Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I have the problem that Rupert is over threshold the instant he spots what might be a dog far in the distance. Or hears a dog bark in the distance. Or hears the jingle of what might be dog tags. Blocking his sight of the dog results in him up on his back legs, peering around me, trying to drag me back to where he can see it etc.

I have enough problem behaviour and training books that I could open my own shop but nothing seems to cover what you do if your dogs reaction distance is so big it is impossible to keep him under threshold.
Yes Mia was much the same when I first got her - snarling and spitting meltdown with a dog shape on the horizon
after a short while you get just as alert as them - scanning everywhere just incase there is anything there

I tried getting 100% focus - but although in some situations she could be looking at me you could see she was major stressed and her ears were whirling round everywhere to see where the scary thing was
I am sure it works for some dogs but for Mia it seemed like now she was scared of the ghost in the shadows that she couldnt see

Having alot of collie in her the stare is difficult as well because she stalks her friends, stares at dogs she likes the look of - and stares at things she is scared of
But the look at that game has really helped - and at least now on a walk she will look back at me when she sees a new dog (in an offlead situation) the BAT thing sounds interesting too

From all the work I did I think the biggest change in her happend when I got my new car and she now travels in a covered crate in the boot
Being able to chill while driving to walks makes her much able to handle things when on walks

I dont think she will ever be 100% but she is so much better just now that I am thinking of pulling her out as a demo dog for my beginners agility
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 01:53 PM
I've mostly given up with Rupert and other dogs. I've found a field other dog walkers don't seem to use and we'll stick to walking there. Even if it does mean me avoiding man eating nettles He's happy there. He's relaxed, sniffing around, rolling in god knows what, sticking his nose down rabbit holes and just generally being a normal dog instead of a tense, hypervigilant one. I can't drive him there, even if I had a license the closest parking is by our flats, but it's only a very short walk. I'm hoping the enjoyment outweighs any stress of the walk there and back for him.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 05:32 PM
I've mostly given up with Rupert and other dogs. I've found a field other dog walkers don't seem to use and we'll stick to walking there. Even if it does mean me avoiding man eating nettles He's happy there. He's relaxed, sniffing around, rolling in god knows what, sticking his nose down rabbit holes and just generally being a normal dog instead of a tense, hypervigilant one. I can't drive him there, even if I had a license the closest parking is by our flats, but it's only a very short walk. I'm hoping the enjoyment outweighs any stress of the walk there and back for him.
I think sometimes that is the best option
We would all like our dogs to have loads of doggy friends and to be able to zoom about offlead in any situation

But sometimes that is never going to be best for the dog
Sounds like you are giving him the best and happiest life you can based on HIS needs
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I think sometimes that is the best option
We would all like our dogs to have loads of doggy friends and to be able to zoom about offlead in any situation

But sometimes that is never going to be best for the dog
Sounds like you are giving him the best and happiest life you can based on HIS needs

Well said.

I would love to be able to let Dex off lead at all our local parks, and to take him through woods etc. However I know I simply cannot, until I have nailed the recall 100% and can prevent him hurtling off after anything that moves, OR racing off to greet any and every dog he spies in the distance!

He is off lead at our nearest park but I am still working hard to 'proof' the recall in other places. And TBH not sure I will ever be able to let him off leash in woods and forests etc.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 07:01 PM
I have the problem that Rupert is over threshold the instant he spots what might be a dog far in the distance. Or hears a dog bark in the distance. Or hears the jingle of what might be dog tags. Blocking his sight of the dog results in him up on his back legs, peering around me, trying to drag me back to where he can see it etc.

I have enough problem behaviour and training books that I could open my own shop but nothing seems to cover what you do if your dogs reaction distance is so big it is impossible to keep him under threshold.
Sorry but I had to laugh at this!

That was exactly what Polo was like. Only since taking him to a reactive dog class and using controlled situations and stooge dogs was I able to create a distance which I could use in the real world.

Thankfully Polo LOVES his tug toy and in an emergency situation I just attach him to one end of it in order to get clear of dogs that he is going to react to. However, he is an extremely strong tugger and I have to ask him to release after every few seconds and then recommence before he has a chance to react. If I let him win the tug he kills it! And then looks up to see if the dog is still there. Its extremely hard work.

Thankfully, to date, Polo has never done damage in any altercations with dogs and his recall is good enough to be able to let him off for a run and I can call him back if I think he may approach another dog.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Hello tabitha I answered your question around a page back. Did you se e?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 08:14 PM
We've tried stooge dogs with Rupert but he gets to recognise individual dogs and not react to them while still reacting to unfamiliar dogs. He's been introduced to a lot of dogs, been off leash with them, been fine with them but none of it has made any difference at all. There's no distracting him either once he's fixated. To move him I have to pick his front end up and half carry him away.

Rupert has done rather serious damage in his altercations with other dogs, hence the muzzle. He's never attempted to attack another dog off leash but I can't trust him off leash, we've no enclosed area and he'd disappear over the horizon.

I'm certainly trying. Much as I'd love to be able to take him on some of the nice walks around here it just wouldn't be fair to him or to other dogs. Maybe on a day when it's truly vile weather I'll do it.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 09:15 PM
We've tried stooge dogs with Rupert but he gets to recognise individual dogs and not react to them while still reacting to unfamiliar dogs. He's been introduced to a lot of dogs, been off leash with them, been fine with them but none of it has made any difference at all. There's no distracting him either once he's fixated. To move him I have to pick his front end up and half carry him away.

Rupert has done rather serious damage in his altercations with other dogs, hence the muzzle. He's never attempted to attack another dog off leash but I can't trust him off leash, we've no enclosed area and he'd disappear over the horizon.

I'm certainly trying. Much as I'd love to be able to take him on some of the nice walks around here it just wouldn't be fair to him or to other dogs. Maybe on a day when it's truly vile weather I'll do it.
Bless him. I know what you mean about the weather. I love bad weather for having a relaxing walk undisturbed. It sounds like you have reached acceptance that Rupert is the way he is and work within his limitations. Just watch those nettles!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Nothing like walking through ankle deep mud in the pouring rain with the wind howling around you and being safe in the knowledge that you're probably the only person daft enough to choose to be out in it is there?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 09:54 PM
I think he sounds like he gets really excited to go out but is then a bit too anxious and "pent up" to actually deal calmly with the outside world?

I think asking for a "watch me" might be a little much for Dex? and is asking quite a lot of him. I think Amanda's suggestion is a good one. One thing I did when Loui was younger and at the "I need to do everything right now" stage was to teach 'calm' and that helped A LOT.

This is going to seems a strange post
I started indoors only so that he could learn what the word meant (and I mainly used it when he was sleepy and said the word and rewarded, then I added it before a command that he already knew) So I would let him fall asleep with his head on my lap being petted and told "goood caalm" in a soothing voice (yes I'm sure I will get laughed at here, the things you do for dogs..) A week later (I would imagine it might take longer with Dex, dont know) I was adding it so that we had "calm-come" and so on. It has actually helped me later on with dogs n stuff too though.

I'm not sure how to explain how it came about so I will try my best

It started with him being happy and excited and so when I called he RAN to me (too fast) and so it kinda went like:

I am happeee, I'll come to I am happy and I'm running, I like running, I'm happy I like running and look theres a dog and I like it too, and theres someone I dont know and it just all escalated!! I realise thats a very strange explanation but thats really the only way I can put it. It led to him on his tip toes, ears up, staring etc on walks, stalking dogs...(I dont mean hanging around, I mean stalking, kinda like collies, if you know what I mean?)

When I took him back to class I got major praise that week we did "calm-come" He actually did stay calm and came without, erm, doing anything wrong. (I remember wiping the sweat off my brow that week!)

But when it came into its own was later on after all our "lab incidents" when I could click for "calm" and even if he wasnt exactly Mr Laidback if he was better than last time it was improvement.

I do think recently I have been guilty of not rewarding the calming signals that have worked there way back to being on show and thats where I think Amandas suggestion is a good one. Its important to recognise those.

But I think teaching Dex what it actually is to be calm might be a good idea too?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >