Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Rosebud - whatever the rental laws are in Ireland, they are just that. The rental laws in Ireland.

I am very happy for you that your current rental home came fully equipped with cooker, a washing machine - perhaps even a refrigerator and freezer and a dishwasher?

But really is that the norm for rental homes? Or maybe just for temporary rental homes.

Not sure what you mean by that first sentence,,

No it is the norm for all rentals here, Malka. I think you can get unfurnished. but even there the kitchen is usually equipped.

Most rentals are fully furnished, including all appliances. Unfurnished is the minority here.

yes a freeser too although I do have my own and not had this in a rental before..

Usually kettle, toaster, microwave too

You might enjoy a web site called daft. ie rentals
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2013, 03:08 PM
^^ i think what she meant is that the norm in ireland isn't going to be the norm elsewhere.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Boom times yeah right, they come and go but property stays standing and if you own it long enough you'll see a return. There was no boom in 1973 when I bought my first house or in 79 when there were 6 month waiting lists for mortgages and yet profits were made. We've weathered 15% interest rates the lot not the current really low rates but renting will never see you living rent free which owning will if you live long enough to pay off the mortgage. At least I won't have to worry about where the rent is coming from in my old age and yes I'll be responsible for the repairs but that will still be cheaper than finding money for rent every month. Plus when I eventually turn up my toes my kids will benefit from the amount I've spent on property over the years. The returns these days may be much less but I've still encouraged both my sons to buy rather than rent.
Same old, same old...add the scost of replcing appliances etc etc etc... No contest but i have read all this on Irish forums time after time

For someone starting out with little capital also.

It is more cost effective for me to rent that to have retained any of my four houses.

And I preferred to give when the need is there rather than after my death. if you are fit and can do work yourself but I am old and disabled and having been left with a bad leak and no plumber would come out at the weekend...NB I did fix that myself but .....

I have no children of my own body, but see the world's needy babies as my own. So it was easier all round.

But then all you and I say is not really on the point of this thread is it...
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
^^ i think what she meant is that the norm in ireland isn't going to be the norm elsewhere.
Ah but I never implied it was! I thought seriously re moving to Europe or even Israel last year and this was oen reason I decided against it as I could not afford to equip a house .

Joined an ex-pat forum and this came up time after time, so I decided to stay in wet Ireland where rentals are well equipped.

Many are too luxurious for me; dishwashers and clothes driers indeed...

Not sure re the UK as I only rented there a couple of times and that was in bedsitter days anyways.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
...scary as I remember it .

I was just 15 and and found myself a live in job in a well known terrier kennel for the sum of £1 a week and as much marrow as I could eat all done to escape the clutches of my Step Mother who had decided I should stay at home as an unpaid cook housekeeper rather than to go to collage to achieve my ambition to teach.

Living alone ? A joy no one to please but yourself
part of this makes me see a kindred spirit..

For some though, it will depend how much their families have done for them at home. eg washing and cooking. The practical side can come as a shock..Sheets to be washed etc. Does make you appreciate home more..

But yes to the last.. except for the critters of course...
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2013, 05:15 PM
It was exciting but scary and a bit stressful

I was 25 and bought a flat with my then boyfriend, now husband. We were lucky in that we bought at the time before prices really shot up around us.

It was nice to be able to do whatever we wanted, decorating wise etc, new furniture but obviously an expensive time starting almost from scratch. My parents very kindly bought us a washing machine and tumble dryer and we inherited a new dishwasher from my sister (who had got a free dishwasher included in the price of having her kitchen fitted but the kitchen was too small for the dishwasher so we got that!) We were given a an old fridge and bed from Dave's family so we actually did quite well but still had to buy so much stuff; sofa, dining table, kettle, hoover, toaster, towels - the list goes on and on!!!

It was enjoyable having our own independence but when something goes wrong or needs doing - it was up to us to sort it out.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Some really interesting replies!
Personally I do still want to buy, so plan to live at home until I can afford to do so!

The thought of being able to decorate the whole place how I want to is amazing! Plus I can then (probably) get my second dog! Can't wait
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Getting your own place is awesome! I bought my first flat 20 years ago, I was broke but it didn't matter that I couldn't afford to go out much -staying in became the new going out for me! I can remember the first time I didn't have to wring the toothpaste tube out to get the last drop - it got near the bottom and I threw it away - frivolous I know but I was in charge of my own toothpaste
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by tokiayla View Post
Getting your own place is awesome! I bought my first flat 20 years ago, I was broke but it didn't matter that I couldn't afford to go out much -staying in became the new going out for me! I can remember the first time I didn't have to wring the toothpaste tube out to get the last drop - it got near the bottom and I threw it away - frivolous I know but I was in charge of my own toothpaste
Haha! That's like me in that I get excited thinking about silly things....... for example, bedside tables! My bed is built in and my room is small, so never had a bedside table!! But when I move out I can get matching ones!!

I rarely go out as it is, I don't drink or smoke... much rather be at home/out with the dog! Lol.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3