View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Gah, I dunno, I'm horribly confused about the whole bloody thing to be honest. I know I can't re-enter the UK for 6 months after the blood test which is fine as we're going to be there for 3 years.

The person I spoke to on the phone said that to take him out there I don't need to have the blood test done until we get out to Germany, what's all that about?
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Mine have beem jabbed , blood test due next week , can travel in aug for 3 weeks and then back to Uk having blood test in spain 48hrs before departure , thats my understanding of DEFRA rules ?
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
The person I spoke to on the phone said that to take him out there I don't need to have the blood test done until we get out to Germany, what's all that about?
No, you don't NEED to have the blood test to take him out to Germany, but in practice it's just as easy to get it done before you go.

All he actually needs to travel to Gemany is a Pet Passport (usually called a Europass in Germany) which shows that he is microchipped and has been vaccinated against rabies - he can travel 28 days after the vaccination.

To bring him BACK to the UK you have to have had a blood test done six months previous to the date of travel.

HTH
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-02-2011, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
Mine have beem jabbed , blood test due next week , can travel in aug for 3 weeks and then back to Uk having blood test in spain 48hrs before departure , thats my understanding of DEFRA rules ?
No, they don't have a blood test 48 hours before - they must be treated BY A VET against ticks and tapeworm at least 24 hrs and less than 48 hrs before entering the UK.

The usual treatment is Frontline and Drontal - if you are coming back from Spain by road you will have to time the treatment VERY carefully - or find a vet in France on the way back.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by cesky2000 View Post
No, you don't NEED to have the blood test to take him out to Germany, but in practice it's just as easy to get it done before you go.

All he actually needs to travel to Gemany is a Pet Passport (usually called a Europass in Germany) which shows that he is microchipped and has been vaccinated against rabies - he can travel 28 days after the vaccination.

To bring him BACK to the UK you have to have had a blood test done six months previous to the date of travel.

HTH
If you have the titre test done in the UK before you go then he will not need anything other than a rabies booster when due to keep the passport valid & the tick treat ment to be able to come back to the UK whenever you want in the future(after the initial 6 months of course)otherwise you have to wait for 6 months after a titre test abroad to validate the passport.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
If you have the titre test done in the UK before you go then he will not need anything other than a rabies booster when due to keep the passport valid & the tick treat ment to be able to come back to the UK whenever you want in the future(after the initial 6 months of course)otherwise you have to wait for 6 months after a titre test abroad to validate the passport.
also.. (and u may not agree with me here) but imo you want the blood test as close to the vaccine as u can to avoid a low(ie failed) titre result.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Well we've opted to have the blood test done over here a month after the vaccine so all should be good there.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
also.. (and u may not agree with me here) but imo you want the blood test as close to the vaccine as u can to avoid a low(ie failed) titre result.
I agree too

Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Well we've opted to have the blood test done over here a month after the vaccine so all should be good there.
Best idea then you know that as long as you keep up the Rabies vax you can bring him back if you come back here for a visit after 6 months
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3