View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Personally I think it is expensive considering it uses Chicken "Meat meal". Before we knew about Cherry's chicken allergy I used to feed mine on "Pero organic chicken and rice" which is organic and used chicken rather than meat meal.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
read my second post..i was 'musing' never said i had a problem with it
I was mostly referring to Smokey, but quoted you as well given what you posted - and didn't want you to feel left out (or Smokey to feel singled out).

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
First of all I cannot see any post that is "berating" Joe Inglis.
Are you forgetting "Just another vet jumping on the pet food bandwagon"? I guess you'd argue Joe didn't feel incensed enough to register - just to refute what you said either

Secondly I find it rather baffling that you have not intervened ONCE in other discussions about dog food, so why THIS particular one?
Maybe because the others don't interest me much? And I hardly call it an intervention - no more than anyone else's opinion anyway.

Out of all the commercially available dog food Joe's products are one of the few I short-listed to investigate further (to feed my own pets). When I get the time I plan to ask him a few questions regarding his products.

I also happen to like Joe, and his stance on many dog related matters - such as electric shock collars!

And ALL businessmen, big or small want to make the most profit they can do they not? That is good business sense.
You see, IMO, this is exactly one of the things that's wrong with the world. Popularity of programs like The Apprentice saddens me. The celebration of greed. Sickens me. Anyway perhaps that's a topic for another thread

To answer your question. NO. Not all businessmen want to screw as much out of their customers or the earth as possible. I'm one of them.

You cannot be suggesting can you that big conglomerate = BAD and small businessman = GOOD?!
No. I've been around the block enough however, to recognise how businesses operate, how their priorities differ, and how different proprietors can have a profound effect on how they go about things. You get good and bad in everything - although unfortunately, in business you (in my opinion anyway) get a lot of bad - you summed that up perfectly by your comment about all businesses wanting to make as much money as possible. Something I find quite nauseating.

As I said in my original post - you probably have more chance of engaging (on more than just a superficial level) with Joe regarding his products. He seems like a reasonable bloke, and if you can show him how to do something better/healthier/whatever in a mature, amicable fashion, I'm sure he'll be all ears.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Are you forgetting "Just another vet jumping on the pet food bandwagon"?

This is a statement, it does not "berate" anyone (unless of course YOUR meaning is totallly different to that of the OED)

You see, IMO, this is exactly one of the things that's wrong with the world. Popularity of programs like The Apprentice saddens me. The celebration of greed. Sickens me. Anyway perhaps that's a topic for another thread

I fail to see how the popularity of TV programmes has anything to do with businessmen making money?

Oh so Joe won't be making ANY money out of this venture at all then? And of course MAKING money ergo = greed? We must ALL be greedy then using that logic!

I wonder how you would suggest that we pay the mortgage etc without making money!?

It must be terribly sickening for you, no doubt you do not need money to live?

To answer your question. NO. Not all businessmen want to screw as much out of their customers or the earth as possible. I'm one of them.

Exactly right, they don't; so why the generalisation? Pointless.

No. I've been around the block enough however, to recognise how businesses operate, how their priorities differ, and how different proprietors can have a profound effect on how they go about things. You get good and bad in everything - although unfortunately, in business you (in my opinion anyway) get a lot of bad - you summed that up perfectly by your comment about all businesses wanting to make as much money as possible. Something I find quite nauseating.

I don't find making as much money as possible quite nauseating per se.

I would find making as much money as possible AT THE EXPENSE OF OTHERS nauseating, the two are not the same!

As I said in my original post - you probably have more chance of engaging (on more than just a superficial level) with Joe regarding his products. He seems like a reasonable bloke, and if you can show him how to do something better/healthier/whatever in a mature, amicable fashion, I'm sure he'll be all ears.
But I have no INTEREST in engaging Joe or anyone else on their products; I feed raw so commercial products such as his or anyone else's have absolutely no interest for me.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I was mostly referring to Smokey, but quoted you as well given what you posted - and didn't want you to feel left out (or Smokey to feel singled out).

Are you forgetting "Just another vet jumping on the pet food bandwagon"? I guess you'd argue Joe didn't feel incensed enough to register - just to refute what you said either

Maybe because the others don't interest me much? And I hardly call it an intervention - no more than anyone else's opinion anyway.

Out of all the commercially available dog food Joe's products are one of the few I short-listed to investigate further (to feed my own pets). When I get the time I plan to ask him a few questions regarding his products.

I also happen to like Joe, and his stance on many dog related matters - such as electric shock collars!

As someone who runs a small business I do understand what you're saying. However, I really think it's absurd to bash light entertainment such as The Apprentice. That programme, along with Dragons' Den, has actually inspired a lot of school kids to work on business-related projects and to believe that even if they are not academic, they can make something of themselves.

I agree with SMOKEY BEAR'S comments. Well said.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-06-2011, 09:53 PM
This is a statement, it does not "berate" anyone (unless of course YOUR meaning is totallly different to that of the OED)

I fail to see how the popularity of TV programmes has anything to do with businessmen making money?

Oh so Joe won't be making ANY money out of this venture at all then? And of course MAKING money ergo = greed? We must ALL be greedy then using that logic!

I wonder how you would suggest that we pay the mortgage etc without making money!?

It must be terribly sickening for you, no doubt you do not need money to live?

Exactly right, they don't; so why the generalisation? Pointless.

I don't find making as much money as possible quite nauseating per se.

I would find making as much money as possible AT THE EXPENSE OF OTHERS nauseating, the two are not the same!
There's a big difference between earning an honest living, and doing business in an ethical sustainable manner than what a large percentage of what conglomerates and other businesses do - only really caring about making as much profit as possible with little or no regard for the planet or others.

But I have no INTEREST in engaging Joe or anyone else on their products; I feed raw so commercial products such as his or anyone else's have absolutely no interest for me.
Oh that's ok then. Forget about everyone else's dogs. (And possibly what might be best for your own too.)

Not everyone can or will want to feed RAW.
Not everyone is convinced RAW is best, either.

Me, I'm open-minded enough to engage with anyone who's in a position to make a difference to the lives of dogs, everywhere.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
As someone who runs a small business I do understand what you're saying. However, I really think it's absurd to bash light entertainment such as The Apprentice. That programme, along with Dragons' Den, has actually inspired a lot of school kids to work on business-related projects and to believe that even if they are not academic, they can make something of themselves.

I agree with SMOKEY BEAR'S comments. Well said.
I don't think it's absurd to 'bash' what is essentially a celebration of a culture that I detest. As I said I am repulsed by the greed of such a large number of businesses.

It would sadden me if decency, honesty, integrity and care and consideration of others and our planet (and all its inhabitants) wasn't enough to inspire young people to go out there and 'make something of themselves'. And I bet whatever they'd make of themselves would be more agreeable than what Dragons Den and The Apprentice might produce!

PS - we're totally off topic - we should start a thread in the off-topic section to discuss this. If anyone wants to continue with this fork - please do so and post the link to it here so others can follow it if they want to.

Edit: Please note the thread has been split - to continue the fork about business and business ethics, please use this thread.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 05:36 PM
I seem to have missed this thread

Firstly Azz - excellent posts, very well put. You are right about raw, it doesnt suit all. I had mine on it for a year and it didnt agree, skin probs got worse with dreadful hot spots. Presently i feed our boy a complete feed with occassional raw. In fact tonight in with his kibble he got raw sirloin steak / didnt defrost well. We will have to make do with tinned tuna salad

Secondly why shouldnt a vet put his name to a product? A product produced by a vet would encourage folk to try it rather than not & yes i have bought it. (wet food). The dogs liked it, it smelt & looked good & you could see the ingredients it said was in it. I didnt keep it up as to feed 3 large dogs on it would have worked out a tad expensive. However hearing there is now a kibble variety i may well try it again sometime in the future.
Lama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Personally I think it is expensive considering it uses Chicken "Meat meal". Before we knew about Cherry's chicken allergy I used to feed mine on "Pero organic chicken and rice" which is organic and used chicken rather than meat meal.
I agree it is very expensive, perhaps Joe would care to give us a break down of costs ..production /nett profit etc
sammieb
New Member!
Female 

03-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Hi All... interesting topic.

If Joe @ Vet's Kitchen wants a perfect textbook candidate for his product then my dog Stewie is the perfect.

After back and forth trips to different Vets, my 3 yr old rescue staffie pooch has just recently been diagnoised with every allergy known to dogs .. resulting in a thinning coat, hotspots, gooey eyes, bacterial infections and the list goes on!! Anyway,I've had him for 2 years and have tried several foods trying to find one that can settle his tum ... He's been on VK light (150g he's a little chubby) for nearly a month now and I have seen a remarkable improvement - an empty food bowl, better looking coat and improvement to bald patches, less itching, and more importantly NO vomiting whatsoever. He seems very settled. So the proof is in the pudding!!

I'll keep you updated!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by sammieb View Post
Hi All... interesting topic.

If Joe @ Vet's Kitchen wants a perfect textbook candidate for his product then my dog Stewie is the perfect.

After back and forth trips to different Vets, my 3 yr old rescue staffie pooch has just recently been diagnoised with every allergy known to dogs .. resulting in a thinning coat, hotspots, gooey eyes, bacterial infections and the list goes on!! Anyway,I've had him for 2 years and have tried several foods trying to find one that can settle his tum ... He's been on VK light (150g he's a little chubby) for nearly a month now and I have seen a remarkable improvement - an empty food bowl, better looking coat and improvement to bald patches, less itching, and more importantly NO vomiting whatsoever. He seems very settled. So the proof is in the pudding!!

I'll keep you updated!
Hi Sammie, that's good to hear.

Could you give us the list of all the allergies your dog has been diagnosed with and the specific variety/flavour of Vet's Kitchen food you are feeding please? Thanks!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >