frontline, it is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you never use dog Frontline for cats. Dogs and cats are very different animals, and dog Frontline is horribly toxic to cats. Don't use cat Frontline for dogs, either-- I'm not sure if it's the same toxicity, but it won't be effective. If you are in any doubt whatsoever, call your vet, or any vet. They'll advise you and help you get the right stuff for your animals according to species, type and weight.
I wasnt saying use Frontline for Cats on dogs,just trying to explain,killing the fleas isnt just the reason to use this product,if your dog has an allergy to fleas and the dirt they produce,which makes them very itchy and liable to scratch causing in extreme cases really bad sores,and you cannot get anything to stop the allergy unless you get rid of the fleas,so you have to use Frontline,unless there is anything else that you can purchase that can eradicate them as well as this particular product.Gemini54
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Sorry Gemini, didn't intend to suggest that you were. I just thought it might be useful to point out the hazard. Not everyone knows!

Frontline also does a house spray you can use on carpets, floors and bedding. It is safe for both dogs and cats, but as always, ask your vet. It's what we used when we did have the flea problem-- they came from our dear old semi-feral cat-- and it sorted the fleas out right sharp. Old Dog does have a (thankfully mild) flea allergy, so a combination of the Frontline and a mild sensitive skin shampoo had him better. I don't like using harsh chemicals-- we have a wealth of critters out there that I'd rather not harm-- but fleas are decidedly unwelcome.

You are absolutely correct: once you're using it, you've got to keep it up. The best thing about it is that it kills the eggs before they can hatch, so if you're thorough, you can rid yourself of fleas inside one of their generations. I've been using it steadily for 13 years and only ever had the one problem (those French countryside fleas are NAILS). I've never heard of a dog or fleas becoming immune to it-- ours certainly aren't.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2013, 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
Sorry Gemini, didn't intend to suggest that you were. I just thought it might be useful to point out the hazard. Not everyone knows!

Frontline also does a house spray you can use on carpets, floors and bedding. It is safe for both dogs and cats, but as always, ask your vet. It's what we used when we did have the flea problem-- they came from our dear old semi-feral cat-- and it sorted the fleas out right sharp. Old Dog does have a (thankfully mild) flea allergy, so a combination of the Frontline and a mild sensitive skin shampoo had him better. I don't like using harsh chemicals-- we have a wealth of critters out there that I'd rather not harm-- but fleas are decidedly unwelcome.

You are absolutely correct: once you're using it, you've got to keep it up. The best thing about it is that it kills the eggs before they can hatch, so if you're thorough, you can rid yourself of fleas inside one of their generations. I've been using it steadily for 13 years and only ever had the one problem (those French countryside fleas are NAILS). I've never heard of a dog or fleas becoming immune to it-- ours certainly aren't.
Hi We should count ourselves lucky,that we only have very few bugs to worry our dogs,france they have rabid bats,Australia,they have ticks that paralyise dogs and cats,heart worm and if they have a drought the cane toads get into your dogs drinking bowls,and that will kill them,admittedly we now have slugs to worryabout but you think of the vaccines that other countries have to give pets.Gemini54
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Actually, rabies is well and truly on the wane in France. They've been pretty aggressive about stomping it out, so that's good news! Good thing, too: we have plenty of bats roosting in the barn and a couple of the little outbuildings. I love the bats and wouldn't ever want to drive them away. I'm more worried about adders, but have yet to encounter one.

But yes: all ours have their passports and so are vaccinated against rabies. Luckily none of them eats slugs, though I do worry about heartworm.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-10-2013, 10:20 AM
We do not have heartworm [or lungworm - could be the same thing] but we do have rabies.

Which is why Pereg has a yearly rabies shot.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3