View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lollippy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-08-2005, 04:08 PM
I've had a look around the interweb, but don't seem to be able to find any scientific evidence for allowing a dog a first season before speying, does any one have any links for such evidence.

Tending to sway towards advice backed by solid research, I don't mean research by companies pushing a product or service, I would be guided by my vet, he/she's the one with current medical training and advice rather then anecdotal evidence, I agree that there may be a case for saying they are thinking of the profit from such a procedure, but perhaps niaevly, I like to think they have the animals best interests at heart.

I did see an Australian site that advocates speying at 8 weeks, the reasoning is that the organs to be roemoved are not yet formed so are easier to remove and the healing process is much quicker in a younger dog, think that may be in the extreme though.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by angela turner
Elsie ( sorry for those who didn't know her ) developed signs of pyomtra the day she died, Its sad that after the way she fought to keep going with her heart problems , A preventable illness was what finished her off.

She also had mammary Tumors. She had never been bred from so there was no benefit to her not being speyed
Angela ...I too have lost bitches with pyometra... two and almost a third..and a bitch with Mammary tumors that developed incredibly fast..added to this you have the hassle of seasons.

I would always spay bitches..ok there is a very slight risk with anaesthetic but I would rather risk that with a young healthy bitch (and I prefer to do the op at 9 months ..three months after the first season ) than go through the ordeal of losing an older much loved bitch unnecessarily and in a horrible and painful way ...
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by lollippy
I would be guided by my vet, he/she's the one with current medical training and advice
Dont always trust everything your vet tells you....

I think most people like their bitches to have a season prior to speying, to mature them.
lollippy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-08-2005, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=Gems]
I would be guided by my vet, he/she's the one with current medical training and advice[QUOTE/]

Dont always trust everything your vet tells you....

I think most people like their bitches to have a season prior to speying, to mature them.
I said guided not trust........................

Unfortunately most people haven't been to vet school or have had years of experiance in a busy practice, or are able to call on colleagues who have years of experiance for advice, most people are never going to see any like the the variations on a theme your average vet see's.

If you are going to make a statement "Dont' always trust everything your vet tells you" then it it is only right and proper you balance the statement with "Like wise a non-proffesional can only offer anecdotal advice"

I don' go to my mates with my medical problems a) becasue they're not medics and can't help except to give iffy advice and b) because they'd take the "p" out of me
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 04:38 PM
This debate is always an open one and is def down to the owner at the end of the day .I have lost a bitch with a pyo and had a bitch speyed ( just the one ) and my personal prefernce is mine to consider like all members here .................

good advice as always but its up the the owner at the end of the day to weigh up whats best or what they prefer to do
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 04:39 PM

I said guided not trust........................

If you are going to make a statement "Dont' always trust everything your vet tells you" then it it is only right and proper you balance the statement with "Like wise a non-proffesional can only offer anecdotal advice"
maybe i dont feel like being right and proper
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Vets who tell people to let a bitch have a litter at 12 months old should be shot! Most health tests such as hip scoring are done after the age of 12 months!
I had my bitch speyed at 9 months old...shes fine.You should have a bitch speyed 1/2 way between seasons....approx 12 weeks after the onset of a season
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 04:48 PM
its very much an open debate gems no one has to proper

there are pro's and cons for both side..pyo ..tumours ...and loosing a bitch under the op are all things to consider
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
its very much an open debate gems no one has to proper
I, know that Its down to the individual owner and the end of the day Theres no right and wrong answer
lollippy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Archer
Vets who tell people to let a bitch have a litter at 12 months old should be shot! Most health tests such as hip scoring are done after the age of 12 months!
I had my bitch speyed at 9 months old...shes fine.You should have a bitch speyed 1/2 way between seasons....approx 12 weeks after the onset of a season
I'm astonished that any vet would say thay, definately time to look for a new one
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »