Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by DVNBIKER View Post
ok so have only been feeding raw for three months and they get a varied diet of different meats and I am introducing more bone each month.

Two of my BCs compete in agility and need to be in tip top condition. The two older ones have Joint aid and they all have Fish4Dogs salmon oil - so am I correct that because I feed fish oil they need more vitamin C especially as they are competition dogs?
If so what is the best thing to find this in or am I looking at a supplement which is something I would rather not do?

You need to supplement with Vitamin E if you feed salmon oil etc that does not already contain this as the latter depletes the body of the former.

Agility dogs are only in a ring for 30 seconds, so their needs are not as heavy as those involved in more demanding sports. But you can feed Vitamin C to bowel tolerance.
DvnBiker
Dogsey Junior

22-05-2011, 06:07 PM
ummm its a little more than 30 seconds in a ring believe me - its all the training that goes with it as well.

Will check the pack to see if vitimin E is added.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 06:15 PM
ummm its a little more than 30 seconds in a ring believe me - its all the training that goes with it as well.

Will check the pack to see if vitimin E is added.
Yes,I have done a bit of agility myself, believe me!
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Like you I do not like vit. suppliments and vit. e suppliments come in different forms.(d alpha right handed natural or ld alpha left handed synthetic.) Synthetic being 50% less effective.)If you feed fish oils the process used removes vit. e. so you would need to add extra vit e. A better way would be to feed whole fish as this contains adequate natural vit.e.I feed my dog one whole fresh mackerel portioned into several pieces then feed throughout the week.You can freeze any surplus potions to use when required.Vit.c is an antioxident cousin of vite.e. but a healthy dog can make enough in its body and shouldn't require extra unless there is a health issue.Stick to natural food source if you can.
DvnBiker
Dogsey Junior

22-05-2011, 06:36 PM
well this is what they are getting - I use it mainly for their coats but maybe I shouldnt bother now that they are on a raw diet

http://www.fish4dogs.com/Products/salmon-oil-500ml.aspx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 06:52 PM
well this is what they are getting - I use it mainly for their coats but maybe I shouldnt bother now that they are on a raw diet

http://www.fish4dogs.com/Products/salmon-oil-500ml.aspx
You cannot really OD on oil and all diets are low in Omega 3s including ours.

Vitamin E is safe to add 200 - 400 iu per day, and most of our dogs do not eat sufficient raw fish to get the required amount of Omega 3s from them. You can of course give tinned mackeral/pilchards/sardines etc.

Just because you feed raw does not mean you cannot give convenience food at times! l)

Vitamin E supplements are labelled d-alpha tocopherol (natural) or dl-alpha-tocopherol (synthetic); the latter are cheaper the former are more bio available.

The process that depletes the body of Vitamin E is not that involved in Omega 3 production etc, but inside the body itself
DvnBiker
Dogsey Junior

22-05-2011, 06:58 PM
they have tinned pilchards/sardines once a week as they love them
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Yep, they often prefer them to raw!
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2011, 07:11 PM
The process that depletes the body of Vitamin E is not that involved in Omega 3 production etc, but inside the body itself [/QUOTE]
This is incorrect processing strips vit.e the very reason for the need to suppliment fish oils with extra vit.e .Oily fish eaten in it's natural state does not need added suppliments.The body will use natural vits. more efficiently than chemical synthetics.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2011, 07:16 PM
they have tinned pilchards/sardines once a week as they love them
Absolutely fine Pilchards are grown up sardines.I get fresh sprats sometimes they are very good and fairly cheap.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >