View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Thinking of you and Rupert. What a worrying time for you, and I hope that things can be stabilised.
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2011, 07:02 PM
So sorry to hear this sending lots of positive vibes for Rupert xx
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Thinking of you and Rupert today. Hope the second drip helps. Have you had his blood results back yet? Any further news? Hoping to hear something positive.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the good thoughts everyone, they're much appreciated. We had his blood results back yesterday, the vets we use does them on site. She said although the levels of urea and something else are elevated they're on the lower end of it.

He's been back on the drip for another 2 hours today and since last night has been pretty much back to his normal self. He's eating, showing interest while out on walks and is back to cuddling up to us at any given opportunity. We go back for more bloodwork in a couple of weeks and obviously will go back before that if he takes a turn for the worse again.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Thanks for the good thoughts everyone, they're much appreciated. We had his blood results back yesterday, the vets we use does them on site. She said although the levels of urea and something else are elevated they're on the lower end of it.

He's been back on the drip for another 2 hours today and since last night has been pretty much back to his normal self. He's eating, showing interest while out on walks and is back to cuddling up to us at any given opportunity. We go back for more bloodwork in a couple of weeks and obviously will go back before that if he takes a turn for the worse again.
Hi Sarah, is the 'something else' creatinine .
At the low end is good news
There is something called the BUN test, there is lots of information on the internet explaining it all.

Millie's levels were really high and days on a drip bought little improvement. She wouldn't eat and vomited back anything I could tempt her to eat. She was wasting away before my eyes

I think Rupert has a different kind of kidney failure to Millie's and there are things which can be done to help him.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 04:39 PM
I think it might have been creatinine. Vet said low end is good as long as we can get him eating so fingers crossed. He's not a great eater at the best of times.

I'm so sorry about Millie Rupert has responded well so far but the vet says it's now a case of waiting and seeing what the blood test shows in a couple of weeks. We have their mobile number in case he takes a sudden turn for the worse while they're closed.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Things sound a lot more positive, Sarah. It sounds promising that management will be successful.

So glad to hear that Rupert is feeling a little better too.

Hope you both have a lovely Christmas and that Rupert stays on the up and up xx
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 06:44 PM
That's really good news Moon's bloods were really really high as we didn't discover it until he was in end stage kidney failure Hopefully Rupert's being low means that it can be controlled with diet and medication and perhaps the odd drip to assist his kidneys when needed (it acts like dialysis). Yes, keeping him eating regularly is really important, we had to try and strike the balance between low phosphorous foods and just finding something, anything that he would eat. Mostly they won't eat because they feel ill when the urea is up and messes with their digestion, hopefully the drip will have made him feel better and therefore stimulate his appetite. Really REALLY hoping you can get it under control.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Poor boy

So glad he's feeling better today, hope he continues to improve xx Everything crossed here for you all xx
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Loki had chronic kidney failure. The vets wanted him on Hills KD but as he was gluten intolerant and the main ingredient is wheat I decided to prepare his food myself. Low phosphorous and low calcium are essential. I fed him on 50% white rice and 50% lamb or filleted fish. Avoid green veg, tinned fish and bones. He was better on this diet and was more lively. Do you know if it's chronic yet or acute? You have more chance of controlling it if it's acute. Sadly our Loki was born with abnormal kidneys so his was very advanced by the time we knew.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3