Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Briard Lover View Post
I was at the front with Dillon on my lap, as advised by the breeder as it's a better ride, he slept most of the two hour drive home.
This was what Isla's breeder advised (journey from Dorset to North Yorkshire) as one of their dogs was severely traumatised by being transported in a crate as an 8 week old pup. After that the dog could never travel in a car again without being severely stressed. Something to consider I think.

Isla was on the back seat with my friend for the trip home, there's more room if the pup does wriggle etc. I'd advise to take some vetbed, that way if there is an accident it won't matter. We took a puppy pad and stopped halfway up and put it in the boot to try and encourage Isla to wee on it. She refused and I found out why when I got back - she'd already done it on the vetbed!
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Milo sat on my knee whilst OH drove and this was a two hour drive. He wasn't sick and didn't wee/poo. He cried a bit at first but soon settled down to sleep
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 08:27 AM
When we went and got Bo, the OH did the driving and Bo sat on my lap, after a bit of faffing about he slept most of the way and was sick once, all over me , it was about an hour and 45 mins drive.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 08:38 AM
I agree with Abbie - safety first always! You wouldn't carry a baby on your lap (I hope!) so why is a puppy different?

I always leave a small blanket with the breeder a couple of weeks before I am due to pick up the puppy so it is going home with some familiar smells. I use a puppy crate and have never had any problems.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 08:55 AM
I wouldn'd have on my lap, purely from a safety point of view. I'd have a crate/cat carrier and have it strapped in with someone next to him to reassure.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 09:13 AM
With both of ours i had them on my lap with a towel and Dave drove. Ela was fine and settled ok Raina was a bit sick and unsetled so we poped her in the boot and i sat in the back about half way. She is not as settled in the car to this day as Ela though.
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2010, 09:29 AM
we wrapped Missy in a towel supplied by the breeder and then she was on my O/H's lap. She was very scared at first, but didn't struggle. Not a long journey though, only from Eltham to Romford (about 50 mins)
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Cruiser was 13wks when we collected him and he was in his crate which was built into the rear of the Transit van..(seiko's was on the other side)..He travelled fine for the 8hr trip in the crate and stil jumps in when the van doors are open!
He was too big and heavy at that age for either of the kids to hold onto and too big and heavy to be flying around the interior of the van if we were in an accident..
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I brought Sam home on my lap. My other Cairn had slept all the way in the same circs, but not Sam, he was keen to be looking out the window etc. not at all a tired pup. Little monster! Ailsa came back from Litchfield in a crate in the back of the Trooper and Jake was in the same crate a few years later. Poor Jake had weed in the truck before we collected him and on the way to our house he messed himself and was sick. Obviously it was just nerves and fright poor little mite and none of them had any subsequent travelling problems. They all love the car and queue up to get in it whether we're going anywhere or not! lol
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 01:03 PM
I have brought all my pups home on my lap with OH driving .
I have plenty of towels , fleece blankets and plenty of carrier bags to put any soiled stuff in . Never needed to use the carrier bags as they slept all the way home
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3