View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Don't know how far you want to take it, but the Bishop Burton foundation degree (followed by top-up BSc) in Canine Behaviour and Training are good if you can afford the fees.

Distance learning, but you do have to attend for the block sessions for practicals
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Don't know how far you want to take it, but the Bishop Burton foundation degree (followed by top-up BSc) in Canine Behaviour and Training are good if you can afford the fees.

Distance learning, but you do have to attend for the block sessions for practicals
Hi, I have looked at that but couldn't find any tuition fees on the website, do you know the prices or know where I can find them? Or was I just blind?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Try 'phoning Marion Justice at the college. She will answer any questions you may have including fees information.

She's lovely and will be happy to chat whether you take up on it or not
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks, I'll try phoning tomorrow
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 04:52 PM
I went to Bishop Burton for the FdSc - very good course as you do practicals with your own dog as well as theory side of things.

Wys
x
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 10:34 PM
I finally made my mind up and for the start I've signed up for the ThinkDog certificate!

I'm really looking forward to it, definitely courses with more practical sides and seminars are something that are going to come later!
Thanks for everybody for your input!
Boxacrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2013, 05:52 AM
Good Luck

I just wanted you to know the other side of the coin too.
As someone who is having the help of a behaviourist for one of mine.

Qualifications were something that I did look for in a behaviourist as well as having hands-on experience.

The answer to the question Why?

Because anyone can set themselves up as a dog behaviourist/trainer, I wanted to make sure that the
person we worked with really knew their stuff and
weren't going to make the situation worse with incorrect
advice/training methods.
Prior to us signing up and getting veterinary referral to
go to the behaviourist that we liked I also went to a seminar that they held on dog behaviour to make sure
that we could get on and that their methods were the ones
that were right for our dog and ourselves.
She has over 20 years of experience with training and behavioural issues. She is also a full member of APDT and APBC

Good Luck
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Hi I thought I had found a good behavourist her adverts had lots of Assoc she belonged too,she was with us for one week,and at the end of the week,she told me that I should take a back seat,as the dog was aware of my weakness and wouldnt see me as a leader.I deliberately didnt tell her of my condition,but she felt that the dog wouldnt get any better,if it felt it had to be a leader,she never mentioned the older dog and her standing in the pack.So we decided to carry on as we were,little steps and things are approving.Gemini54
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Boxacrazy View Post
Good Luck

I just wanted you to know the other side of the coin too.
As someone who is having the help of a behaviourist for one of mine.

Qualifications were something that I did look for in a behaviourist as well as having hands-on experience.

The answer to the question Why?

Because anyone can set themselves up as a dog behaviourist/trainer, I wanted to make sure that the
person we worked with really knew their stuff and
weren't going to make the situation worse with incorrect
advice/training methods.
Prior to us signing up and getting veterinary referral to
go to the behaviourist that we liked I also went to a seminar that they held on dog behaviour to make sure
that we could get on and that their methods were the ones
that were right for our dog and ourselves.
She has over 20 years of experience with training and behavioural issues. She is also a full member of APDT and APBC

Good Luck
Hi do you mind me asking who you are using?
Boxacrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Hi do you mind me asking who you are using?
Not at all Kris Glover, she's really lovely (as are all the team) and most importantly she listened and went through all of our boys history (vets history and all information that we could give her - as our boy was returned to us at approx. 4 years old, he was bred by me).

We are progressing and we feel happy and most importantly our boy is not as stressed using her methods and advice. In her professional opinion we have one very frustrated dog. We know it's not going to be a quick fix to sort or improve the behaviours, but we are having improvement and we are happy to take things at the pace he feels happiest with.

We now have a much more relaxed boy at home
and we are working on the outside world
Basically we are reaping the rewards but you also have to be prepared to put the work in and to realise if you can't put the work in you won't necessarily get the results you want. (If we didn't have to work and could be home 24/7 we could get results much quicker)
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >