View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 06:17 PM
The effect on the coat depends on the breed, the long term effect may or may not be attributed to the early neutering. As the above poster has said, it is up to you and your decision, would just ask you to ask yourself why you are doing it., and is it for your convenience of for the good of the dog who’s care is your responsibility.
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie
i-i-i...

That's messed things up big style! I was always sure she'd be spayed!
I really can't risk her mating and always felt that it would be more responsible to spay her...

I think, the best thing to do would be to ask my vet about it and see what they think, my vet always seems to do what is right for the animal never mind profits...

Lottie
Hi Lottie
I wouldn't dream of interfering with anyone's decision on what they want to do with their dog - personal opinions and all that.
I do think you may have received a surprise result from your question - lots of people against spaying and only a few in favour.
My girl is just over a year and I will be talking to the vet shortly, with a view to her being speyed next month.
We've been through her first season, and it was the first time I've had a bitch in season for many years. It was a total pain - not in terms of the drips etc, we used the sani-pants, she could go everywhere in the house etc) - but in terms of everyone being bored, her not proceding as she should with her lead walking, losing a bit of condition etc etc. It lasted a good three weeks.
The prospect of going through that, twice a year for ever, for no reason at all, just doesn't appeal.
Additionally, and most important, almost every unspeyed bitch I have known has developed pyometria in later life. It's a way different thing for a young fit girlie to have an op than for an elderly lady with a sudden infection to have to go through a general anaesthetic.
So, JMO, but I thought it worthwhile putting the 'pro' view.

............and, my girlie can play with whoever she wants, whenever she wants and we won't have any surprise puppies!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Hi I have two Stafford bitches. And both will be spayed ina couple of months actually. Sal will be almost 3 and Tess will be about 1 months. Tess has had two seasons so far and I just wanted to see what thye were like together being in season as I have heard that bitches can get tetchy but neither was.
So I am having them both spayed. The thing that drove them and me mad was the fact they could not go out. So I am not willing to go through that every 6 months or so although they both came in season this time together that was very convinent.
I have listen to all points of view and I would not have a bitch spayed before they were about 1 or at least until they had at least one season.
I wanted them to both be "grown up"
Karen
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-07-2005, 10:07 PM
This article may be of interest:
http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/neu...ion_12202.html

I have had one spayed bitch that 'leaked'. However, she was spayed prior to her first season and did not to start leaking until she was about 11 years old. So, probably due more to old age rather than a direct result of spaying. I have also had an unspayed bitch who developed mammary cancer. In my opinion the leaking is preferable to the health risks associated with intact bitches. But, the decision is a personal one and should be arrived at only after researching all the pros and cons.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
hi lottie... i am not getting indie speyed, altho i may get phoenix speyed when shes ready due to the fact ive heard its best to get at least one speyed if u have 2 bitches.
another question folks....is this best or not ?
only i thought one speayed one non speyed can cause dominance probs........dunno ?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-07-2005, 02:53 AM
Originally Posted by Inca
another question folks....is this best or not ?
only i thought one speayed one non speyed can cause dominance probs........dunno ?
I think it depends entirely of the temperament of the bitches involved. If they are vying for dominance and are both intact then spaying one will, in most cases, provide a definitive leader. This leader often turns out to be the spayed bitch, therefore the bitch that shows the edge in the dominance stakes should be the one spayed. If the less dominant is spayed this can bring her up to the intact bitch's level and problems will continue. Similarly if both are spayed there is no more difference than if both were left intact, and problems will continue.

That is my understanding of the issue.
SB
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2005, 05:19 AM
Not sure about Staffies they may be different for other breeds, but I have always thought that you either leave them both intact or you spay the lower status one. Have found some bitches do become more aggressive when spayed, again I do not know if this is always the case by I have found it to be so. Mind you bitches are more likly to to pushy than are dogs anyway.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks all,

I had been thinking about it last night anyway and have decided that she will be unless the vet gives me a good reason why not.

If it's only when they're older then there's a chance she could leak when older anyway and I don't think it's fair (not slating any of you) to keep a dog shut up for the three weeks they're in season. She'd go mad! I'd go mad!

So, I think, due to the risk of mammary cancer, and the inconvenience of keeping her shut up (yes Jackie, it is partially for my convenience) then I will have her done.

As far as convenience goes. If I can't handle keeping her shut up for 3 weeks every 6 months then it's better to have it done for my convenience than to let her get pregnant, surely?

Anyway, thankyou and I have passed this link onto a friend who wanted to know as well!

Thanks all for your answers, they've still helped because I was going to have her spayed after her first season but know now to wait until she's at least 1 year old.

Lottie
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2005, 12:35 PM
I had teagan spayed after her first season, this is when my vet recommended it.
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Yes I do! My Irish setter Potter became incontinent of urine about 18mnths after spaying. The vet said it is hormone related. The drops on meals didnt work, but she is now on daily Incurin and is dry all the time. She was 5 when spayed.

Apparently it is the bigger the dog, the more chance of incontinence.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3