Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brandonleo
New Member!
Male 

18-10-2012, 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I can say that all my Christmas shopping is done and always is by September. Just got to write cards.
How do you do it? I love giving presents, I just never know what to get for people! I spend way too much time browsing in stores
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Originally Posted by brandonleo View Post
How do you do it? I love giving presents, I just never know what to get for people! I spend way too much time browsing in stores
I loathe shopping, I loathe shopping at Christmas even more.

I tend to buy presents throughout the year, as I see something I think will be "just perfect" I buy it.

I do the same for Birthdays and especially cards. Sometimes I select cards years in advance.

I buy all my Christmas Cards in the January Sale at my local independent retailer, very high quality but half the price.

I think I have enough at the moment for several years ahead.

I HATE cheap, tacky cards and would rather not send/receive them.

I love finding the EXACT right presents and I am often complimented on my originality and suitability, I do not buy "any old thing" just to provide a present.

Wrapping them is my favourite occupation. I put a lot of care and attention to the tissue/paper/bag/gift card.

As I go to the shops very infrequently I have to make the most of the time I am there.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 06:41 AM
The 'Turkey and Tinsel' weekends have started in the hotels so I've seen quite a few with the decorations up.

Next month will see the houses start to light up.

I love Christmas, or should I say, I love the run up to Christmas. The day itself is usually a let down these days now that the kids are all grown up and the grandkids live a hundred miles away. Boxing Day is lovely though (when it doesn't snow) because my lad brings them over for Grandma's Christmas with them

I'm told the carol service on the village green last year was much better than in previous years so if the pavements aren't slippy, we'll be going down and belting out the carols with the best of 'em.

I'm not particularly religious, but do love the peace and goodwill that Christmas symbolises. A lovely time to brighten up miserable winters.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by coventrycatfish View Post
I agree with this, but I am definitely the Grinch. Christmas gets on my nerves these days and I find that people don't understand when you say you just want to opt out of it.
I have to say christmas is nothing but a worry to me financially so I don't enjoy it and like you would quite easily opt out of it.
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
How stupid! Why would anyone do that?!

Helen
I remember last year I thought the same, until I found out that a family put their decorations up very early as a family member wasn't going to last until Christmas. They had a terminal illness.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 02:28 PM
I love Christmas - just not this early! I'm another who thinks decorations and such shouldn't be up until at least December 1st. It's not special if it's half the year!
As for presents, I'm about 1/2 way done and need to be fully finished asap as I will be having my baby just before Christmas and don't want to think about shopping then! Also, we have the family coming over so I'm hoping to get the decorations up and ready early December, again so I don't have to after giving birth!
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2012, 03:44 PM
I LOVE christmas but want to enjoy halloween, bonfire and thanksgiving first!
Although, i am quite depressed already about christmas as my husband is threatning that we can't have a proper christmas tree this year because of our new puppy Am i being stupid in thinking that by that time she will be nearly 6 months old and never left unsupervised in the room with it so it will be ok?!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Working in retail pretty much ruins everything about Christmas. Ordering starts in the spring, planning for display starts at the end of August and everything is on display come October 1st. So by the time the January sales come around, you have done Christmas for about 5 months of the year. Now THAT is miserable!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Dobionekenobi View Post
I LOVE christmas but want to enjoy halloween, bonfire and thanksgiving first!
Although, i am quite depressed already about christmas as my husband is threatning that we can't have a proper christmas tree this year because of our new puppy Am i being stupid in thinking that by that time she will be nearly 6 months old and never left unsupervised in the room with it so it will be ok?!
My very boisterous dog was about 7 months old on her first Christmas. We thought her + tree would equal disaster but she actually completely ignored it.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3