Female 

25-08-2005, 01:17 PM
I didnt either but it's a great idea
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by scottish boxer
yup I am a donor, also you can get donor cards from your vet so that you can save an animal suffering after your death by using skin to test perfumes etc I did this a long, long time ago animals have given me so much pleasure if I can repay it this way why not ,everyone thinks I am nuts lol as the card says body to be given to animal research ,sometimes you are not suitable for human reseach but still ok for animals

thats a great idea...id love to do that...where do you register for that?
scotbun1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 03:12 PM
I remember when I went to give blood for the first time there was 5 of us and we'd all turned 18. We were really excited about it. I was first to give a samlpe to be checked before you give blood. Iwas called by the nurse although I was scared I was pleased with myself. The nurse said the doctor would like a word with you. Well when I went into to see the doc he asked how I was feeling so I said a wee bit scared but ok. I will never forget his words to me. He Said " Tracie you've come to give blood but I seriously think you need to get some you're very anaemic and I want you admitted immediately" I was gobsmacked. As all my friends left and went to pub I was admitted for a blood transfusion. I can laugh about it now but it wasn't so funny when it happened. Yes i'm an organ donor.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by scotbun1
I remember when I went to give blood for the first time there was 5 of us and we'd all turned 18. We were really excited about it. I was first to give a samlpe to be checked before you give blood. Iwas called by the nurse although I was scared I was pleased with myself. The nurse said the doctor would like a word with you. Well when I went into to see the doc he asked how I was feeling so I said a wee bit scared but ok. I will never forget his words to me. He Said " Tracie you've come to give blood but I seriously think you need to get some you're very anaemic and I want you admitted immediately" I was gobsmacked. As all my friends left and went to pub I was admitted for a blood transfusion. I can laugh about it now but it wasn't so funny when it happened. Yes i'm an organ donor.
I thought that type of thing only happened to me, You go in to give and come out needing!

I used to give blood until I went on to tablets to treat my diabetes, then had to stop. In total I gave 12 pints, I was nervous everytime I went in.

I am also registered as a donor too, but I didn't think they would take any thing off us diabetics. You learn something everyday.

Ian
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 04:49 PM
hi

yes I give blood every six months and am registerd as a blood donor - I used to have on my old car that they could have everythig apart from my corneas but changed that when I got my new driving license as just thought it was daft - if they are picking apart my body for the rest of my organs they may aswell take my corneas too - after all they just get eaten by the beasties in the ground otherwise - i firmly beleive once you are dead you are dead and if I can help someone else live then definetly would want to do that...

didnt know about the giving body to animal research though !!

dani
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 06:48 PM
i am a registered organ donor,i tried to give blood but because i take painkillers and am having treatment from the hospital they wouldn't touch mealso diesel is a canine blood donor and i am going to register delaney in the not to distant future
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by naomicavaliers
I am a diabetic so I can not give blood, but I am registered as an organ donor. I always thought that I could not be a donor with having diabetes but after talking to the donor team that was getting people to sign up as organ donors they told me that my diabetes does not stop me being a donor so know I am down as donating every thing apart from my eyes. I can not donate them as I have had to have lazer surgery on them numerous times to prevent me from going blind.
Now I was told the opposite, because I've been insulin dependant diabetic for 34 years they said they wouldn't be able to use my liver or kidneys, so far my eyes are ok which they were amazed at!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm neither a blood or organ donor. I'm not allowed to give blood due to epilepsy
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm a registered blood and organ donor. I have a rare blood group (3% of the UK population) so if I can help one person, then I'm happy.

To give someone life after my death is something I strongly believe in.
naomicavaliers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers
Now I was told the opposite, because I've been insulin dependant diabetic for 34 years they said they wouldn't be able to use my liver or kidneys, so far my eyes are ok which they were amazed at!
I have been insulin dependent for 28years and thay said they can use my kidneys and liver as I have had normal results for my yearly bood tests to check how they are working. I started with Diabetic retinopothy a few years ago and it has been caused by pegnancy and pregnancy hormones. I am pleased for you that your eyes are ok as lazer surgery is not nice but at least because of it I can still see.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >